• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which card should I get for now?

murky44

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
367
I have an 8800GTS here that I really want to upgrade. Basically I'm looking to buy an "in-between" card between now and when nVidia releases their new cards. At that point, I will either buy an 5000 series ATI card that has lower in priced, or a new fermi card. My question is which card do you guys think I should get between now and then?
 
I would wait for Fermi to come out and then you will see ATI drop prices on current 5850/5870/5970 and may even release a new one to time it right to compete with Nvidia.
If you can't wait, a 4890 would be a good upgrade over that and you can possibly get one for $150 if you look in the right places.
 
I would wait for Fermi to come out and then you will see ATI drop prices on current 5850/5870/5970 and may even release a new one to time it right to compete with Nvidia.
If you can't wait, a 4890 would be a good upgrade over that and you can possibly get one for $150 if you look in the right places.

That's exactly what he wants to do.

But I don't think there's any worthwhile filler card til then; the 8800 GTS 512 still holds its own. The 4890 will just make the performance boosts of the 5-series seem less dramatic. :p
 
With the crappy yields (for both AMD & Nvidia) I don't see prices dropping for a long time.
 
Thanks for the opinions...I guess I won't be getting a new card then....I just thought April/May is a pretty long time to wait (if it's really coming out that late)..cuz it doesn't look like they'll be releasing them any time sooner.
 
I would say go with the 4890. It is a great card and for ~$150 or less shipped if you use things like cashback, there aren't many other great options short of 5850/70.
I went from 8800 gts 512 to 4890 and it is a big improvement. Think I got sucked in by all the hype of the 5000 series. This power isn't really that necessary for 19x12 in all but a handful of games, and the 4890 still holds its own in those games. The 8800 is definitely dated though for higher res, the 4890 was a good upgrade for the price.

Oh and I only used the 4890 for 5 months, sold it on ebay for only $4.50 less than I paid for it new, it is such a great card in its price range, holds value well.
 
If you want an upgrade, I would just get a 5850/70 now. Sure, prices may drop by $50 in May, but so what? Is it worth waiting 5 months for a $50 savings? I really doubt they're going to drop very drastically. Most of the speculation points to Fermi cards costing more than ATI's current offerings, and if that's the case, there's really no reason that they should drop much at all.
 
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I decided I might go for an upgrade in January. I can wait til then without getting impatient. But I have one question:

If I decide to go for 2 5750s or 5770s for crossfire instead of a single 5850/5870 (reviews show the performance is equal or greater for lower cost), how much of a performance hit will I take w/ my Maximus II Formula motherboard (running at 8x/8x due to P45), if any? I know the bandwidth of 2.0 slots is doubled, but has anybody tried this with those cards and gotten a bottleneck? (keep in mind, my cpu is running at 4.0ghz 24/7).
Thanks
 
i dont have a maximus 2 formula board, but i do run 2 GTX 285's in sli at 8x/8x and i get similar FPS as to those running 285's in sli at 16x/16x
 
thanks for the input pandora. anybody try crossfire w/ a p45 (maybe a maximus ii) with those or similar cards?
 
Back
Top