Oct 1, 2004 #1 D DellAxim Gawd Joined Feb 14, 2003 Messages 999 Putting a computer together for my Mom. I've got either a P4 1.6ghz, with 512mb DDR (don't remember the speed - it's old and generic) or an Athlon 2400+ with 512mb of PC133. Which would be faster?
Putting a computer together for my Mom. I've got either a P4 1.6ghz, with 512mb DDR (don't remember the speed - it's old and generic) or an Athlon 2400+ with 512mb of PC133. Which would be faster?
Oct 1, 2004 #2 I iownyou14 Limp Gawd Joined Aug 14, 2004 Messages 473 I think the 2400+ is faster but doent A socket mobos support DDR memory. Mine sure does. Just use the 2400+ with the 512ddr.
I think the 2400+ is faster but doent A socket mobos support DDR memory. Mine sure does. Just use the 2400+ with the 512ddr.
Oct 1, 2004 #3 G gmkmay Gawd Joined Aug 20, 2004 Messages 649 Go with the 2400 (even if it is pc133). Doubt she'll be running anything that needs the extra memory bandwidth.
Go with the 2400 (even if it is pc133). Doubt she'll be running anything that needs the extra memory bandwidth.
Oct 1, 2004 #4 T theNoid Supreme [H]ardness Joined Dec 23, 2003 Messages 7,441 I don't think any board that supports the 2400+ even support SD ram. You want to use the 2400+ because it is extremely faster, but use the DDR ram.
I don't think any board that supports the 2400+ even support SD ram. You want to use the 2400+ because it is extremely faster, but use the DDR ram.
Oct 1, 2004 #5 D DellAxim Gawd Joined Feb 14, 2003 Messages 999 The DDR is not an option with the Athlon. Yes, the motherboard accepts SDRAM. (K7S5A Pro)
Oct 1, 2004 #6 K Kevin003 Gawd Joined Jul 15, 2004 Messages 934 Yeah the 2400 is definetly faster, have fun finding ram for it
Oct 1, 2004 #7 Bugalaman Really a Ugandachick 2FA Joined Apr 3, 2002 Messages 3,277 the k7s5a does have ddr and SDR slots right? why not use ddr?
Oct 1, 2004 #8 D DellAxim Gawd Joined Feb 14, 2003 Messages 999 Kevin003 said: Yeah the 2400 is definetly faster, have fun finding ram for it Click to expand... No shit. The question is, WITH THE RESPECTIVE RAM, which is faster?
Kevin003 said: Yeah the 2400 is definetly faster, have fun finding ram for it Click to expand... No shit. The question is, WITH THE RESPECTIVE RAM, which is faster?
Oct 1, 2004 #9 K KevC Supreme [H]ardness Joined Oct 21, 2001 Messages 6,365 I do believe he just wants to keep both computers operational. And since the P4 mobo doesn't accept SDR, he's gonna keep the SDR w/the 2400+. 2400+ w/SDR will be faster. Just wont do too well in bandwidth intensive tasks such as gaming/video/audio editing. P4@1.6GHz is an awesome overclocker, but I doubt you have a dual channel chipset or any fast memory so it'll still be slower w/the 2400+.
I do believe he just wants to keep both computers operational. And since the P4 mobo doesn't accept SDR, he's gonna keep the SDR w/the 2400+. 2400+ w/SDR will be faster. Just wont do too well in bandwidth intensive tasks such as gaming/video/audio editing. P4@1.6GHz is an awesome overclocker, but I doubt you have a dual channel chipset or any fast memory so it'll still be slower w/the 2400+.