• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which i5 to buy?

a5692chris

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
6
Right now I have a 1156 motherboard with an i3-550. I've upgraded pretty much everything except the processor and 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade to an i5 for better performance in hd video editing and raw image editing and some light gaming. I know that I'm limited to about 10 of the first gen i5's. I don't know which one to buy. And if I need to upgrade the power supply. Any comment/advise would be appreciated.
 
2500k would be a solid chip for you and it depends on what else you have in the case for the p/s. 300W isn't much now days. If you have a mid to high end graphics card, I'd probably upgrade to at least a 500-600W ps.
 
2500k would be a solid chip for you and it depends on what else you have in the case for the p/s. 300W isn't much now days. If you have a mid to high end graphics card, I'd probably upgrade to at least a 500-600W ps.

Keep in mind that the OP will need a new motherboard to accommodate that CPU. The OP's existing i3-550 is Socket LGA 1156 - but the i5-2500K is LGA 1155. The two sockets are physically incompatible with one another due to the different sized retaining notches on the two sockets, totally preventing CPUs designed for one socket type from even fitting the other socket type.

And there is currently no price worthy upgrade for LGA 1156 any more. That socket is EOL (or dead end).
 
According to Intels website the following i5's will work: 700s, 680, 670, 655k, 760, 661, 750, 660, 650
 
Pitbully, what ive got isfor upgrades are: GeForce GT430 (not much but better than onboard intel graphics), wd 1tb data drive, ocz vertex 3 60 and 120 gb os and program ssd's, 16gb ddr3 1333 kingston
 
I'd go quad-core only: 750 (if you can find it) or the i7 860 or 870. Wouldn't bother with any others...
 
A 750 or 760 is a pretty good upgrade if it's cheap enough. The i7 860/870 is top end for that but not worth the cost. See if you can find a cheap i5 750 and you should be good to go.
 
A 750 or 760 is a pretty good upgrade if it's cheap enough. The i7 860/870 is top end for that but not worth the cost. See if you can find a cheap i5 750 and you should be good to go.

+1. 750 seems to be the bang for the buck if sticking with 1156 platform :)

However, I'd suggest waiting until Ivy Bridge drops and see what do they offer performance wise. I think you may be surprised that for a little more (i.e. new mobo and cpu) you can get quite an performance increase... at the very least, the sandy bridge cpus will be cheaper :)
 
i5 750 for $120 to $130ish used. i5 650-680 are all still dual core and are garbage for the price. Just i3s with higher clock or turbo enabled.
 
Back
Top