• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which Headphones?

iSkylla

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
1,685
I want good sound for Gaming, Movies, and music (classical, rock, classic rock)

Either http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD55...ryZ61333QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or give me a suggestion please, max 120 Shipped. I don't mind used either if they're in good condition. I also don't care open or closed ear.

Oh and they need to be VERY comfortable. I don't want phones that sit on your ear, I want tme to go around my ear. My sony MDR-V6s are a bit too small and they clip the side of my ear. Also the padding is almost gone and I don't want to spend 25 bucks on a pair of phones that aren't worth much more than double that.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Choosing between the A500 and the HD-555 should be pretty easy. Do you like lots of bass and a closed headphone? If so, take the A500. If you like a more neutral and open headphone, go for the HD-555.

This is based upon alot of reading about both headphones, and having owned multiple HD-595's. I have never heard either headphone, but as far as I know, the HD-555 is a less refined HD-595.
 
Well, I am going to college next to year to BU and I don't want to annoy my roomate with that hissing that you kind of get with open ear. They're comparable headphones from what I have been told. Please decide. Btw, I don't like that much bass, I like a balanced sound.
 
Well, since you game aswell with them, and don't want sound leaking, I'd say go for the A500. It has a punchy bass, altough a bit boomy and not that precise, but for games it should be great because of it. The HD-555, if they are the same as the HD-595 in this aspect, and I think so, will leak quite a bit of sound.
 
After reading reviews and thinking about what type of headphone I would need for my music, I picked the HD555. I got them for $104 Shipped.
 
well put it this way:

the a500's will be better for gaming and are closed so u wont annoy ur roomate, they are also more comfortable. They also might have a lil bit more bass then ur wanting though

the hd555's will be better for the music u listen to but wont isolate and will leak sound out unlike the a500's they also wont be as comfortable as well as not as good for gaming
 
Okay, what do are you trying to accomplish by posting this? You are not stating any fact, only your opinion and putting down my purchase.

Troll.
 
iSkylla said:
Okay, what do are you trying to accomplish by posting this? You are not stating any fact, only your opinion and putting down my purchase.

Troll.

what? o i didnt see that u had already purchased them my bad. I was just trying to help... :(
 
iSkylla said:
Well, I am going to college next to year to BU...

I know you're not there yet, but there's a couple stores around BU that carry headphones, most notably Spearit Audio and Guitar Center that are right on campus. Good opportunity to go listen to some other cans since you'll be going there. :p
 
iSkylla said:
Okay, what do are you trying to accomplish by posting this? You are not stating any fact, only your opinion and putting down my purchase.

Troll.

Wow, I'd say this was a little overly hostile. Granted, he should've caught the part where you had already made the purchase, but you were asking for opinions on the A500 and HD555 and he gave them. If he said both cans were shit and to buy the Triports, that could be considered trolling, but he did EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED... just, a little late.
 
ElektronikSeraph said:
Wow, I'd say this was a little overly hostile. Granted, he should've caught the part where you had already made the purchase, but you were asking for opinions on the A500 and HD555 and he gave them. If he said both cans were shit and to buy the Triports, that could be considered trolling, but he did EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED... just, a little late.

/agreed.
 
Got the HD555s today. I plugged them in and all I gotta say is wow. I guess I am used to sucky headphones because these are 50 times better than my PC-150s. And they cover my entire ear, yay!
 
wait 'til they burn in I have a pair and love them, I'm thinking on getting a pair of sennheiser hd280pro's for gaming.
 
while you're at work or school leave setup a playlist of music and put it on repeat and that'll help them in. After about 12 hours (not sure the average, help me out here fellas) or something of playback with any headphone burns them in. Burning a headphone in is basically like breaking in the cylinders on your car. Basically after awhile of them being used will burn in the drivers (the headphone speaker) in and they will sound even better. I just made a playlist on winamp and before I went to bed i put it on play (make sure the playlist is set on repeat) and when I woke up my hd555s sounded more detailed.
 
I find there is no need for dedicated burn in. Just burn them in as you're listening to music.
 
Byrnie said:
while you're at work or school leave setup a playlist of music and put it on repeat and that'll help them in. After about 12 hours (not sure the average, help me out here fellas) or something of playback with any headphone burns them in. Burning a headphone in is basically like breaking in the cylinders on your car. Basically after awhile of them being used will burn in the drivers (the headphone speaker) in and they will sound even better. I just made a playlist on winamp and before I went to bed i put it on play (make sure the playlist is set on repeat) and when I woke up my hd555s sounded more detailed.

You slept for 12hours? :p
 
I left music on while I am at school. They should be burnt by the time I get back :-P
 
I want a good set of headphones myself, but do any good headphones exist that also bundle a microphone with it? I want them for gaming primarily, but I don't want it to be "gamer" quality, as I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to sound. It seems "gamer" always means midrange or high performance/dollar, like a 7600GT. I want a 7900GTX of headphones, with a mic. :) Does such a thing exist? I was looking at the Sennheiser PC165's, but I'm not hearing good things about them for $100.

 
what about the icemat siberias?
i hear there are pretty nice for gaming, im thinking of getting a pair.
let me know what you think
 
Sennheiser-HD555

Sennheiser-HD595

audio technica ath-a500

audio technica ath-a900

beyerdynamic dt770

those are the top headphones often refered to people who post on this board about an overall headset including gaming. Non of the above come with a built in microphone but if you do not use voip for games then its not an issue. best gaming headset with a mic i would have to say is steelsound 5h but it would be a downgrade in audio quality from the list above.
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I want a good set of headphones myself, but do any good headphones exist that also bundle a microphone with it? I want them for gaming primarily, but I don't want it to be "gamer" quality, as I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to sound. It seems "gamer" always means midrange or high performance/dollar, like a 7600GT. I want a 7900GTX of headphones, with a mic. :) Does such a thing exist? I was looking at the Sennheiser PC165's, but I'm not hearing good things about them for $100.


You know why? Because gaming music is typically of low quality, and also because people that use their headphones for music typically don't need a mic on it, which is why you'll probably have a hard time finding a set of good headphones with an attached mic. Different headphones for different uses -- that's all. You can get a cheap pair of headphones with mic for gaming (which in all honesty, doesn't matter at all most of the time in a gaming environment), and a nice set of cans for music.
 
Well, VoIP while gaming is rather important for my uses, and I run a CS:S gaming community, so a disproportionate amount of my time is spent gaming and working on the community, listening to music. I'd really hate to have to swap the headset back and forth between jumping in the game and not being in the game. I guess audiophilic gaming headsets just don't exist? :(

 
If you have to have a mic, get a body attached mic, and twist the cable with your headphones. I did this with my Senn HD650s.

Or you can do a little bit of body work (see bondo, fiberglass, jbweld...) and mod a mic onto a really nice set of cans like the Audio Technica ATH-A900LTD
 
Treyshadow said:
If you have to have a mic, get a body attached mic, and twist the cable with your headphones. I did this with my Senn HD650s.

Or you can do a little bit of body work (see bondo, fiberglass, jbweld...) and mod a mic onto a really nice set of cans like the Audio Technica ATH-A900LTD

Has anyone done that to the A900 LTD? Pics?
 
Get the HD555s and a Zalman Clip on mic.

Currently, I use my HD555s as my headphones and my PC-150s as my mic.
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I want a good set of headphones myself, but do any good headphones exist that also bundle a microphone with it? I want them for gaming primarily, but I don't want it to be "gamer" quality, as I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to sound. It seems "gamer" always means midrange or high performance/dollar, like a 7600GT. I want a 7900GTX of headphones, with a mic. :) Does such a thing exist? I was looking at the Sennheiser PC165's, but I'm not hearing good things about them for $100.

Something from this page perhaps? http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat10
 
gotfrag? said:
what about the icemat siberias?
i hear there are pretty nice for gaming, im thinking of getting a pair.
let me know what you think
the icemat siberias are good headphones (i have a black pair) and have good sound quality. they also come with a pretty nice mic and if u purchase the bundle, they also come with a usb sound card
the sound card obviously isnt as good as an audigy but it can easily beat out onboard
the mic is really good and has good pickup (at least it does for me in ventrilo)
the headphones are pretty good for $60 (got em at tiger direct) but ive seen a few of them break easily; the plastic area that attaches the cups and the wires on the strap broke once for me and ive seen them break at least once for my friends who own them (4 of them broke) but icemat and TD are perfectly fine on their warranty, i paid shipping but my friends aunt has some good persuasion and was able to get him a brand new pair without returning the old one or paying for shipping :eek:
the sound quality is really good and i love them with my ipod, however, there are obviously better headphones out there
i compared these to my friends sennheiser 595s and there were 2 instant differences i heard: higher high's and lower low's. the bass seemed to go just a bit lower (we were using the same ipod and volume level to compare) but i could hear highs that i never head before - but he paid around 150 for his while i paid less than half of that :p
the overall sound of the 595s also sounded better but i still love these things
if he were to pick up an amp, im sure those things would blow the siberias away
overall, i give the siberias a 7/10 on sound quality (i have experienced distortion at high volumes), a 9/10 for accessories (mic + volume control + long cord) and an 8/10 overall
keep in mind though, im in no way an audiophile (havent really gotten into that stuff yet) but i do love music
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I want a good set of headphones myself, but do any good headphones exist that also bundle a microphone with it? I want them for gaming primarily, but I don't want it to be "gamer" quality, as I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to sound. It seems "gamer" always means midrange or high performance/dollar, like a 7600GT. I want a 7900GTX of headphones, with a mic. :) Does such a thing exist? I was looking at the Sennheiser PC165's, but I'm not hearing good things about them for $100.


The best way to do it is to get a standalone pc mic (usually $10 -15 at bestbuy) and then get a good set of headphones like the HD590s, HD595s, HD555s, DT770, or a900.
 
I have the ATH-A700 headphones and I love them, especially after burn-in (I burned my for about 140 hours :eek: ). I like the fact that they are closed ear, open type just irritates to much becuase it feels like I'm missing something whenever listening to music, playing games or watching movies, they are also very comfortable, the bass is great for gaming.

A lot of headphones that people mention on here are really great headphones. The big thing is what you got them hooked up to, or through and what you listen to that makes a huge impact on your listening experience.
 
Back
Top