Which Dremel is the Best?

Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
11
Which Dremel in your opion is the best one? I have been getting some mixed reviews about the new one (the 400xpr system) saying it feels of lesser quality than other Dremel tools.
 
i like my XPR, no complaints from me.
only other dremel ive ever used was a cordless, and those piss me off.
 
The only dremel that I have ever used is the 400XPR. So far (6 months) it has been great.

The only other thing that I have used that is like a Dremel is my ROTOZIP. But I use that for concrete and other heavy duty stuff.
 
so it seems the 400xpr is good after all. I just wish they weren't so expinsive. I want to start modding my case, but got to get a dremel first ;) !
 
I use a pet nail grinder. Uses the exact same bit mechanism as a dremel and spins at 30k RPM, and was only $10. I still can't figure out what kind of person would use this fucker on their pets though.
 
I don't know what model # mine is, but I have a corded variable speed one. Corded is a plus for modding because you don't have to worry about battery and stuff, and it's probably more powerful than the cordless one, but IDK. However, it can be a hindrance because of the cord and trying to fit it in the case, but if you get the Flex Shaft thingy then it's a moot point.

Variable Speed is a must for modding, because if you want to cut plexi or even aluminum sometimes it's better not to go full speed the whole time to avoid melting plexi or warping, or just wearing down disks too fast. I think mine cost $40 or so.
 
I have the one-speed dremel. the first one. that in combo with a variable speed pedal and a flex-shaft kicks some serious ass for all projects.
 
My dremel is a MultiPro model 395 type 5 (multi-speed corded model). I also have a B&D Wizard, that takes a Versa-Pack battery with 2 speeds. Due to the battery, the Wizard is good for light duty work (I might try etching with it, as I won't have to wory about the cord pulling on it), whereas the MultiPro is better for more heavy duty purposes.
 
i have the multipro, and its been through hell and back and still hits 30k (i rigged up a hall effect to check it :D ). i tried the XPR, and compared to the multipro i find it much harder to figure out the speeds while in the middle of a cut. i like to slow the bit down before i break through metal so that the wheel doesn’t catch - i couldn’t do it for the life of me with the XPR except by taking it out of the grove, slowing it, and sticking it back it. with the multipro (it has an old-fashioned slide switch) i can do it with one hand. maybe it just takes practice... I dono.

before that i had a sears brand... the internal spider joint failed after i tryd to spin a 3" saw blade on it...
 
Back
Top