which is best way to Backup Windows server 2003 using Backup exec 9.0

bharatp80

n00b
Hello Everyone,

I have one single windwos 2003 server(dell poweredge 2850 series) which is used to store account information.or you can say its a accounting Server.

It has a DELL Digital Disk storage DAT72 Tape drive and DAT72-170M (35 Ghz)DELL cartridge we r using to take backup.

I have backup exec 9.0 software already installed and configured to take daily FULL backup.it was working just fine before it has started creating problem.

Earlier the backup folder size was bebow 39GHz and i am taking backup in compress mode so it was working just fine.but now databse size has increased to 45 Ghz and tape comress ratio is not so good. it is 0.5:1 so i am not able to take back up in single tape .job runs and after some time it is asking for to insert new tape because of the space on single tape is not suffiecient to store all datas.

(1)I am just asking you to provide me a good and reliable suggestion how can i
accurately take backup daily with this current backup exec software.

(2)how to set up remote backup.i need to know about that also.
currently we have 3 MBPS T1 line with this server.is it posssible to transfer 45 GHz of data on this T1? or what is the mimimum requirement for remote back up.please need yr help .

Thanks for all yr comments and suggestion.and in advance thanks for yr valuable time.

Thank you,
Bharat.

IF it is a contract requirement that you must have daily full backups then there is no other choice: you must either purchase a tape drive with a larger capacity or an auto-loading tape system.

IF it is not a contract requirement I'd suggest you set up weekly full backups and differentials during the weekdays. That should improve your backup time and tape usage.

Your best bet is still to either purchase an autoloader or, at the very least, a tape drive with more capacity.

Can i find higher capacity tape cartridge for DAT72 ?

where can i find that

Thanks for yr suggestion.

Bharat.

Hi Orinthical,
If i have understood you correctly them you mean to buy higher capacity tape drive and tape cartridge both?...
also would like to know from you about that is DAT72 tape cartridge maximum capacity is 36/72 GB...or i can find higher capacity cartridge for this...

can you provide me a link for the pricing info for drive with a larger capacity or an auto-loading tape system?
What is the auto loading tape system..i do not know any thing about it.

Thanks for yr valuable suggestion.

I appreciate yr help.

thanks,
Bharat.

Hi Orinthical,
If i have understood you correctly them you mean to buy higher capacity tape drive and tape cartridge both?...
Correct.

also would like to know from you about that is DAT72 tape cartridge maximum capacity is 36/72 GB...or i can find higher capacity cartridge for this...
Different tapes may give you a better compression ratio but that is doubtful since the compression ratio typically has more to do with the type of data you are backing up. The DAT72 spec is 36/72 so there really isn't a way of getting any more out of it without upgrading.

can you provide me a link for the pricing info for drive with a larger capacity or an auto-loading tape system?
Something like this is basically the same thing you have just with more capacity:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_rd1000?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Where-as something like this would be ideal:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/tapeb_auto?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

What is the auto loading tape system..i do not know any thing about it.
If you look at the ideal link above, those are auto-loaders. You put multiple tapes inside of the device and it automatically uses them as they are needed. Little to no user intervention is necessary.

Back