Which Cooler

InsanePerson

Limp Gawd
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Case Antec Twelve Hundred

Those are the parts I can think of that are relative to the question, which heatsink/fan should I get? I've got overclocking in mind but even just keeping it cooler at stock speeds. I dont want to water cool at this time, and I've got around $100 left in my budget
Please recommend at heatsink and fan, does not have to be a combo package but I will need both.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

or

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme w/ med speed Yate Loon 120mm fan

Get the bolt-thru kit for either. Both will cool that Q6600 quite well.

30C at load, maybe. The 9700 is not a particularly good cooler, and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme suggested by HydroBudz are both significantly better coolers.

I'm sure you meant idle and not load, and you would be correct. However this cooler has not disappointed me with a little OCZ Freeze on it. After a little tweaking I have to change my previous statement though. Now running at 3.6 and 28c. :D

I'm sure you meant idle and not load, and you would be correct. However this cooler has not disappointed me with a little OCZ Freeze on it. After a little tweaking I have to change my previous statement though. Now running at 3.6 and 28c. :D
Yes, I meant idle. And regardless of your personal experience, the fact still remains that compared to the TRUE and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, the Zalman 9700 is still an inferior cooler, and there is no good reason to spend more money for a cooler that will perform worse.

Yes, I meant idle. And regardless of your personal experience, the fact still remains that compared to the TRUE and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, the Zalman 9700 is still an inferior cooler, and there is no good reason to spend more money for a cooler that will perform worse.

Agreed.

+1

It's also helpful to note that idle temps mean nothing...At all..

The Xigmatek S1283 is hands down the best bang for the buck cooler. Just make sure to get the optional bolt-through kit as well.

If you feel like lapping, then get the TRUE
If you don't feel like lapping, get the TRUE, CM V8 or Noctua NH-U12P

The NH-U12P has the best "bang for buck" concept after the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer (incompatible with the UD3 series)

The cooler comes with high performance TIM, a very high quality, quiet performance fan, "top" notch cooler & very very secure mounting system compared to the TRUE

The V8 is a exceptional cooler as well, outperforming the NH-U12P at stock setup and the fan on that isn't too loud either but the cost is high.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

or

Sorry about the newb question, but I am new to OCing and want to begin OCing my E8500 and I was wondering what a bolt through kit is. Thanks

Sorry about the newb question, but I am new to OCing and want to begin OCing my E8500 and I was wondering what a bolt through kit is. Thanks

This is a bolt through kit. It is used in place of the crappy push pin retention system that Intel uses. If the mobo is already mounted in the case you will have to remove it to use a bolt through kit, as it has it's own back plate.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283

or

Right on. I'm actually using exactly the TRUE-120 with a medium speed YL fan! :)

Thank you all for the suggestions

If you feel like lapping, then get the TRUE
If you don't feel like lapping, get the TRUE, CM V8 or Noctua NH-U12P

The NH-U12P has the best "bang for buck" concept after the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer (incompatible with the UD3 series)

The cooler comes with high performance TIM, a very high quality, quiet performance fan, "top" notch cooler & very very secure mounting system compared to the TRUE

The V8 is a exceptional cooler as well, outperforming the NH-U12P at stock setup and the fan on that isn't too loud either but the cost is high.

*!NOOB ALERT!*
Whats lapping?

*!NOOB ALERT!*
Whats lapping?

It's when you take a known flat surface (such as a glass plate) and put sand paper down and "lap" or "sand" the bottom of the HS/CPU until it is flat and smooth. Lapping kits can be had through Easy PC Kits. They have great prices and save you time from having to run around town and pick everything up.

Back