• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which core to choose (A64)...

karnick

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2004
Messages
183
ok guys heres the deal.. ive been out of the game for a while..... its been about 6 months since i havent had to buy any new hardware... i have a 3000+ newcastle, that shows u how behind i am... but i have a friend who bought a MSI K8N neo2 plat and i am trying to figure out which chip and core to go with for the best overclocks (939 pin of course).... last time i was on the forums i think the winchesters were doing the best.... thanks guys
 
Venice cores run cool and can get some very good overclocks.
 
I have the K8N Neo4 Platinum with Venice 3000+ and my experience has been one of frustration. It's a long story, but I'll try to boil it down to this: The board won't post above 240 FSB. After some extensive searching, I've found that a lot of enthusiasts are complaining about a BIOS bug with this board and Winchester CPUs. Apparently when paired with a Winchester, the board won't post above 220 or 225 FSB. I assume the problem I've been seeing is similar/related to the one with Winchester CPUs.

To work around this problem, I boot my machine at 220FSB and I've set up ClockGen to run at Windows startup, and boost my FSB to 267 in Windows. This gives me a final setting of 267x9 = 2403Mhz, my RAM is on 166Mhz divider for 218.5Mhz at 1T-2.5-3-3-6 timings. I am very happy with the temps (never over 41c under load) and the overclockability of the system. But I am not happy about what appears to be a BIOS bug that MSI will neither acknowledge or offer a solution for. Basically their statement is "it runs at stock, shame on your for trying to overclock .. bad enthusiast!"

So bottom line, the Venice core is a good choice. The MSI board is a good overclocker. But be prepared to do more fiddling than you might have to normally, or consider another board (DFI LanParty is nice I hear.)

MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum (non-SLI)
A64 3000+ Venice @ 2403Mhz
Arctic Cooling Freezer64 HSF
2x512MB Corsair XMS
PowerColor X800XL 256MB
OCZ ModStream 520W PSU
 
A 3000+ or 3200+ Venice would be an awsome place to start. I wouldn't go any further then that with that core, if you've got the cash and want something more, go for a 3700+ SD and the extra cache.

The longer you wait the lower your chances are at a nice overclocker though....MANY of the newer Venice steppings and production dates are producing less then desirable OC's.

If you've got a local shop or a friendly online store you deal with, ask them if they can tell you what steppings they have in stock. 0515's and 0517's were/are typically very nice overclockers...but the newer 0518 and especially 0520 dated chips aren't fairing too well.

EDIT: This should actually be here though...a little more relevant me thinks.
 
Back
Top