I started folding again this month, and started thinking about re purposing some older hardware I have laying around. I have about 30 proliant BL10e blade servers doing nothing right now and wanted to know if any of the projects would benefit from 30 single core p3 900mhz cpus?
The distributed.net client is pretty easy, and OGR-27 is one the [H]orde needs to push on later this year. BOINC would be pretty good, too, but the various projects can memory intensive - how much RAM does each server have? This month's push on POEM only requires about 25MB, so I'm sure you'd be good there, but something like Cosmology can take 800MB+ per WU, so with OS, 1GB is minimal...
You could fire up a few, install BOINC, and run a few POEM Work Units - within 2-3 days you'll know what your PPD per blade would be, and if it would be worth it... The catch would be determining if your PPD would be high enough to offset the electricity cost!