Which GPU block?

A2TheRizzo

Limp Gawd
Currently I have a DD TDX and a D5 pump, and a single 120mm rad. My computer just recently crashed while playing WoW, so I decided to check my temps. My cpu (which is overclocked .7Ghz) is running nicely at 41C, and to my demise, my GPU is at 70C! :O

So I now think this time is as good as ever to get a new block. Will the maze4 do nicely, or will I have to buy one of those fancy all in one blocks?

I'm using a 6800GS btw, and my loop setup is,

Pump>T-Line(weird I know)>Block>Rad>Pump

Any help is appreciated.

I have a Maze4GPU Acetal and it does a nice job. But I think that I would buy the MCW60 w/ramsinks.

The T-line should be before the pump. JMO

yeah it's a long story how the t-line came before the pump...

but the temps are fine.

The maze 4 should do, but the single rad might not handle it sufficiently.

BIP or black ice extreme? waht fan.... maze4 lopro version is good ans same price new.

Bbq said:

QFT.

Either the maze4 or the MCW60 will be fine. (They're pretty much th esame thing.) But if you're serious about your temps, it's time to step up to a 240 rad. A 120 might be able to cool the CPU and GPU "OK" (as in close to spec temps), but if you want good temps - or want any kind of overclock - you'll need more radiator capacity.

Ok, right now I have a BIP xtreme rad. I just have a standard masscool 120mm fan blowing on it, but its not really efficient. (blowing hot air from case thru a fan grill...lol.

But my processor never passes 43C on full load, so I haven't felt the need. I just hooked up a personal fan onto my gpu, and that's holding it around 55 for now, until I get my block.

Thanks guys!

RazeTek said:
Have you thought about these GPU coolers both are rated better than the maze4 http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_24&products_id=29

or

http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_44&products_id=77

The second one is one of those (fancy) all in one units. But it costs about the same as the others. Not only that but forum members get a discount on the site... Give the alphacool a look, it is even more sexy in person :cool:

Thanks! Also, I'm using 1/2" tubing, is that ok?

And if I decide to go with the maze4, which would be more effective, the lo pro or the regular?

Edit: here is a pic of my current loop, notice the 92mm panaflo rigged right up there, because my southbridge fan died. :(

dscn13465bhvi3.jpg

If you are using 1/2" the swiftech one may be better... although there are many adapters for 1/4" which would make the alphacool one a great choice...

Ahhh the glorious choices u have :D

I don't know allot about the maze4... from what I know it is a very old design... But check it out, make the best choice for urself (go with alphacool :p ) just my 2c

ugh get a passive cooler there instead of that fan, such a beautiful setup should not be defaced!!!!

I applaud A2TheRizzo, for using 1/2' tubing. I am myself and even through you need to put in literally twice the amount of liquid into your system, the cooling performance is amazing.

I also have a tank in my system which makes it contain about 3l of liquid, its great stuff.

Cheers

Well I can't figure out how to remove the fan from my mobo. Actually I have the southbridge heatsink right here if I could just figure out how to remove the old.

Have you tryed taking it off once it is hot (as in losen up the thermal adhesive.) Unless there is a rentention mech. In which case make sure to check the back of the board.

Sniper X said:
70C is at idle right? because a load temp at 70C is normal for most gpu's

70C at load.
Normally, I wouldn't care. But I'm now starting to get fragmentaions, and my computer froze last night. I have about 250 laying around and just figured I would keep my OC.

70c is pretty nice for a Load Temp.

The 6800 Ultra in my G5 IDLES at 66'c and it's doing FINE. Seems more like an overclock/voltage/memory corruption error to me.

I encourage you to WC your GPU for the noise concern. Any Maze4 will work. My personal favourite block is the MCW60 with the Ramsinks. It's pretty damn nice IMO.

that's.. good !?!

My card loads at 47, idles at 45. And that's with a 150mhz overclock.

Yeah, seriously.

I don't think 70C is too healthy for my card..

Could I use the maze4 on a 7900GT if I ever decided to upgrade?

Bbq said:
the single 120 should be fine, i had the same set up, a single core A64 oc'ed, and 6800gs plus the chipset, on an mcr120 with the cpu temps under 40*C and gpu load temps under 50*C ;)

oh btw, i recommend the mcw60 :)

maze-4 acetal can be used to cool a newer card, but you need to get the mounting hardware for that card as well. Ordering at DD should give you an option to get both sets of mounting hardware for another 5 bucks or so.

maze4 lowpro it doesnt block any or less PCI slots... my full size one is great on temps... 38*C idle 45*C load 7800gtx @1.5 bios vmod 500/1350

my ambient is still high right now.... 31*C as I am trying at 12:33am so this winter i should get 20*C's temps... :)

if i had to do it again id get the lowpro maze4.

i have alphacool blocks, aquacomputer and DD and the maze4 was easy to install and works great. The others are good but this gave me the best temps... oh and with tweakmonster ramsinks you dont need to cut them like you do with the swiftech ones...

Ok, I now have my pa120.3 on my system (see sig). Both waterblocks are peaking at 48-51c now with 1.5vmod. (720 core). Ambient is 80f or 28c. FYI

Back