Which DAC for X-Fi Forte?

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
1,983
I am planning on getting the low-profile Forte card when it comes out because it won't take much room in my case.

Can someone recommend a DAC/Amp combo that will work well with this and Senn HD-555's? I am looking at the Zero dac right now but wanted to explore options. Thanks.
 
Naw. Just run the 555s straight out of that sound card. Get a pair of Ultrasone 780s or Denon D2000 instead for the best $$ upgrade to your sound.
 
Really? This is the first time I have heard this recommendation for audio.

Its because the X-Fi Forte already has a headphone amp built into it. There's no reason to get another amp.

---

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_forte.php

Headphone Output

3.5mm(1/8 ”) stereo mini-phone jack: Includes an independent Headphone amp and can activate an impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω headphone or earphone. Also, can be used, when configuring a Stereo system, not using the Analog I/O cable, as an Front Line Output.
 
If you want to spend money I can help with that too. I always begin with, "Here is the bare minimum for good sound." After that, you can add to it.
 
If you are even considering getting a DAC, why even bother getting sound card. All a sound card does (in essence) is function as a DAC, so why get two. That's completely redundant. If your mobo has S/PDIF out, just get a DAC with S/PDIF in, and you will be all set.

If you don't have S/PDIF out, most good DAC's have USB in. Look for one with that.

Soundcards are useless if you have an external DAC, or you are a gamer.


:D
 
If you are even considering getting a DAC, why even bother getting sound card. All a sound card does (in essence) is function as a DAC, so why get two. That's completely redundant. If your mobo has S/PDIF out, just get a DAC with S/PDIF in, and you will be all set.

If you don't have S/PDIF out, most good DAC's have USB in. Look for one with that.

Soundcards are useless if you have an external DAC, or you are a gamer.


:D

Because some soundcards offer Dolby Headphone technology and other advanced settings? (serious question)
 
Back
Top