• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which Intel Processor is "Faster"?

Marc Ross Miller

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
69
Can anyone say if the Intel Extreme QX 9775 (12 M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 1600 MHz) is "faster" than the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650@3.0 GHz?

Thanks again.
 
The Q9650 is a Q9550 with a higher clock, the QX9775 is just a higher clock of that (pretty much), so stock for stock the QX9775 will be faster, as it has a faster stock clock, but if you are asking is there something about the QX9775 other than stock clock speed that makes it faster, then no, you could just as easy pick up a Q9550 and OC it to 3.20GHz (a VERY easy OC) and it would be just as fast as the QX9775, however the QX9775 is not for the LGA775 socket, its for the LGA771 socket. I don't know if you are looking to buy one of these or if you are just wondering, but the "Extreme" line of Intel chips are a waste unless you have allot of money to blow, I think they still sell on ebay for like 600+ bucks, more than enough to not only get an i7 chip (which will kick the QX9775's ass clock for clock, they also OC very easy) but a good motherboard also. With the extreme chips you get an unlocked multiplier, that's about it, there is no warranty saying it's going to get a better OC etc.
 
you could just as easy pick up a Q9550 and OC it to 3.20GHz (a VERY easy OC) and it would be just as fast as the QX9775, ....[snip]

My C1 (Not the best.) is at 3.66Ghz and I agree 100%. Why pay them to OC it when you can save money and do it yourself. (Again, if you have money to burn, and don't like the thought of OCing, I guess it could worth it.)
 
An i5 750 is faster than both of those. And, it's only $150. /thread
 
Can anyone say if the Intel Extreme QX 9775 (12 M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 1600 MHz) is "faster" than the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650@3.0 GHz?

Thanks again.

All Q9650's are E0's so you are guarenteed to get a nice overclock, probably higher than what you would get from a QX9775.

An i5 750 is faster than both of those. And, it's only $150. /thread

Yeah because things like a new motherboard and DDR3 are free amirite? An overclocked Core2Quad is still extremely fast and would give an i5 a run for it's money.
 
Thanks to you all. I have a Q9650 processor on my pc and I'll probably ask a PC specialist to overclock it, given what you have said.

If I get an i-i7 Processor then I would also buy an appropriate motherboard and DDR3 memory. The cost is not the obstacle. Rather, the PC specialist tells that it would be like building or-rebuilding a car.

Can anyone say if this is true?

Thanks again.
 
For the record, the QX9775 is actually an LGA771 CPU for the Skulltrail platform, so it wouldn't work in the same motherboard as a Q9650. The comparable LGA775 CPU is the QX9770.
 
Thanks to you all. I have a Q9650 processor on my pc and I'll probably ask a PC specialist to overclock it, given what you have said.

If I get an i-i7 Processor then I would also buy an appropriate motherboard and DDR3 memory. The cost is not the obstacle. Rather, the PC specialist tells that it would be like building or-rebuilding a car.

Can anyone say if this is true?

Thanks again.

For the i7 CPU, you need the CPU (duh), a new motherboard (1366 socket) and DDR3 RAM, hardware wise that's about it, everything else can be moved over to the new rig, and for the common $600 bucks for the QX CPU you could get all 3 of those. And paying someone to OC a CPU is a waste of money if you ask me.
 
Thanks to you all. I have a Q9650 processor on my pc and I'll probably ask a PC specialist to overclock it, given what you have said.

If I get an i-i7 Processor then I would also buy an appropriate motherboard and DDR3 memory. The cost is not the obstacle. Rather, the PC specialist tells that it would be like building or-rebuilding a car.

Can anyone say if this is true?

Thanks again.

I can rebuild a pc (cpu, moboard, ram, hsf, etc.), but I can't rebuild a car. Rebuilding a pc is a lot easier than rebuilding a car. A reasonably intelligent person can figure out how to rebuild a pc with some help (there are guides on several different websites). And overclocking a pc is easier than easy these days. Your "pc specialist" probably needs the business.

CB
 
Last edited:
I can rebuild a pc (cpu, moboard, ram, hsf, etc.), but I can't rebuild a car. Rebuilding a pc is a lot easier than rebuilding a car. A reasonably intelligent person can figure out how to rebuild a pc with some help (there are guides on several different websites). And overclocking a pc is easier than easy these days. Your "pc specialist" probably needs your business.

CB

I can agree with this, wile I worked with cars (built Mopar race cars) and can rebuild one blindfolded, building a PC does not take months, a million kind of tools or the massive amounts of technical working knowledge of rebuilding a car does, the kind of PC "build" that is being talked about I could do in a few minutes. Replacing a Motherboard, putting in a CPU and slapping some RAM into their slots is very straight forward.
 
I can agree with this, wile I worked with cars (built Mopar race cars) and can rebuild one blindfolded, building a PC does not take months, a million kind of tools or the massive amounts of technical working knowledge of rebuilding a car does, the kind of PC "build" that is being talked about I could do in a few minutes. Replacing a Motherboard, putting in a CPU and slapping some RAM into their slots is very straight forward.



You ASS!!! Don't let the geek secret out. Family members think we are rocket scientitsts! :D
 
You ASS!!! Don't let the geek secret out. Family members think we are rocket scientitsts! :D

God I WISH, nothing I hate more than working on family members computers, #1 they want free work #2 if something else goes wrong down the road, it's your fault. :mad:
 
Back
Top