which drivers should I load; MSI nForce3gb Neo Plat?

bluehorizon

Weaksauce
The board is on order. Actually, a whole new system is on order, so I'm loading the OS from scratch. I'm wondering, which chipset drivers should I load for the MB when I load up a new XP OS? Should I use the ones from the CD included with the MB, or the ones on nVidia's website, or the ones on MSI's website? I'm guessing the drivers on the CD shipped with the MB will be older than the ones on the sites...

Any suggestions?

Just go to nVidia's website after you get winXP installed and download/install the latest ones, just make sure you don't use the IDE driver as it usually caused wierd crap to happen.

bluehorizon said:
I think the IDE driver is included in the unified driver bundle...
You have the option to not install the nVidia IDE drivers in the installation process. Just grab the latest ones.

Some people have had success with the IDE drivers (myself included, I think they're pretty solid), and others have had never-ending issues with them. Exactly what issues? That's something I haven't brushed up on in a while. But to be safe, don't install the nVidia IDE drivers. If you don't the operating system just uses the default Microsoft IDE driver, which works well.

Ok, well I'll be using a SATA HD anyway, though the CD is IDE, of course...

I just checked out the AMD drivers; are these really necessary? What do they do, exactly?

Thanks much for the advice! :)

Im using the nvidia ide drivers (for 2000)...seem to work good for me.
Although the win98 versions ones dont work at all.

I am one of those people that has had issues with the IDE drivers.

With both 3.13 and 4.xx my machine will not shut down or restart... it just hangs at the "Windows Is Shutting Down" screen. Have to hard reset at that point. I actually stuck with them for a while because they provided a pretty noticeably increase in transfer rates, but it got old and I eventually uninstalled the whole driver package and reinstalled without the IDE SW drivers.

Back