• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which Console Is The Noisiest?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Of the three new consoles, which do you think might be the loudest? Well, this guy put them to the test and you might be surprised which console was the loudest. While the testing is far from scientific, it does give you a rough idea what kind of noise output each console has.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have now all released their consoles into the wild. Microsoft had a year head start. Nintendo has made a huge leap towards catching up and Sony is doing their best as well. Now that all three consoles are in the wild, I was curious to determine which console made the most noise. I’m certain I’m not alone in this thought.
 
As a 360 owner....this really surprised me. Given the noise that it generates, especially with a game disc inserted, I'd figure that it would be at the top of the field in noise levels...

Gears of War also is the noisiest game to play, by far, and yet it STILL scored lower...
 
So far from scientific, it's wrong!

The meter needs to be set up in the room, on a tripod, equal distance from the systems. Then measure. Just jamming it behind or to the side of the system isn't going to yield accurate results.

Acoustics of the environment are just as important as the systems themselves.
 
I havent played with the other 2 systems, but my 360 is quite loud when reading off discs. Otherwise the rest of the time its not to bad, although still definetely audible.
 
after playing the ps3 for a couple hours @ my house, its still quieter than my watercooled rig, although i felt the back of it and HOT air was coming out just like my Bro's P4 laptop.
 
The Dreamcast. I have not heard a louder system yet.

QFT

When that thing seeked with a disk in, you knew it was happening, even if you were on the other side of the house! That is not to say it was not a great system, though.
 
no offence but that article is full of crap i own all 3 of them, and the ps3 and wii is hardly a noise while the 360 is a freaken hovercraft taking off
 
If it weren't for video being displayed I never would have known my PS3 was on. The only time I hear it is when I first turn it on and you get the initial hard drive 'click'. After that, dead silence even in the heat of battle or in the middle of a blu-ray movie. Definitely the quietest console I've ever owned. My original xbox wasn't too bad, but it did have more fan and dvd reading noise.

I have the same SPL meter so I'll check it out tonight.
 
Slot vs. Tray....the PS3 & Xbox drives are in an enclosed enviroment. I can't imagine the vibrations from the high spin speeds are less noticeable then the Wii...
 
If PS3 was off the charts in terms of noise then this would have been a scientific compairison :rolleyes:

I'm not saying this comparison was wrong (becasue it had many flaws), however people seem to be very quick to jump the gun whenever something may potentially be negative towards the wii.
 
Back
Top