• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which firewall is best?

HongKongPolice

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
286
Ok I know that a linux firewall is the best, but I don't have the time or patience to configure it :(

I used to use Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0 and it was perfect until I switched to XP, then it started blocking file sharing packets even when I tell it not to :rolleyes:

Tried upgrading to TPF 5.5, but the interface was so confusing, and certain ports weren't even blocked.

Using Sygate Firewall 5.5 Pro right now, and it is perfect except for 2 things: CPU usage and Latencies. I turned off all logs, yet CPU usage is almost 90% when for transfering files over LAN, due to the firewall. I turned off it completely, and usage goes back down to ~30% or so. The program also tends to lag things up by 1ms. When I ping my dsl router, I get 1ms with the firewall on, 0ms with it off....

There are SO many firewall progs out there, which one combines Sygate's functionality and security with Tiny Personal Firewall's low CPU usage?

Thanks
 
I don't see any latency or CPU usage with Sygate Personal Firewall...however I am using "free" version.
 
I found XP's firewall to be fairly decent. As long as you're not carelessly installing all sorts of services and keep your machine up to date.

When service pack 2 is released, the firewall will be a little more robust.
 
You can disable the IDS in Sygate Pro and that should give you your 1ms back. Of course that's the main benefit over the free version. Problem with the XP firewall is that it has no outbound control, and even the SP2 update won't add it.
 
You might want to look at CHX-I. It's not user friendly if you don't know about IP protocols, but there are many examples to configure it. It's free and very versatile.
 
CHX-I. No Compromise. Just Security :D

Great program..thumbs up!

OldMX
 
1ms ? Man your not gonna notice that in anything real world. CPU usage I can understand, but the latency issue is not an issue at all IMO.

Could try Outpost also. One of the better software win32 firewalls
 
Back
Top