Which cable? DVI-to-HDMI?

Agrajag

Weaksauce
If I end up with an HDMI monitor I need to get from my Nvidia 8800 DVI to an HDMI. Which type of DVI do I need?

I was on Pacific Cable (great prices for cable) and they don't seem to have DVI-I to HDMI cables which made me think that's not right.

I believe I need:

DVI-D Male to HDMI male

Is that right?

yes it is, an go for the cable solution
an adapter and double hdmi might give disadvantages with scaling

I got one for like $5 at Target I think (DVI -> HDMI) and it works fine. For online, try MonoPrice

EDIT: And I mean a cable, not an adapter.

Great info! Thanks. Pacific Cable's been great for me but even their prices on this one seemed higher than I expected.

yes it is, an go for the cable solution
an adapter and double hdmi might give disadvantages with scaling

I am a bit confused now. What does that mean? Are you saying using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable is not as good as using a single DVI-to-HDMI cable? This seems to be opposite to some suggestions on http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283319

I was thinking of using the adapter solution + a HDMI v1.3a cable, so that in the future the cable will still be useful and not obsolete. If there's some disadvantage of this method then I might need to rethink again.

I am a bit confused now. What does that mean? Are you saying using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable is not as good as using a single DVI-to-HDMI cable? This seems to be opposite to some suggestions on http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283319

I was thinking of using the adapter solution + a HDMI v1.3a cable, so that in the future the cable will still be useful and not obsolete. If there's some disadvantage of this method then I might need to rethink again.

In that thread they're saying to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI cable so you won't have to buy an HDMI cable when video cards switch from DVI ports to HDMI ports. I don't think that methodology is correct though because I'm under the impression that video cards will go straight from having DVI ports to having Display Ports, skipping HDMI. Just get a DVI-to-HDMI cable because it will be more elegant and cheaper.

By the way, don't worry about the version of the cable.

Back