which is better?

realmatrix

n00b
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
38
I am building my HTPC..will be posting pics soon

Which audio setup will give best results..:confused:

Routing digital audio from motherboard (through spdif) to DENON AVR 1508 connected to a 5.1 speaker setup.

Purchasing a discrete sound card .which will be connected to a 5.1 speakers through (line out ports from sound card ) .

I believe If I will be pairing up HTPC with AVR..then sound processing will be offloaded from the CPU..and to the AVR..is this correct?
 
Is the HTPC for gaming or just video use?

What audio chip is on your motherboard? Does it support dolby digital live or dts connect?

If no, then I'd look into a discrete sound card with those capabilities.

When using the receiver and a digital connection the receiver will do the decoding and A/D conversion.

Side note if you're doing blu-ray or hd-dvd:
Right now there really isn't a good way to get HD formats like LCPM, DTS-HD, etc from an HTPC, things will be better when better HDMI-capable sound cards are in the market. Till then DDL is probably the best option for HTPCs.
 
I will be using mostly for h264 videos and occasional gaming. the onboard VIA VT1708B on asus p5kpl-cm does support dts connect (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/vt1708b/index.jsp)

Sounds like you're good to go with the receiver setup then, since the receiver appears to decode DTS. If the receiver had analog inputs I'd say get a sound card so you can have EAX and other effects, but for mostly video use the digital will be more than ample.
 
Sounds like you're good to go with the receiver setup then, since the receiver appears to decode DTS. If the receiver had analog inputs I'd say get a sound card so you can have EAX and other effects, but for mostly video use the digital will be more than ample.

Keep in mind if the receiver had analog inputs using them usually means bypassing any room eq, time delay, volume leveling, bass management features that the receiver may provide.
 
Keep in mind if the receiver had analog inputs using them usually means bypassing any room eq, time delay, volume leveling, bass management features that the receiver may provide.

Yeah I guess digital would still be ideal, since you'd get the EAX and whatnot wrapped up into that delicious DDL/DTS wrapper for your receiver.
 
Back
Top