Which D9 2gb kit? Help me decide please...

FallenCow

Gawd
So I've narrowed my search down to these sets of 2gb DDR2 kits for my Core 2 build (they should all be D9 w/ possibly the exception of the Buffalo):

- Buffalo Firestix: FSX800D2C-K2G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820150054
$239 -- Cheapest set here, but there's a possibility that these might not be D9s

- G.Skill HZ: F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065
$269 -- Great reviews on Newegg

- Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667: BL2KIT12864AA663
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146567
$263 -- Might be the same stuff that's in the next kit

- Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800: BL2KIT12864AA804
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146565
$273 -- Might be the same chips as in teh DDR 667 part above ---> maybe binned higher?

They all seem to have sterling reviews on Newegg. I'm tempted to go w/ the Firestix, but they're not guaranteed to be D9s. I'm looking for the highest overclock I can get w/ my E6400. I would like to also keep timing has low as possible as well. Please share any experiences you might have w/ any of these kits and help me make a choice!

I have the G.Skill HZ: F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ and I have overclocked them to 1000MHz+ easy :)

Crucial Ballistix are the only ones guaranteed to be D9

But first tell us, how fast are you planning to clock that E6400?

Well it's going be watercooled (storm, pa120.2 rad) so I'm hoping to run it as high as I can get it to go. Possibly >3.5ghz.

I'm using the Firestix and after some initial problems getting them to run @ stock 400mhz jumped to 420mhz @ auto vdimm and they worked fine..running @ 430 2.1v right now but have had them to 440mhz 2.2 and would probably get more but I thing my P5W is stopping me @ reasonable voltages...I got them from the egg and I'm happy I got them they are d9s..it also seems 965 boards get better oc's with these than 975 boards..

That's really good to hear Ripper... how recently did you order them?
Also, let me know what your max OC is if you decide to take them that far.

I received the Firestix from newegg on Friday and they are D9's. Havent had a chance to test them yet though.

That's really good to hear Ripper... how recently did you order them?
Also, let me know what your max OC is if you decide to take them that far.
Got them the last week of Jan..some have had them since and report d9s also..max stable oc 440 mhz @ 2.2v but I have booted into XP @ 455 mhz 2.2v with E6400 @ 1.55v but could never get it orthos stable for more than 34min..didn't like the temps and voltages so I dropped to where I am right now [email protected] tried 2.3v and 2.4v with active cooling on the mem and no difference in oc..I think my issue is with my P5W DH m/b and mem straps and such

I received the Firestix from newegg on Friday and they are D9's. Havent had a chance to test them yet though.
please give us your results soon! r u gona push them all the way you can? l i am about to buy some ram and am very much considering those!

Got them the last week of Jan..some have had them since and report d9s also..max stable oc 440 mhz @ 2.2v but I have booted into XP @ 455 mhz 2.2v with E6400 @ 1.55v but could never get it orthos stable for more than 34min..didn't like the temps and voltages so I dropped to where I am right now [email protected] tried 2.3v and 2.4v with active cooling on the mem and no difference in oc..I think my issue is with my P5W DH m/b and mem straps and such

That would be really disappointing if it's not your mobo. Right now I'm leaning towards the g.skillz and the higher speed microns since they seem to oc consistantly higher according to the newegg reviews.

I was definitely going to get the ram fans regardless of whatever memory I was going to pickup. Unfortunately those 8500 are just way out of my budget. I know memory prices are on their way down a bit so I'm hoping not to pay so much for it now.

Two more very interesting choices. Too bad I already used my paypal rebate when i bought some microsd cards. I usually don't hear very many good things about ordering from tiger direct. Seems memory prices are on their way down. Question is when is rock bottom?

The Team Group is an up and comer worth watching. I am dying to get my hands on their ddr2 1200 when it drops a bit in price.

check em out:D

Pardon my rookie question, but since I'm in the early stages of a C2D build and researching memory options, this seems relevant.

What is D9?

Pardon my rookie question, but since I'm in the early stages of a C2D build and researching memory options, this seems relevant.

What is D9?

D9 is the first 2 ldigits of the 5-digits IC made by Micron. They are known to be able to go very high in speed.

Yeah, basically the ICs are the chips that go on modules. There are legendary ones like the winbond BH-5 series. Recent ones include TCCDs and D9s. There are diffferent memory fabs and they each make different kinds of chips. RAM makers bin them (sort them according to speed). Here this will break it down for you better.

So when you get a good set of chips that can reach high speeds and take a lot of voltage, then that is why they are sought after.

Back