Which hard drive?

Actuary

2[H]4U
Wanted to get a new hard drive for storage, and am between the Samsung Spinpoint F1 1tb or the WD black 1tb.

The Samsung is a good $20 cheaper. Opinions? How does the Samsung's speeds hold up to the WD Black?

Edit: I know there's always Seagate as well, so any opinions on a 1tb drive are welcome. I just figured Samsung was the cheapest and the WD Black (from what I've heard) has the best performance. I also trust WD's quality control and warranty more.

The Samsung Spinpoint F1 has long been the performance king within the terabyte realm up until the WD Black topped it - but not by much. The main appeal of the WD Black IMO is that it has a five year warranty, as opposed to the Samsung's three year warranty. If you want to save a bit of money, the Samsung is a fine choice for performance, but if the extra two years of warranty is worth it, then go with the WD Black.

I might pick up a WD. 1TB for $119 Cdn is pretty good. Samsung has a nice price but i trust only WD and Seagate.

In canada the non-black edition WD WD10EACS is only 3 year warranty...so my question is - is it worth 2x price for a Black/5year?

The Samsung 1TB is a great drive, very fast and extremely quiet.
Definite bargain.

So much that I bought a second one last night.
Blu Ray films are fecking huge!

i have not seen any hdtach benchmarks comparing the two.... ill see if i can find some

Black is probably better as a main boot drive with its faster random access times. F1 is decent for sequential reeds and writes and as a silo. Black has 5 year warranty over 3 years of the F1.

More exact benchmarks for both drives here: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15363/1

Go with the segate, its a storage drive after all, you want quality and longivity not performance. Green power drives would work well for storage very quiet and run very cool as well, but i prefer my segates over my WD's.

lol, after looking at this thread i decided to buy a 640gb black drive..... makes my old segate 7200.9 OS drive in my HTPC look like crap.

so i am going to sell the 160gb, 250gb and 500gb GP drives that are in my HTPC and go to the single 640gb.... similar storage and much better performance.

I figure 3 drives v 1 drive... the 1 drive will use less power too,

but i digress.

I think either drive is good and benchmarks show they are each king in different catagories

Back