which high end PSU

Teknokid

[H]ard|Gawd
at the end of this year im looking at a new rig.
in a brief:
New Gfx card or 2 (either another 8800gtx or a couple of the latest whatever)
4gb Ram
Q6600
you get the idea.
but i was wondering which would be the best PSU. I know accurate volts are a plus for overclocking so i want to bear that in mind.
But which is best for 1kw+?
these are my shortlist:
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607611
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-010-TG&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=393
Thanks

The tagan that you chose is a bit older than the TT (for instance the 2+6pin GPU connector), so ofcourse the TT will be the better choice as of RIGHT NOW. I would wait a little as for the new PSU era is still in play.

well its hopefully all going to come together in q4. so what sort of stuff shall i look for? what new is coming out?
thanks

toughpower it is then. unless theres a better high end psu?

You're good. I reall don't think this (pic) is necessary.
thermaltake43.jpg

lol, i've just been looking at that, but i think a mear '1200w' is enough :p

The 1.2kw toughpower is probably the safest investment in psu tech, cause i'm pretty sure we reached the peak as to how much power a system will consume. cpus reached their peak in the p4 era, and the gpus are probably peaking right now, so the 1.2kw will pretty much power any system you will buy, until it just dies of internal component failure, or a change in the atx spec once again...

The 1.2kw toughpower is probably the safest investment in psu tech, cause i'm pretty sure we reached the peak as to how much power a system will consume. cpus reached their peak in the p4 era, and the gpus are probably peaking right now, so the 1.2kw will pretty much power any system you will buy, until it just dies of internal component failure, or a change in the atx spec once again...

Never say never. Just because the industry is moving towards using less power, doesn't mean it always will.

yes but with the way its going the chances are the psu will blow before i fully utilize it.

Would the Silverstone OP1000 be better? I'm in a similar position, and i hadn't realised the price of this 1.2kW unit, compared with the £200 OP1000.

PC P&C 1KW is the best PSU I've ever had.
Go with 1KW-SR if the money is not your cencern, otherwise, 750 Silencer Quad ftw. :)

JonnyGURU said:
Tier 1:

PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool product line
Built like a server PSU, but with the home user also in mind
Zero ripple
Louder than a leaf blower
1kW is 8800GTX SLI certified
1kW is Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
850W is 7800 and 7900GTX SLI certified
5 year warranty
Etasis Gaming Power product line
Server grade
Fairly quiet for PSU's with 80MM fans
ET-750 and ET-850 are both 8800GTX SLI certified
3 year warranty
Silverstone Zeus and Nightjar product line
Based on Etasis units, a company known for server grade PSU's
Not very loud, even when outfitted with 80MM fans.
Often sleeved cables, etc. Geared more towards the enthusiast than other server grade PSU's.
ST85ZF is Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
ST75ZF is 8800GTX SLI certified
ST56ZF is 7800 and 7900GTX SLI certified
3 year warranty
Zippy GSM and PSL product line
Typically server power supplies and can be loud
PSL model has 40MM fan which has a high pitched sound when running
There is a "gaming" product line that offers all of the necessary connectors for almost any high end gaming rig, a nicer finish and has a much quieter fan than the server models.
Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
PSL-6850P(G1) is 8800GTX SLI certified
3 year warranty

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

such a shame, i would love to import a pc p+c psu, i might try, but only once i get some upgrades :D

I wouldn't bother; they're not so much better than the ones in buffbiff's post (and the thread at Jonny's) that it would be worth importing, in addition to the customs fees, massive shipping, on top of an already hefty pricetag.

I only use PC Power & Cooling PSU`s!!
One thing is for certain--you can`t go wrong with PC Power & Cooling!!

Y'know, i'd just get the Thermaltake Toughpower 1.2kW PSU. Originally, i was going to get the OP1000 due to the 8-pin PCI-e connectors and single +12v rail. However, after seeing the Toughpower 1.2kW for £30 less, with more power and more connectors, i'm going to get it instead. Although it's waaay overkill for my build, it's still cheaper than the OP1000 and the multi-rail design doesn't look too bad. Plus, it gets rave reviews. Even if i could get the PC Power & Cooling 1kW PSU, i think i'd still get the Thermaltake one due to the price and quietness.

Bbq, what do you think of the Thermaltake unit? Is it of a similar quality to the OP1000?
Also, is the 1kW Toughpower any worse, other then being a little less powerful, than it's bigger brother, because, i don't know about you Teknokid but, i don't need 1.2kW!

Bbq, what do you think of the Thermaltake unit? Is it of a similar quality to the OP1000?
Also, is the 1kW Toughpower any worse, other then being a little less powerful, than it's bigger brother, because, i don't know about you Teknokid but, i don't need 1.2kW!

Same platform.

yeah, i only need 800w tbh, i hope my 730w can take sli 8800gtx and OC q6600...

Same platform.

So, the OP1000 and Toughpower 1200W are the same platform (what exactly does this mean; like how the Etasis 850W and Silverstone ST85ZF are the same unit?), or the 2 Toughpower units are the same?

yeah, i only need 800w tbh, i hope my 730w can take sli 8800gtx and OC q6600...

That's a point. Can you get the Tekheads website to work? I want to buy the Toughpower 1.2kW soon, and i can't even get on it.

So, the OP1000 and Toughpower 1200W are the same platform (what exactly does this mean; like how the Etasis 850W and Silverstone ST85ZF are the same unit?), or the 2 Toughpower units are the same?

The two Toughpowers are built on the same platform.

Alright, thank you, that's just save me £10 since i don't need the higher power unit, then. ;)
So, how is the OP1000 compared to the Touphpowers?

Comparable, the Toughpower has more 12v capacity, but electrically is ever so slightly noisier than the OP1000 on the 12v's. Audiowise the Toughpower was much quieter.

Should have an OP1000 review out sometime soonish.

You may want to check out the ULTRA X3. I just swapped my PC 1Kw for it 3 weeks ago and it is a beast.

Comparable, the Toughpower has more 12v capacity, but electrically is ever so slightly noisier than the OP1000 on the 12v's. Audiowise the Toughpower was much quieter.

Should have an OP1000 review out sometime soonish.

OK, thanks again. I'm thinking of getting the 1kW Toughpower, then. It's cheaper, modular, quieter, has 8-pin PCI-e connectors and it was given a pretty rave review here.

You may want to check out the ULTRA X3. I just swapped my PC 1Kw for it 3 weeks ago and it is a beast.

I would but, unfortunately, neither of those PSUs are available in the UK. :(

mansize tissue goto google then the products tab. type in thermaltake 1200w psu and you go direct to the page on tekheads, dont know if that helps.

mansize tissue goto google then the products tab. type in thermaltake 1200w psu and you go direct to the page on tekheads, dont know if that helps.

Heh, it's working now. ;)
It's just it wasn't last night. Are you going to upgrade your PSU now, then?

Back