Which Cryorig CPU cooler to buy?

erik8hfr

Weaksauce
I want to buy a Cryorig CPU cooler to replace my Intel stock cooler. There are 3 models which are H7, H5 Universal, and H5 Ultimate if not mistaken. I'm using Intel i5-3470 and Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H.

I wasn't aware that was a requirement.
I was going off the fact that you aren't overclocking and the H7 is the cheaper of the 3 and probably cools just as well as the H5.
So the H5 might be quieter, just make sure it fits in your case. It might be to tall.

I wasn't aware that was a requirement.
I was going off the fact that you aren't overclocking and the H7 is the cheaper of the 3 and probably cools just as well as the H5.
So the H5 might be quieter, just make sure it fits in your case. It might be to tall.
How about Cryorig M9i? Isn't much more cheaper and fit my current specs?

Any of them will work. You obviously have a budget you didn't mention or you would just get the best one. If you are a heavy overclocker you want the H7, if not get any of them.

Isn't H7 overkill my current specs?

The H5 is probably overkill. It's larger than the H7. The M9 would work, but I've had 90mm heatsinks in the past, and didn't like their performance. I'd only opt for one with a 120/140 fan. Personally.

H7 if it will fit in your case is what I would choose. It's big enough to cool your CPU under heavy load quietly .. the M9 will cool it, but will make much more noise and be much more noticeable doing it.

How's their idea of Cu cooler vs. Al cooler that other brands use? The motherboard must have weighs a ton

I'm very interested in finding out how much cooling improvement the Cu series give .. as well as the weight difference. In this video from Computex at 4:22 is Cu series and R4 coolers. He says the the C7 Cu lowers temps 10c (5:05) and that H5 weights over 2 kilo (5:30).

I am more interest in the extra cost and whether the extra cost justify the extra cooling

I seriously doubt the cooling difference will justify the added cost. Copper is much more expensive than aluminum and previous copper coolers did not give significantly lower temps than same cooler with aluminum fins. After all the heatpipes and base are copper in the standard coolers with aluminum fins, so it's only the fins that are different .

I do look forward to doing some side by side testing of these. If they really do give 10c improvement it will be worth a stiff cost increase.

I'm also very interested in seeing how the H5 Quad Lumi performs. I really don't care about the RGB lighting. To me it's just foo foo.

I don't think anyone has tested any of the Cu line. The HardOCP test procedure is not really comparing how coolers perform against each other because the use room ambient air temp while testing with coolers in their Corsair Carbide series case. What they are doing is comparing how different coolers perform in their system only. Reason is case airflow warms up as it moves into and through case to the cooler. The warming is from as little as 2-3c to as much as 15-20c depending on case fan speed, other heat sources and what CPU cooler is being tested .. and it changes almost every time a cooler is changed in the system. It's like cooking a 3 course dinner in the kitchen and using thermometer in family room to monitor kitchen temperature. :D Kitchen might be the same temp as family room when no cooking is being done, but when cooking the kitchen will be warmer. ;)

Copper coolers tend to cool better, everything else being the same, as shown in the past, with coolers like the TRUE copper.

The cost however is almost never worth it, the TRUE copper was one of the biggest coolers for a while and that was the only step up. Now we have bigger dual tower coolers and AIO coolers that tend to be better bang for the buck. If you are absolutely space limited and can use a AIO etc, copper coolers are the way to go, that is not the case in most custom builds however and tend to only relate to SFF and laptops.

What case are these going in? What are your uses? Will you be OCing? is better cooling or less noise a priority? What is your budget? Why limit the options to only a single brand?

Back