which is better ATI 9000 or Geforce 5200

higney85

n00b
I have a laptop and my only choices of video cards is the ATI 9000 64mb or the nvidia FX5200 64mb. Both have the same memory but other than that which would be better for games?

If you're talking about the Mobility Radeon 9000 and the GeForce Go FX5200, then yeah, they're both roughly comparable to each other in overall performance. Neither chip will play DX9 games very well, and both chips play current games about the same. Every single notebook that I've seen has integrated video graphics that's not upgradable at all whatsoever.

Originally posted by V0ltage
9000 is faster, but you should really get a ti4200.

Actually, he has (or is considering) a laptop whose graphics offers very limited upgradability, if at all. Look at his original post. You cannot put a full-size Ti4200 at all whatsoever inside any notebook or laptop computer! Mobile versions of the Ti4200 are rare.

Originally posted by E4g1e
Actually, he has (or is considering) a laptop whose graphics cannot be upgraded at all whatsoever. Look at his original post. You cannot put a Ti4200 at all whatsoever inside any notebook or laptop computer! Mobile versions of the Ti4200 don't exist at all whatsoever!
Dell Inspiron 8500 and Latitude D800 have Ti4200's.

Between the 9000 and 5200... geez... I've seen comparisons where the Geforce 4 440 MX beats the 5200, I'd probably go with the 9000. At least I know AA and AF to be usable on old games...

I have a 5150 and the cards are swappable but only between the 2 mentioned. I currently have the 9000 64mb so Ill just keep what I have for now. Thanx

Mobile versions of the Ti4200 don't exist at all whatsoever!
Then I have the unpossible laptop video card. ;)

It's the NV28M, not really a true mobile chip since it doesn't support true dynamic power modes like the other GF Go chips. It's just a low voltage (1.05v-1.25v max vs 1.65v on the Ti4200), lower clocked (196/400 vs 250/500) GF4 Ti chip in a mobile package. It still rocks though. Mine overclocks pretty decently, too.

Actually, he has (or is considering) a laptop whose graphics cannot be upgraded at all whatsoever. Look at his original post. You cannot put a Ti4200 at all whatsoever inside any notebook or laptop computer! Mobile versions of the Ti4200 don't exist at all whatsoever!

stop saying at all whatsoever

Unless you're gaming, either card will be fine. If you're gaming, both cards are to weak to run anything recent at acceptable resolutions and framerates so I'm not sure how much the choice matters.

Back