Which Earbuds to buy?

Stroker

Limp Gawd
I can't decide which earbud headphones to buy. I don't want to spend much more than $150 and want good noise isolation, a thick cable so it isn't fragile and wont tangle as easily, and good bass response. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Normally, I'd say start with some JVC mallows and see where that takes you. $10 a pop is good crack to give people a sample of. :D

To make a quick yoink from the usual sources:

$70 to $150

IEM/Earbud
1-Sony ex90 ($95)
1-Jays D-jays ($99)
1-Westone UM1 ($109)
1-Shure e3c ($119)
1-Super.Fi.5 Pro/EB ($130-$150)
2-Yuin pk1 ($139)
1-Sennheiser CX95 ($140)

You might be able to pick up an Etymotic ER4p if you stretch a little or find a good deal. I think there's been a fair bit of loving going around for "Ultimate Ears" of late too (SuperFi et al), which is slightly lol in that they belong to Logitech and are actually pretty good.

yuin or superfi would be a nice either or. yuin is an excellent earbud and the superfi a good iem.

I urge you to try out JVC's FX66 earbuds.

I've been on the hunt for earbuds for years ranging btwn the $50 - $150 range.

saw the design of these at the store and picked them up.
best $30 I ever spent. properly secures into my ears using their "air cushion" feature.

then you can choose the 'nipple' of choice depending on earhole size.

great all around sound and the double seal on your ears really allows for better than average bass.

I have the FX66. Good entry level iems and certainly comfortable. Using them now as a matter of fact. Great for portable use.

I recommend UltimateEars based on product quality and impressive (unbeatable) customer service.

The fact that they are owned by Logitech shouldn't be cause to laugh, unless of course you laugh at Lexus (Toyota) drivers or Lenovo (IBM) users...and there isn't enough room to type how many companies PepsiCo. owns.

I have the FX66. Good entry level iems and certainly comfortable. Using them now as a matter of fact. Great for portable use.

Those have the rubber flange style plugs instead of the foam, right?

The fact that they are owned by Logitech shouldn't be cause to laugh

Yes it should. :D :D

or Lenovo (IBM) users

That's a horrible example. The old IBM laptops were amazing, and the Lenovo ones maintain the same level of quality. Logitech audio generally sucks, which is why it's funny that the company they spawned and/or bought out is actually good at what they totally suck at.

Are there any decent quality earbuds like some of the ones listed here, that might be used for running and other exercise etc? Right now I just use $15 ones that wrap around the ear, so I'm curious if there are any higher quality earbuds that might actually be able to stay in the ear when running around haha.

Any particular reason for the 33% return rate?

lol

Dude, I tried EVERY headphone or iem currently available. Some I just did not love. IEMS are love/hate really. It is one of those things with headphones. You can't just go to a store and try them out, you have to buy them to try them out. People on head-fi churn through tons of cans before they settle on the ones they like.

Costco is having a sale on the Metro.Fi 200's

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11298225&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|80&N=4018666&Mo=30&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=64226&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

$50

Dude, I tried EVERY headphone or iem currently available. Some I just did not love. IEMS are love/hate really. It is one of those things with headphones. You can't just go to a store and try them out, you have to buy them to try them out. People on head-fi churn through tons of cans before they settle on the ones they like.

I was hoping that was why. :D

If they're not too particular about people abusing their returns service to try on phones, I might just give it a whirl...although I'm sort of waiting to see what's up with the iBasso D3 before I settle on that or the mini3. Possibly a good turn for the OP too.

The DAC option is tempting...although if I could figure out a way to use it while on the go, it would be much more so. Running a USB cable into my bag and leaving my laptop running (and overheating from being closed in, and eating its battery) doesn't sound that good.

Oh those little portable dac amps like the pico and iBasso are great. I had a Hornet M with an iMod and some E500s. Great sound. I did fine with just a Cowan F2 though. It is an mp3/video player, weighs nothing, and somehow drives Sennheiser 600s!!!! Crazy little piece.

Yeah, Cowon has some crazy power behind those things. I hear they're in the middle of updating their line, too...

Cowon iAudio products are awesome. I've had an X5L for almost 3 years, still going strong and it puts the ipod to shame. They do use higher powered amps for the output than most other mp3 players. To this day, I won't touch an (inferior) ipod. I seem to regularly drop my X5L between and under car seats all the time, it's never worse for the wear thanks to the aluminum case. Simply looking at a (probably greasy and fingerprinted) dainty little ipod probably will scratch it.

As for external DACs, czech out the E-Mu 0404 USB.

I keep seeing references to that EMU, but nothing that great about it. I'm eyeing more of the iBasso option right now, but there's talk of a new model sometime in the next week or so, thus I'm waiting. I won't hold off forever for the next version, but I have more than enough to keep me busy for a mere week lol.

The emu is fine but not portable. I am a big fan of the little dac/amps b/c they are really flexible.

Space likes them flexible!!!

lol seriously, you are on the right track. stay the course.

Back