Which FPS did it first

Bambi

I Cleaned My Room - And I am a Dude
I have a few questions. Which FPS did the whole weapons limit, huge open environments, and recharging shield first?

Huge environments and recharging shields likely are tied to Halo 1.

i thought the shields were halo but environments was tribes?

First game I remember playing with huge enviroments was probably Delta Force. Shields was probably Halo. No idea about the weapon limit though

Deus ex for environment and weapon limit, Halo for shield i think (maybe Rainbow 6 or something though?)

Weapon limit in what sense? In terms of limited carrying, system shock would be earlier than deus ex.

Unreal is the first really big environment FPS I can remember. Wikipedia says Unreal came out in May, while Tribes was in November, both 1998. But for them to have come out so close, both of them would have had to plan on creating large environments before having seen the other.

Can't think of where I've seen recharging shields. It's been in many games before Halo but as for FPS games, Halo popularized it. I /think/ the superheroes mod for Q2 would have had regenerating armor. I'm fairly sure it had regenerating health. But the way that Halo has shield regeneration start when you've stopped being hit for a certain time period, Halo was the first.

If you want to get technical, they had HUGE outdoor environments in lots of old pre-3D acceleration game like Doom, Rise of the Triad, and Duke Nukem 3D.
In the modern era, I think Unreal was the first, though.
Weapon limits? Tough to say, but I'd guess some of the military FPS games from the early days.
Recharging shields/energy? Short of mods for existing games, I think there was a mech-style game that had this back in the day. Tribes is the first I can confirm had it, though.
I might be wrong, but it sounds like the poster is baiting for Halo to be the answer to all 3, yes?

I don't think I ever played Tribes, but I still vividly remember the first time I played unreal. Was using a VooDoo 2 at the time, and I remember the first level where you get off the ship, and can walk to the edge of the cliff, with the waterfall and the birds. Jaw-dropping at it's time.

Ironically I think Halo is a very Nintendo-styled game, in that it is a lot of fun to play but didn't bring much new to the table.

TRIBES has all of that

honestly, people do not give Tribes enough credit.

It was one of the first 3d accelerated online FPSs, AND it did it all while featuring massive amounts of players AND vehicles....

fucking revolutionary game

brucedeluxe169 said:
TRIBES has all of that

It was one of the first 3d accelerated online FPSs, AND it did it all while featuring massive amounts of players AND vehicles....

Damn straight! Now pass the spinfusors and let's kill some Blood Eagles!

(also Tribes had the top down 2D commanders map which is getting more popular with team-based FPS these days.)

brucedeluxe169 said:
TRIBES has all of that

I agree Tribes had all 3, and was never ending fun. I also enjoyed Starsiege, it even had rechargable shields as well

brucedeluxe169 said:
TRIBES has all of that

QFT

Underdog game that really was the best game I have EVER played.

brucedeluxe169 said:
TRIBES has all of that

QFE

brucedeluxe169 said:
TRIBES has all of that

QFMFT

In terms of straight FPS doing that type of stuff, I think Unreal has to take it, the Maps were pretty damn huge.

There were a bunch of not-strictly-fps games that did bigger open areas before it though, Terra Nova for instance.

Just a general shout out for Tribes as well though, it's a free download now, try it out, if you don't already know the game, you might be very surprised at how evolved the gameplay is, obviously it's a bit graphically retarded at this point, but:

Huge maps - Check.
Vehicles - Check.
Large teams/lots of simultaneous players - Check.
Squad/team management - Check.
Deployables - Check.
Customizable player roles - check.

theNoid said:
Huge environments and recharging shields likely are tied to Halo 1.

lol

Tribes is far older than Halo, and is the first one that comes to my mind.

Martyr said:
all halo did was make it easily accessable to your average idiot

Halo didn't really do much of anything, except put a shiny package on the features and port them to XBOX.

Remember when Halo was supposed to be the next great PC game?

PopeKevinI said:
Halo didn't really do much of anything, except put a shiny package on the features and port them to XBOX.

Remember when Halo was supposed to be the next great PC game?

Remember when Halo was suppose to be the next great MAC game? ;)

Burning_Monk said:
Remember when Halo was suppose to be the next great MAC game? ;)

Then Bungie realized that there's no such thing as a Mac game and decided to actually enter a market :D

ZING!

(cue Rooster Teeth "I'm a Mac gamer" video

PopeKevinI said:
Then Bungie realized that there's no such thing as a Mac game and decided to actually enter a market :D

ZING!

(cue Rooster Teeth "I'm a Mac gamer" video

More like M$ didn't want Bungie making a market for Mac games... so they bought them to be an XBOX exclusive and made a completely new market!

Burning_Monk said:
More like M$ didn't want Bungie making a market for Mac games... so they bought them to be an XBOX exclusive and made a completely new market!

Except that you're skipping the whole PC phase, back in 2000. I remember watching Halo videos at LAN parties, talking about how cool it was going to be. They had plans to release it on PC and Mac simultaneously.

neeyo said:
"Shields" are nothing more than "Armor" with a different icon.

Sheilds, being energy based, should recharge on their own. Armor, being metal or synthetic or whatever, should not.

Some games have health, armor, and shields.

While I loved D1(played from 95 to 99), it doesn't do ANYTHING the OP asked.

1. Weapon selection was not limited, you could have ALL the weapons.
2. Completely closed environment(it did have some big rooms tho)
3. Shield regeneration was only in a recharge zone, it was not automatic. IIRC

I think there's nothing more to see here.

Tribes did all of these things.

Mod wise, there were mods for this type of stuff out as early as QW's release (all hail!)

Tribes, to this day, is fun as hell.

what game will do this first, allow you to play as Dennis Rodman and Michael Jackson in a co-op mode when your goal is to penetrate Richard and Russell Simmons (not brothers but both are pretty damn gay) with a ten foot long green adamantium dildo? i dont know but for that kind of fun im willing to shell out fifty bucks lol

tribes definitly but wasnt unreal before tribes? i'd have to pull out my original CDs to check the copyright dates on those to double check and i'm too lazy for that

RedTalon19 said:
tribes definitly but wasnt unreal before tribes? i'd have to pull out my original CDs to check the copyright dates on those to double check and i'm too lazy for that

Hmm...tough call. I'm gonna have to say tribes was first since it had no 3D acceleration at first that I can recall whereas Unreal had Glide out of the box. Not sure though.

EDIT: Checked reviews at GameSpot and Unreal was first by about 6 months. Guess I remembered wrong.

Tribes is without a doubt the VERY BEST game ever created.
I played that game for 3 years and it rarley got old.
The Renegades Mod was the shit and the amount of different jobs you could do in the game made it amazing.
You could be among many other jobs a heavy base raper, heavy defense deployer, light weight sniper, or my favorite, Engineer with the Rail Gun.

I would spend hours beacon bursting into the enemy base with a heavy armor and a mortar just going to town, or sit on top of my base with the rail gun.

I have some awesome pictures somewhere of some buddies and I building FF & platform towers and bridges.
Man that game was fun.

I played both and though Halo was much much better than Tribes... gamerankings seems to agree with me. Btw.. anyone know of a game that had dual wielding before Marathon?

JRT said:
Tribes is without a doubt the VERY BEST game ever created.
I played that game for 3 years and it rarley got old.
The Renegades Mod was the shit and the amount of different jobs you could do in the game made it amazing.
You could be among many other jobs a heavy base raper, heavy defense deployer, light weight sniper, or my favorite, Engineer with the Rail Gun.

I would spend hours beacon bursting into the enemy base with a heavy armor and a mortar just going to town, or sit on top of my base with the rail gun.

I have some awesome pictures somewhere of some buddies and I building FF & platform towers and bridges.
Man that game was fun.

Oh My the memories :D

I loved base raper and engineer w/rail gun as well.

Another fun thing to do was go "gopher hunting" with a shrike. This was when it had dual plasma cannons (it used the deployable sentry turret fire graphics). I could wipe out a sheilded dragoon in about 10 secs. Anyways, I just go high, and and swoop down on any red triangles blasting away. I was good at smoking snipers and lone base infiltraters trying to come in the back door. God they hated me :D

diehard said:
I played both and though Halo was much much better than Tribes... gamerankings seems to agree with me. Btw.. anyone know of a game that had dual wielding before Marathon?

Never heard of Marathon, but is it older then Shadow Warrior?

Back