Which CPU is better?

AjFreimuth

[H]ard|Gawd
A buddy offered to swap me a X4 9950 BE for my X3 720 BE..

Wasn't sure which would be the better of the 2...

plus, yours is unlocked and @ 3.5ghz, I Don't think that 9950be will ever see 3.5ghz, even if it does, it will be slower than the x3 @ 3.5

If you can unlock the X3, it's undoubtedly better. Even at stock speed and locked, the X3 is faster in gaming and pretty close to the 9950 in many non-gaming benchmarks. Not a good trade IMO.

plus, yours is unlocked and @ 3.5ghz, I Don't think that 9950be will ever see 3.5ghz, even if it does, it will be slower than the x3 @ 3.5

Stock speed comparisson here. Close in most things, X3 faster in gaming, X4 faster in encoding stuff.

Agree on the 3.5ghz though, not likely the 9950 will clock that high, so adjusting for clock speed the X3 would beat the X4 in just about everything.

Nice comparison. I love it when resources like that are available and seem to apply perfectly. :)

Thanks guys that's what I was thinking..
Also yes I've unlocked my 4th core and I can go as high as 3.7ghz stable. (I've booted up at 3.8ghz but it's not stable) But I just leave it at 3.5ghz.

Stock speed comparisson here. Close in most things, X3 faster in gaming, X4 faster in encoding stuff.

Agree on the 3.5ghz though, not likely the 9950 will clock that high, so adjusting for clock speed the X3 would beat the X4 in just about everything.

considering his chip is unlocked, even clock for clock it will be faster.

An unlocked X3 Phenom II is definitely better than a Phenom X4. Phenom X4 are slower, runs hotter, uses more power, and can barely overclock.

Your buddy is not a good con. Tell him to scratch out the 0 next time and put a BE there

Not to go off topic but the 965 black edition on newegg just got lowered to $139! Same price as the 955 now which is sweet. Might want to buy one now and upgrade from my Phenom 9600 Black.

Definitely go with the phenom 2. The phenom 1's arent horrible, but they are definitely not work horses. I got my 9600 from 2.3Ghz to 2.5Ghz on stock voltage(1.25V), and got it to 2.9Ghz at 1.4V on stock Black Edition cooling. Probably had more in it if I pushed more voltage, but I didnt trust my cooling. Even though I never went above 41C under load at 2.9Ghz. If I cant sell it when I go to upgrade, I am definitely going to try to see how far It will go.

A buddy offered to swap me a X4 9950 BE for my X3 720 BE..

Wasn't sure which would be the better of the 2...

Politely decline the trade offer: That X4 9950 BE will not work at all with your current mobo. Nor will it even physically fit the AM3 socket. You see, that 9950 BE is an AM2+ CPU while your current X3 720 is AM3. Socket AM2+ CPUs have 940 pins while AM3 CPUs have only 938 pins. If you try to force-fit in the 9950 BE onto your current AM3 mobo, you will damage the CPU. This is because AM2+ and AM3 are only one-way compatible: AM3 CPUs will work in AM2+ sockets, but not the other way around.

Man that is the difference between a HEMI and a lawn mower. Sounds like your buddy is trying to put one over on you. I'd slap him upside his damned head for even thinking he could get away with that. :p

Not to go off topic but the 965 black edition on newegg just got lowered to $139! Same price as the 955 now which is sweet. Might want to buy one now and upgrade from my Phenom 9600 Black.

Definitely go with the phenom 2. The phenom 1's arent horrible, but they are definitely not work horses. I got my 9600 from 2.3Ghz to 2.5Ghz on stock voltage(1.25V), and got it to 2.9Ghz at 1.4V on stock Black Edition cooling. Probably had more in it if I pushed more voltage, but I didnt trust my cooling. Even though I never went above 41C under load at 2.9Ghz. If I cant sell it when I go to upgrade, I am definitely going to try to see how far It will go.

Amd x4 980 will also be released not far in the distant future
Cokey pen ->x =980x =3.9x4=15.6Ghz 980x Cpu to be sold on ebay

Back