which ipod?

NotJay

2[H]4U
so im planning to purchase ipod for myself in a week or so
currently im leaning toward ipod touch for fancy screen and capability to play games etc
but i dont know if $300 price tag is worth it over cheaper models
so current ipod touch owners are you satisfied with ipod touch or should i just grab classic ipod?
p.s i do not have iphone obviously

For me it's about the music and not so much the fancy apps, I rock an old 1st gen nano as my car stereo and 4g imod Photo. My brother and sister can't live without the widgets though, they play with that stuff more than they listen to tunes.

The 5.5/5g ipod is really sweet too though, they can handle up to 240GB right now with the right mods!!

Bottom line is, do you want to just listen to music or would you rather "play" around with it? Answer is clear beyond that!

I've got a 160gb Classic and a 32gb iPod Touch and I think they both have their uses. If you travel a lot (either commuting by train/bus or take a lot of flights), the large screen size of the iPod Touch can't be beat. My eyes get tired of watching video on the Classic after 60-90 minutes. But for volume of data, you can't beat that 160gb. I have every single CD I own backed up onto the iPod. I encode them at a higher bitrate than the default, as well. Too bad 160gb was just a teensy bit too small for lossless. But using AAC lets me put videos on it.

Really depends what you want from it:

Touch: travelers friend & great for those bored in class / meetings

Classic: for those who need all their music with them all the time

Nano: smaller, lighter version of the classic really

I know the Classics have a pretty decent DAC in them and there's a rather easy mod to get line-out audio from the 30-pin Apple connector, which if sent to an amp and the iPod is hacked to take lossless audio files, makes a pretty damn good media player.

Here's my take:
I've had a 80 gig classic 5.5 g, sold it and got a 3g Nano, sold it and got a Iphone 3g, sold it and got a Touch..

I love the touch. I actually loved the iphone but couldnt' stand the $90 bill everymonth so the touch does it for me now.

The apps/email/webbrowsing audiobooks, music, pandora, etc all make it worth it while laying in bed. You have no idea how much email I get while in bed (I sleep days becuase I work nights)

I would definatly look for a used Touch if you are worried about the price. I got a 8g 2nd gen model for $160 including a $30 case so that's not too bad.

I like the touch, especially the music interface. I frankly dont love the regular iPod UI that much (Zune is better IMO for navigation, the iPod UI is aging).

I really just use my touch for music and checking my email/stocks in class.

I have an iPod Touch 1G 16GB that I love. I've had it for a year and a half now, and it has been wonderful. Only complaints I can think of have been resolved. One is the lack of volume control buttons. I hate having to turn the screen on to adjust the volume when I'm walking. The other is the lack of a built-in speaker for games and things. Obviously, the 2nd gen. fixed both these complaints. If you buy the new 2G Touch, I'm sure you will absolutely love it.

Couldn't live without my 2G 32gb iPod Touch. I use it every single day for at least an hour. Best buy I've made in a long time.

Back