Which cans to get?

i'm looking for a pair of phones that are portable (ipod) and on the cheaper side, 100 or less. they'll be taken to college and used for LAN's and college. i like street style even though they leak sound like no other. im not looking to get an amp as im not that much of an audiophile. i was looking at the sennheiser streets but im not sure. help me out.

Sennheiser HD 457's
Sound great for a pair of 60$ headphones
If you like closed headphones, then you might wanna go with the HD 212 Pros, which are again 60$
Both sound excellent, I checked them out with the source being an iPod, and they are easy enough to drive that you wont need an amp.

Whitedude said:
Sennheiser HD 457's
Sound great for a pair of 60$ headphones
If you like closed headphones, then you might wanna go with the HD 212 Pros, which are again 60$
Both sound excellent, I checked them out with the source being an iPod, and they are easy enough to drive that you wont need an amp.

The 497's are better and are much cheaper than the price you quoted.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~463762.asp

$37 + s/h = ~$40 shipped.

Sennheiser HD 457's

I hope that is a typo cause the 457's are not that easy to drive.... not like they are worth buying an amp for anyhow. ;)

Sennheiser PX200s for closed highly portable cans or the open PX100s.
Neither one of them need an amp when driven from a Ipod
The bass on the PX200s depends on how good of a seal you get so you may want to try them before you plop down the cash for them. ;)

Listen to ^. He knows far more than I about headphones.

At least that's what the pimeta amp on my desk told me...

Bah, now that I respond, all the big guns on the forums start responding as well :p
I love the PX100's, sound great, and are very very portable. I asked sennheiser to send me a soft case for them when I was getting one of the screws repaired and now I take them everywhere.
Anyway, listen to both of them :p /\
Especially Mister X...hes like a god with everything to do with headphones

bored-sarcasm said:
i'm looking for a pair of phones that are portable (ipod) and on the cheaper side, 100 or less. they'll be taken to college and used for LAN's and college. i like street style even though they leak sound like no other. im not looking to get an amp as im not that much of an audiophile. i was looking at the sennheiser streets but im not sure. help me out.

Sony MDR-V6 - closed, $60-70

It depends on your tastes in music and game presentation.

I personally enjoy my Sony MDR-V6/7506 very much. I think they would also do you well in gaming situations because they offer a fair degree of isolation. They also fold up so they can be stored in a backpack or something like that pretty easily. The MDR-V6 also gives a heck of a lot of bass, and the highs are extremeley detailed. So much so that some complain they are a bit harsh -- but that's the way I like to listen to most of my music. With a lot of detail and punchy action.

I see you plan on using them for lan gaming. You would probably want closed cans, lanparties can get quite loud sometimes. Check out the Senn HD280, or as MisterX said, PX200. I've also heard good things about the Sony Eggo, but I have yet to actually hear them.

saturnine2 said:
I see you plan on using them for lan gaming. You would probably want closed cans, lanparties can get quite loud sometimes. Check out the Senn HD280, or as MisterX said, PX200. I've also heard good things about the Sony Eggo, but I have yet to actually hear them.
I second this suggestion. I find that even the computer's fan noise in an otherwise quiet room is annoying when using open headphones (like my HD497s before I replaced them with the HD280). And if you're in a very loud enviroment, then closed headphones will probably be necessary to hear your music/games well unless you don't mind cranking the volume and killing your ears trying to drown out the ambient noise.

saturnine2 said:

Sony Eggos (MDR-D66) are good, but they don't isolate as much as Senn HD280's or Sony MDR-V6's.

Back