Which is better 2TB drive. WD Green or Seagate Barracuda LP?

havokator

Limp Gawd
Which of these two drives is better? They are both the exact same price.

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST320005N4A1AS-RK

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARS

Which of these two drives is better? They are both the exact same price.

Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST320005N4A1AS-RK

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARS

I can't comment on the WD but I do happen to have the seagate and haven't had any issues yet. Honestly they appear to be equal drives. I do have a friend who has the WD one and he also hasn't had any complaints. As for Benchmarks I can upload some tomorrow if you want for the seagate.

I have 8 of the Seagates and 12 of the older WD20EADS WDs. For desktop use, flip a coin. For raid, the Seagates work with scterc whereas the WD doesn't.

I have had 1 of my 2TB Seagate LP drives fail on me after a year. Replaced and works fine.

FWIW, I have bought 8 of the Seagate 2TB drives over the last year.
1 failed and was promptly replaced by Seagate
1 exhibited "issues" until I updated Firmware to CC35.
6 have been fine.
I did update firmware on all that did not ship with CC35.

I've been running 10x of the Seagate 2TB LP (ST320005N4A1AS is retail, I have the OEM SKU) drives on an Adaptec 5805 with a LSI SASX28 based backplane for some time now without any problems.

Seems like the Seagate is on the expensive side. Why not get a low cost Samsung or Hitachi?

I personally like WD just because they dont charge for advanced replacement, while Seagate does...

Back