Which CPU for server, P4 2.8, AMD 2800, Barton 3000?

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at purchasing a webserver which will be hosting a small web forum of a lil over 4000 members with about 40-60 members online at any given time. Before I purchased a server I'd like to get some suggestions on which CPU would give me the best bang for my buck.

- P4 2.8 HT enabled
- AMD Barton 3000+
- AMD Athlon 2800+

Regardless of CPU the server will have 2.5GB DDR RAM and a 36GB SCSI HD. I've seen reviews and benchmarks on all three CPU's and depending on which company is paying those sites depends on the results of the benchmarks so I'm hoping a few of you might have some real world experience.

Thanks,

-Michael

although I'm an AMD guy, something tells me that, given those choices, go with the P4 with HyperThreading. Any disagree?

My vote is for the P4. People may diss HyperThreading but it can be handy for servers if you cant get dual cpu. I assume you dont have a motherboard yet, in which case i'd suggest going for a single xeon so you can upgrade later to dual. You can get motherboards for xeons that run on normal DDR ram so you wouldnt have to worry about replacing that.

r00k said:
although I'm an AMD guy, something tells me that, given those choices, go with the P4 with HyperThreading. Any disagree?
agreed, the 3200 athlon is about the same as a 2.8 i believe. if i were you though, id look into a refurbished opteron (lower end) at newegg, im not sure on the pricing but you could probalbly get one for just a little bit more than the 2.8 brand new... the differnce in performance might make it a better deal though.. but idk..

the 2.8 would prolly be the best bet out of those 3 though,.. and i too, am an AMD guy.

I'd be looking at XEON or Opteron. If your going with a cheaper chip. atleast go A64.

Scheizekopf said:
Same AS Me.

Of those three I'd say the P4 because of hyperthreading (just like everyone else :) )

However, I wouldn't limit yourself to just those three. Depending on the specific application you use, an Opteron (single) or Athlon 64 might be right up your alley. The Opterons have really dropped in price so a single one of those might be pretty cheap. Also, you have the option of buying Athlon MP's and putting those in a dual config (might be cheap to pick some up used).

DoMeHardR said:
What OS, web server, database server, etc are you running?

First I have to limit myself to just those three CPU's as I can only rent a server with that dedicated web hosting company offers as I'm not building it myself and then co-locating it.

Anyways as for OS I'd be running CentOS, Apache, MySQL, PHP, vBulletin for forum software and Photopost for image gallery.

-Michael

Are you building it yourself? or are you buying from a vendor? HP's makes good servers ... although Dell sometimes have a fire sale on their entry level servers ...

If it will only house the webserver ... then any will do ... if you'll also house the database in it, and can only afford one CPU ... go with P4 or Xeon w/ hyperthreading ...

Back