Which controller do you prefer for PC gaming, PS4 or Xbox One?

Which controller do you prefer for PC gaming, PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4 controller

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Xbox One controller

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Neither of these 2

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

biggles

2[H]4U
I used to game using Xbox 360 controllers for PC games. The ergonomics are good and just about all games were configured to work properly with correct onscreen prompts.

Recently I had a wired 360 pad go bad. And then with the 2004 Windows 10 update generic wireless receivers no longer work (the driver can be modified to work however, topic for a separate thread).

Thoughts on PS4 controller: like the dpad, better than 360 for sure. Gyroscope is nice for racing. But games tend to be more compatible with Xbox One or 360 pads. Xbox controllers "feel" better for some reason, but it may be a matter of habit/practice. I currently own a PS4 controller but did not try it on PC until a few days ago.

Anyway, just wondered what the forum members here think of one controller vs the other for PC games. I have not actually laid hands on an Xbox One controller yet. Impression is that it is similar to the 360 device with a better dpad.

+1 for Xbox. I use a 360 version for PC gaming with the generic wireless dongle and works well

I only had a PS4 for awhile and couldn't deal with the controllers. I stopped console gaming all together for like 3 years until I got an Xbox again

Between Xbox One and PS4 controllers - Xbox One. It feels similar to the 360 but that d-pad is alot better (less 'squishy'). Just make sure its the latest revision of the controller, they added a nice texture grip to the back, and the shoulder buttons feel better.

PS4 controller is fine, feels a bit 'cheaper' imo but I do like the rechargeable battery (even if their life isn't the greatest).

Between Xbox One and PS4 controllers - Xbox One. It feels similar to the 360 but that d-pad is alot better (less 'squishy'). Just make sure its the latest revision of the controller, they added a nice texture grip to the back, and the shoulder buttons feel better.

PS4 controller is fine, feels a bit 'cheaper' imo but I do like the rechargeable battery (even if their life isn't the greatest).

You can use one of these https://www.amazon.com/Kit-carga-re...er+rechargeable+battery&qid=1598745570&sr=8-5

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I preferred the feel of the 360 controller to the One. Still use a wired 360 controller. I will probably get a wireless Series X controller, or maybe a One controller if they fire sale them when the new console comes out.

I used an Elite for years and just grabbed an Elite 2. Still the best controllers money can buy.

I have a PS4 Pro so I use a PS4 controller on a fairly regular basis and it's okay, just a bit cheap feeling and slightly uncomfortable.

If I have no choice because the devs have botched K/M controls, my 360 controllers are still going strong.

have always used KB/M even for games like Dark Souls 1 where people claimed it was 'unplayable' without a controller...always remap keys...KB/M is always the best...when I had my PS4 it took me awhile to get used to the controller...never felt 100% comfortable though...feels like I'm always having to think which button to push versus with KB/M where it happens on instinct

so for the purpose of this poll I'll say the PS4 controller because I did like the feel and button layout (which could also be remapped)

To me the difference is minor but I prefer the Xbox controller over the PS4. I like the offset left thumbstick cause it feels more balanced in my hand when switching from thumbstick to buttons with the right hand.

Also, the Xbox controller seems to work a lot more seamlessly in games than the PS4 does. It's a lot more likely to be "plug and play".

I was given a wired XBOX 1 controller that I've been content with using. Added perk is that the cable used is a micro USB one that lets me use a shorter cable with my laptop. I also have a USB Nintendo 64 controller for emulation(with games I have cartridges for of course) use.

Wouldn't mind a wireless XBOX 1 controller but honestly with how few games I have that a controller is needed to play its not worth the cost vs free

I have an xb1 controller, I tried it with Bluetooth but the latency was too high so I got the dongle and that solved the issue. May not be an issue if you don’t play games where latency is a problem

PS4 controller for me also. I also have a XB360 controllers but I didn't really like it espeically the dpad. I tried the steam one and hated it. For me PS4 is the only one that feels right. I have never tried the XB1 or Elite controllers but given how finicky I am about controllers I won't buy one to just try and see if I like it better (the steam controller taught me that lesson). I am sure there is a bit of legacy issues for the XB360 style layout also factored in. I mean I have been using sony controllers since the PS1 days so that layout is what feels most comfortable and natural to me. Even when I bought my XB360 I always didn't like that the left thumbstick was in the wrong position. ;)

I use all of them rather often, but I use the Xbox One pad the most. Most games tend to be in 3D in first or third person perspective, so I like the analog layout for it better. I use the PS4 pad with anything that uses the D-pad more. There aren't that many games that do, but older 2D games and fighters definitely do. I can play most Street Figher games (except 3) with analog sticks, but something movement-heavy like Tekken? You basically HAVE to use a D-pad or a joystick.
I use a mouse for anything twitchy. Doom, Borderlands, Max Payne, etc. It's also good for anything where rapid pointing is helpful.
I began as a console player, but it took me a while to get used to dual analog layouts. Especially after playing PC shooters using KB/M back in the 90's. It felt wrong for a long time, but now I prefer it for anything that doesn't need absolute precision.

Never been particularly fond of the Playstation controller. Been using an Xbox controller for when I need a controller on PC since the original wired 360 controller. Currently using the Xbox One Gears 5 limited edition one with the official wireless dongle. Tried an Elite 2, which was absolutely amazing feeling, but returned it pretty much immediately due to issues with the "A" button. Shame MS can't get their shit together with QC on the Elite controllers. Oh well... at least the regular controllers use standard AA batteries, so I guess they do one thing better than the Elite besides actually working.

I prefer the joystick layout on the Xbone controller, but for every other aspect of the controller I prefer the PS4 controller on PC because the touchpad and gyro sensors are nice to have, the D-Pad is def better, and also the triggers IMO. So I voted DS4.

I've been meaning to try this out on my Dual Shock 4 as well:

Gyro aiming could be as good as keyboard+mouse in some instances and I can see how after becoming pretty accustomed to it on the Switch Pro controller on Zelda BotW. Sony could get a major advantage on controller input if they implement this option into their own console games, IMO.

In fact, since I just picked up Control on Steam, I think I may have a good excuse to try this out now on that game for the first time.

botw was the only time ive ever used gyro control. what else uses it? to me its just a gimmick.

botw was the only time ive ever used gyro control. what else uses it? to me its just a gimmick.

With DS4Windows (and possibly Steam's controller settings but haven't tried) one can map keys to the DS4 gyro. There one isn't reliant on native game support. It's particularly useful for driving/flying games.

With DS4Windows (and possibly Steam's controller settings but haven't tried) one can map keys to the DS4 gyro. There one isn't reliant on native game support. It's particularly useful for driving/flying games.
and its accurate enough? i used ds4w and the gyro just long enough to get past a part in botw and that was it. it didnt seem like it was that accurate through ds4 and the emu.

I have multiple controllers I use for different things, including an XboxOne (Elite Series 2, admittedly the best "traditional" controller I've seen to date), JoyCons + Switch Pro (for emulation of Nintendo consoles like Wii U, 3DS, and Switch), and a Steam Controller ( Different, but extremely well made and full featured. Its just a pity the layout is so different and requires adjustment. I really hope to see a Steam Controller 2 that fixes these issues).

Ultimately, the XboxOne (Elite S2) is my standard for traditional cross platform "controller focused" games, because of its easy XInput support, analog triggers, decent driver support (even on Linux!) and more. The only downside to Xbox controllers is the lack of a gyroscope/motion-control option, which I really hope that MS fixes with the next generation of "Series X" controllers; using the gyros of the Switch Pro / Steam Controller (and DS4, though I don't own a DS4 of my own currently) I can see a potential benefit combining both the aiming options of the various thumbsticks/pads plus the motion of the gyro and its a pain that Xbox doesn't support it. Overall for almost all standard games I have an Xbox-style controller, but there are situational benefits for use of the others - not to mention specialized peripherals like my custom Panzer 3i Arcade Stick I built or HOTAS flight sim hardware from VKB or Virpil.

The Switch Pro controller would be a hell of a lot more useful if the triggers had analog functionality. It's built like a tank, it isn't super heavy, charging lasts for long periods of time, and it's really comfortable. It would be damn near perfect with analog triggers.

After using XB controllers for years, I switched to the PS4 controller and found it better at just about everything except racing games.

I like the PS4 controller better, but use the Xbox One controller on the computer because of the better integration.

I just replaced my Logitech f710 that was almost a decade old and still working but getting a bit rough with another f710. It uses xinput and the xbox button layout making it the most compatible with modern games while also fitting my hand better and I strongly prefer the layout of the analog sticks which is probably the biggest difference between it and the 360 controller. I haven't tried it with the may windows update yet but I suspect it might cause me some issues.

I wish we had more controller options like in the past because I'd like to have a larger controller with cupped rather than domed sticks(also taller), a good 8 way d-pad, and triggers with more travel and less tension.

I just replaced my Logitech f710 that was almost a decade old and still working but getting a bit rough with another f710. It uses xinput and the xbox button layout making it the most compatible with modern games while also fitting my hand better and I strongly prefer the layout of the analog sticks which is probably the biggest difference between it and the 360 controller. I haven't tried it with the may windows update yet but I suspect it might cause me some issues.

I wish we had more controller options like in the past because I'd like to have a larger controller with cupped rather than domed sticks(also taller), a good 8 way d-pad, and triggers with more travel and less tension.

If you're willing to accept the "Xbox style asymmetric" analog stick layout, I'd suggest looking into the Xbox Elite Series 2 if you can stomach the expense. It offers all you ask for and more. Various stick options including concave vs convex and varying heights (shorter, average/stock, taller), a faceted 8-way D-pad + a 4-way cross style D-pad option, adjustable triggers including trigger stops or full-depth etc. Not to mention much more such as up to 4 additional back fingertip button "paddles" , the only Xbox controller with both a built in upgraded battery pack and USB-C support, plus a bunch of accessories and a case everything together (you can even used the included contact-chargind dock from within the closed case thanks to a neat little portal in the side that you can open). It is expensive, but overall I've had a great experience.

If you want Playstation style symmetric controller layouts, there isn't much on the market - at least not first party. There are some high end 3rd party controllers like the SCUF Impact that could potentially offer the customization features you've mentioned. For something a bit more affordable that still seems to be well received, you may want to check out 8BitDo. Their highest end controller, the SN30 Pro+ has a symmetric layout, concave sticks (not necessarily taller) , adjustable triggers, though a "classic style" cross dpad etc... but has wide compatibility (Xinput, DInput, consoles etc) , USB-C + battery pack, motion controls etc.. and overall seems to be pretty decent. Price wise it seems to be comparable to many major controllers at $50 MSRP, so I wouldn't expect it compete with the $100+ Elite / customs but if it manages a solid showing alongside first-party XBOne, DS4, and Switch Pro controllers then its doing well.

I have an Xbox controller for my PC, because it was more compatbible.

I'd like a big step up from thumbsticks and their poor center performance, leading to a software deadzone.

Maybe some kind of digital sensor that can accurately track through center.

I prefer the feel of the Playstation controller, but the Xbox integration in everything has slowly made me adapt. Mostly because of the kids not being able translate a = x kinda stuff on the fly.

If you're willing to accept the "Xbox style asymmetric" analog stick layout
Yeah that's a deal breaker for sure. I've looked at most of the controllers on the market recently including some of the custom ones but haven't seen any that interest me. There's a ton of variety in driving, flying, and fighting controllers these days but most of the regular gamepads seem either be a PS or xbox style controller with minor variations

Back