Which GTX460 1GB to get? EVGA has 8 different ones?

Looking at reviews, the 768, and 1gb models perform very closely. Not enough performance boost on the 1gb to warrant the extra 30-ish bucks for me.

These are all the quotes from variable sources that I have found and read, I will post them with proper credit and respect to their original editors, reviewers, etc. Here it goes (Long List!):

However NVIDIA also has the 1GB version of the GTX 460, with more RAM, more L2 cache, and more ROPs for $30 (15%) more. The 1GB GTX 460 isn’t 15% faster, but at the same time it’s difficult to ignore it. We already have games such as Crysis and Stalker that benefit from the additional capacity of the GTX 460, and this is the future of gaming. For as fantastic of a card as the 768MB GTX 460 is, it has one potential pitfall: it’s 768MB. It’s not a huge problem today, and NVIDIA will tell you it’s not a huge problem tomorrow either, but here we must disagree.

The difference is 256MB, but we’re willing to bet between that 256MB of RAM and the additional L2 cache and ROPs that the 1GB advantage will only grow from here. We would rather spend another $30 now for better performance in many of today’s games, knowing that we also will have a better shot at playing tomorrow’s games.

It’s here that we bid farewell to the GTX 465. It was an underperforming card from the start, and the GTX 460 can meet it or beat it on most games. At this point we see little reason to purchase it over a cooler, quieter, and cheaper 1GB GTX 460.

I would never recommend a GeForce GTX 465 over a GeForce GTX 460.

NVIDIA might as well just end production of those cards as the GeForce GTX 460 is a much more well-rounded product.

Our pick of two GTX 460s is the 1,024MB version.

Basically, your options are:

1) External Exhaust or Reference Cooler

2) -AR(lifetime Warranty) or -TR (2 year warranty)

3) Superclocked or Non Superclocked

For your resolution i would even say you did a better deal NOT getting the 1GB version.

In the resolutions where the gtx460 1GB really pulls ahead your almost down to single digit FPS, and that resolutions/ setting they both have trouble handling, you can calm sit down and feel happy about your purchase for $120 it was a steal.

I think that the 1GB version is far better for 1080p and above going forward. Don't get me wrong, the 768mb version is a decent card, and it's a good deal for the OP based on his circumstances.. but the 1gb will definitely have a significant edge in some situations.

Wait a year or 2, and you will see the extra value and longevity of the 1gb version of the gtx 460.

GTX 460 1gb has more ROPs and more memory bandwidth than the 768mb version.

More future proof. You got more pixel pipes, larger bandwidth, and more frame buffer. It's going to pay off more down the road. May be 1-4fps now, but come later, more like 12-16fps.

768MB is not enough for high resolutions and lots of AA at the same time. Go with the 1GB model.

I just can't stand people saying that there's no difference between the 2, or not understanding how the technical differences between the cards will affect them down the line. Not understanding how things work or why they work is a sign of someone who shouldn't be giving technical advice.

Take it back and get the 1GB version. You never want to buy a card with less than a 256-bit memory interface. Ever. That's like an unspoken rule of buying video cards. Cards with crippled memory interfaces never do well in the long run. You're buying nvidia or ATI's garbage. And there are other differences as well, like fewer ROPs and less L2 cache. The 768mb version isn't future proof at all. I actually think it's a bit deceptive on nvidia's part to call them both GTX 460s, as they're totally different cards. In a year, you'll be crying yourself to sleep wishing you had just spent $30 more.

The other GeForce GTX 460 being launched today is the GeForce GTX 460 768MB at $199, a slightly further cut-down card. As NVIDIA’s ROPs are closely tied to their memory controllers, the only way to reduce the amount of memory on a card is to disable memory controllers along with the ROPs. As a result the GTX 460 768MB has less memory than the GTX 460 1GB, but also only 24 ROPs connected to a 192bit memory bus. The shaders remain unchanged, giving the GTX 460 768MB the same compute/shading abilities as the GTX 460 1GB, but only 75% of the ROP capability and memory bandwidth. The clocks are unchanged from the GTX 460 1GB: 675MHz core, 1350MHz shader, and 900MHz (3.6GHz effective) memory.

I could not recommend the 768mb version to any of my friends when the difference is only $20-30 USD.

If you decide to save £30 and purchase the 768MB version, not only will you lose out on 256MB video memory, data will be transmitted via a slightly narrower memory interface. It remains to be seen if this causes significant harm to performance but it's safe to say that downgrades such as these are never good news.

The best GTX 460 is not the $199 one.

Looking at reviews, the 768, and 1gb models perform very closely. Not enough performance boost on the 1gb to warrant the extra 30-ish bucks for me.

Personally I'd rather pay the extra ~$30 and know the card should run nice at higher resolutions for longer then if I'd skimped on the extra memory. I remember the same debates raging over 256MB vs. 512MB. I remember some people who went with the lower end cards had to replace theirs sooner then those who had bought the cards with extra memory. With such a small price difference, to me it's just a little added insurance. To each their own though, that's just MHO... ;)

Back