• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which CPU for my new build?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
1,315
I don't know if I should be asking this here or in the vid card forum, but my main question is.

Will any of these 3 CPU's bottleneck an HD 4870 X2?

Core I7 920
Q6600
E8500


I'm back and forth between which CPU I want to upgrade to. The obvious choice is the I7 920 if money is not an object, but as most people this day, it is.

I could go with the I7 but it will take longer for me to save up for the Mobo/DDR3 since they're more expensive than an 775 board/ram.
 
i7 if you plan on OC at all, 4Ghz no problem.
Depends what you're going to use it for also.
Dual for games, Quad for encoding.
 
I don't know if I should be asking this here or in the vid card forum, but my main question is.

Will any of these 3 CPU's bottleneck an HD 4870 X2?

Core I7 920
Q6600
E8500


I'm back and forth between which CPU I want to upgrade to. The obvious choice is the I7 920 if money is not an object, but as most people this day, it is.

I could go with the I7 but it will take longer for me to save up for the Mobo/DDR3 since they're more expensive than an 775 board/ram.



No, I doubt any of them will bottleneck your 4870 x2. If I were you and was buying a completly new system I'd go for the core i7. However you you already got perhaps ddr2 ram and a decent mb then I would suggest E8500 for gaming since they tend to clock very well.
 
My wife wont let me spend that much money, so i7 is out for me. If i was going to buy an i7 system I would probably wait till mid next year though... I think prices will start to drop by then
 
I would go with either e8400 or Q9550...i7 great as it seems but with performance/price ratio in mind it makes no sense for the time being...
 
Back
Top