Which CPU for my C.A.D. program?

Casej18

Limp Gawd
Hey,
Well I'm looking to build a computer to run GemVision which CAD program and I had a build idea than I read more about the program and what it will allow which completely through off what I was planning. I'm not sure what to get know, so please recommend me something.
Here are the requirments for the program;
http://www.gemvision.com/html/products/matrix/matrix_system_requirements.html

I was planning on going Quad-Core, but it doesnt support it or 64bit windows. Here is some extra info taken from there website;

Matrix is processor-intensive, so getting a faster processor is always a good thing. First, the difference between “dual processors” which are 2 physical CPUs and have NO speed effect on the software and “dual core” processors which are essentially 2 CPUs hardwired into 1 physical chip and have great performance and speed returns on the software.

Even if the program doesnt support it doesnt mean you cant buy a quad core processor. I would say go with the q6600 and that way you have the horse power in case you can use it later.

It doesn't say that quad CPUs are not supported - in fact it says nothing about it. However, it says that Dual core is better than single - which implies that the software is threaded nicely. If that's true, then a quad processor will be faster than a dual - by how much, we can't say, but it should be faster.

That web page is out of date quite a bit since it talks about dual core as the newest thing.

Right now the Q6600 offers good power for the money if quad is desired. Alternatively, the E8xxx dual core are quite a bargain compared to the older E6xxx they replace.

Back