• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which is better?

pageian

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 15, 2002
Messages
3,257
Since I'm too lazy to actually run benchies myself I'm wondering if someone can tell me which folds better, a 1.8 GHz Duron or an Athlon XP 1700 (1.46 GHz)? I'm assuming the Duron is faster given the higher mhz and the same bus but.... :confused:

I'll just sit back and wait for Tigerbitten to expand my knowledge now. :)
 
pageian said:
Since I'm too lazy to actually run benchies myself I'm wondering if someone can tell me which folds better, a 1.8 GHz Duron or an Athlon XP 1700 (1.46 GHz)? I'm assuming the Duron is faster given the higher mhz and the same bus but.... :confused:

I'll just sit back and wait for Tigerbitten to expand my knowledge now. :)

Probably the Duron. They both have SSE. The major difference is the cache (to the best of my knowledge).


 
Hito Bahadur said:
Probably the Duron. They both have SSE. The major difference is the cache (to the best of my knowledge).

And the cache really has no impact on folding.

cpu frequency is the determining factor from my experience. Although i may be proven wrong.

just my two cents

Buck
 
That was my thought too. Cache is the only real difference between this Duron and the XP. Just wanted to make sure since I haven't kept up with different cpu folding speeds lately. Thanks.
 
I'd pick the Duron over the XP for other tasks as well because the extra 340 MHz is going to give you more benefit even in programs that would like more cache.
 
Couldn't you EASILY take the 1700+ to 1.8 Ghz? Course, you could OC the duron too. Guess biggest deciding factor would be price.
 
SulSeeker said:
Couldn't you EASILY take the 1700+ to 1.8 Ghz? Course, you could OC the duron too. Guess biggest deciding factor would be price.

Actually I've already got both, I've been using the duron, just wanted to make sure it's the right choice. The 1700+ only does a little over 1.6 GHz overclocked, you can only change the fsb on this motherboard. Any overclock seems to screw up it's wireless connection so I probably won't be messing with it anyway.

I guess it was pointless to ask the question anyway because now I'm just going to find a board to put the 1700 in so they'll both be running. I can't stand to have it sit around doing nothing. :p
 
That's the spirit! get 'em both folding!!!


Keep on Folding!!

 
pageian said:
Actually I've already got both, I've been using the duron, just wanted to make sure it's the right choice. The 1700+ only does a little over 1.6 GHz overclocked, you can only change the fsb on this motherboard. Any overclock seems to screw up it's wireless connection so I probably won't be messing with it anyway.

I guess it was pointless to ask the question anyway because now I'm just going to find a board to put the 1700 in so they'll both be running. I can't stand to have it sit around doing nothing. :p

I've got a nice board that you could use. It would have to be a good trade or sale though. PM me if interested.
 
Wire mod the CPU if the bord can't change the multiplier... or close the bridges and then try and change it.

Damn the FSB, Full fold ahead matey!!! ARRR!!!

(You people have gotten me sickenly addicted to this... I'm trying to figure out if I wanna fold on my GF's mom's 486dx4-133.)
 
SulSeeker said:
Wire mod the CPU if the bord can't change the multiplier... or close the bridges and then try and change it.

Damn the FSB, Full fold ahead matey!!! ARRR!!!

(You people have gotten me sickenly addicted to this... I'm trying to figure out if I wanna fold on my GF's mom's 486dx4-133.)

That may be pushing it.
 
My Pentium II 233 is pumping out a massive 16 points a day :)

So I hear yah!




 
Back
Top