• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which controller should I use for my HDD's?

Razenko

n00b
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
39
Hi,

I've ordered components for a new system a couple of days ago and they arrived today.
With that build, I've ordered two SATA 3 WD Caviar Blacks, and a Crucial M4 SATA 3 SSD.

My mainboard (Asus P8Z68 Deluxe) has an extra controller (Marvell 9128) for two additional SATA 3 ports.
I was planning on connecting the SSD to the Intel SATA 3 port, But I'm not sure where to put the HDD's.

I've heard that the Marvell is a bit of a dodgy controller.
Considering the HDD's support SATA 3, should I plug them in the Marvell controller, or would it be better to connect them to Intels SATA2 ports?

I'm not using RAID or anything, I'm just wondering which option would give the best performance and stabilty, considering that conventional HDD's are probably not going to be bottlenecked by SATA 2's bandwidth limits (Or am I wrong?).
 
HDDs are fine on SATA2, other than boosting benchmarks by a % or two (when reading small data from the disk cache), SATA 3.0 (SATA 600, SATA 6G) does not provide any benefit for HDDs at this point in time.

-TLB

Besides doubling the bandwidth, there are minor changes in SATA rev 3.0, but unless you have some specialized equipment, it won't matter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_revision_3.0_.28SATA_6_Gbit.2Fs.29
 
Just a little FYI for the new guy....

Always use your Intel controller unless you need something specific from the extra/3rd party controller.

Your mechanical drives (SATA 3 WD Caviar Blacks) don't need, nor will they improve, by being on a SATA3 port but Intel is the better controller so use all of it's ports first with the mechanical drives being on the SATA2 Intel ports.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
 
Back
Top