• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which heatsink would you recommend?

memphis_1220

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
499
Hi

I have a bit of a problem. The setup in my sig seems to be operating quite hot. I bought this about 4-5 months ago and used the standard HS packaged with the CPU, as I did not intent to overclock. The temperatures started at about 44C/ 49C load, but they have recently (past week) rose to 47C/ 55C (55C is when the alarm went off so I stopped the load, so it may have gone higher).

I have looked at replacing this HS with a Zalman 7700CU, but unfortunately this will not fit on my motherboard due to the location of the AGP port.

Which would you recommend? By taking a few mesurements I believe that I can get away with a 120mm HS but that is its maximum.

Also, for the time being, would it help the temps if I attached a second fan onto the HS?

Thanks
Mike
 
normally i wud say the XP-120....but since the zalman wudnt fit...i doubt the 120 will...u can try the XP-90...
 
well, based on your rating, i hope that you have tried things like cleaning dust of the heatsink fins and cleaning off the stock thermal pad, in favour of some quality thermal compound, and verifying that the sink is properly engaged into the retention mechanism and making good contact with the proc................

i think that either the thermalright xp-90 or the zalman CNPS 7000B would be my picks, if the zalman 7700 and xp-120 don't fit.
 
Get the smaller Zalman if your main concern is noise & you want something simple that still cools well. Get the XP-90 if you want the best heat sink likely to fit, and fit a good 92 or 120mm fan to it. I like the Antec TriCool because it makes it simple to select the noise/airflow mix that suits you.
 
DFI Daishi said:
well, based on your rating, i hope that you have tried things like cleaning dust of the heatsink fins and cleaning off the stock thermal pad, in favour of some quality thermal compound, and verifying that the sink is properly engaged into the retention mechanism and making good contact with the proc................

i think that either the thermalright xp-90 or the zalman CNPS 7000B would be my picks, if the zalman 7700 and xp-120 don't fit.
I have give it a good clean, there was not much dust at all. I am reluctant to remove the HS at this point as I do not have any thermal paste atm. I think I will look at the xp-90.

CastleBravo said:
Get the smaller Zalman if your main concern is noise & you want something simple that still cools well. Get the XP-90 if you want the best heat sink likely to fit, and fit a good 92 or 120mm fan to it. I like the Antec TriCool because it makes it simple to select the noise/airflow mix that suits you.
I dont mind about the noise, I would rather get the best cooler. So in you're opinion the thermalright would be best for the job?

Thanks for the replies.
 
memphis_1220 said:
I have give it a good clean, there was not much dust at all. I am reluctant to remove the HS at this point as I do not have any thermal paste atm. I think I will look at the xp-90.


I dont mind about the noise, I would rather get the best cooler. So in you're opinion the thermalright would be best for the job?

Thanks for the replies.

Hey memphis_1220, get the XP-90... I just installed it on my PC with a 92mm fan a few hours ago and all I can say is that I'm impressed. Before upgrading my system, I noticed I was getting temps around 46-48*C at load (not sure how much though because I don't have any special utilities that would indicate the load %). After installing the XP-90, the highest temp my CPU has reached was 38*C. BTW, I'm running a P4 2.8C OC'd to 3.10 on an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. With what I've seen, you just can't go wrong with the Thermalright XP-90.
 
My vote goes for the Thermaltake pipe101. I have that and the XP-90 and the pipe101 cools a lot better..
 
Back
Top