Which graphic card? What's comming?

IceDread

n00b
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
46
Hey

So I'm looking for a new graphic card but can not decide.

I was first thinking about the asus hd 7970 OC that has 3 mini displayports but as it has issues with the heat of the vrm's that didnt feel right.

Hd version 6xxx eyefinity issues that I do not know if they were solved or not, the cards had ports of variation, 2 mini displayport, 1 dvi etc. Which lead to different timings on the ports and ended up giving a disturbances on one of the screens, a line passing over it over and over again.
So having 3 of the same ports feels like a must or? If that is still the case, then there is really no graphic card out there, is there any new versions of the hd 7970 on the way?

Since I dont have eyefinity setup myself at the moment, and I'm not sure if I will by it, I've been looking at gigabyte 7979 OC which looks like it only takes up 2 lots compared to the asus oc.

What do you say? :)
 
I say wait a week or so and see if a possible Kepler announcement causes any price drops.
 
I say wait a week or so and see if a possible Kepler announcement causes any price drops.

Yeah I will wait, but nvidia usually makes watt leaking card that does not feel that great to put into a computer.. however, they might put pressure on the prices as you say and they might surprise with a performance / watt efficient card for once too thou I doubt it.
 
Yeah I will wait, but nvidia usually makes watt leaking card that does not feel that great to put into a computer...

I don't know why people keep saying that. Yes, the GTX 480 was problematic, but the 5xx series was pretty much in the same performance/watt ballpark as the 6xxx series - much better than the 4xx cards.

But I also find it humorous that people who are spending $400+ for video cards to put in their $1500+ computers are worried about 50W of load power here or there.
 
Last edited:
I don't know why people keep saying that. Yes, the GTX 480 was problematic, but the 5xx series was pretty much in the same performance/watt ballpark as the 6xxx series - much better than the 4xx cards.

But I also find it humorous that people who are spending $400+ for video cards to put in their $1500+ computers are worried about 50W of load power here or there.

It's not only the load, it's also the extra heat in the box that is bad. When the bad things adds up to too many bad things it's a no go.Nvidia usually are more hungry than 50W as well. It's btw more like 100W.
 
Last edited:
I just wished that we knew what's coming this year and when.

The new GK110, and AMD's refresh. If they hit by June or July, personally I think its a reasonable time to wait especially if you already have quiet a capable card, a bigger performance jump is always more worth it.

But if those cards will only arrive by the end of the year, then you might as well make a decision once GK104 arrive.
 
Knowing what is to come when would be good...

It looks like waiting for the 23d is what I should do.
 
7970 if you ever plan on doing 3 screens there is nothing worse than being forced to play on one screen when sli is not working right. AI had that prob with 580s and I doubt I ever want to go back to that again. With eyefinity you can just turn off one card and keep going!
 
7970 if you ever plan on doing 3 screens there is nothing worse than being forced to play on one screen when sli is not working right. AI had that prob with 580s and I doubt I ever want to go back to that again. With eyefinity you can just turn off one card and keep going!

Kyle said that GTX 680 would support Nvidia surround (so presumably 3 monitors) on one card in another thread.
 
Back
Top