Which budget setup would get me the most points?

Which budget setup would get me the most points?

  • Keep the CPUs the way they are.

    Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Pentium D 805 + X1600 Pro in lieu of E6400 or E6300

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other suggestion: I'll let you know in the post.

    Votes: 1 9.1%

  • Total voters
    11
  • Poll closed .

chemist_slime

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,104
Seeing as some of you might have seen my other thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1115228 I would like some suggestions about what I am thinking of doing.

Instead of using pure CPUs, E6400 or 6300, I'm thinking of trading it in favor of Pentium D 805s and X1600Pro agp video cards instead. With the ECS motherboard supporting 1066 FSB, I can easily OC a Pentium D to 3.33 from default of 2.66 with ease since it has a 20X multiplier. Other suggestions are welcome but I want most points per setup. Please realize that the X1600 is not officially supported for GPU folding, but it does work, I've done my HW. :D
 
Here's a question.....are you worried about your power bill? Cause that will affect my choice.

 
Another question: If you've "done your homework" as you say perhaps you can provide some numbers for x1600Pro folding. Cause from the numbers I've seen you might as well throw rocks at cancer than fold with one of those.
Well okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but they don't seem to fold any better (points wise) than a decent CPU.

IMO you'd be a fool to give up a Conroe for a Pentium D 805 and a crappy video card.

 
Roman79 said:
Another question: If you've "done your homework" as you say perhaps you can provide some numbers for x1600Pro folding. Cause from the numbers I've seen you might as well throw rocks at cancer than fold with one of those.
Well okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but they don't seem to fold any better (points wise) than a decent CPU.

IMO you'd be a fool to give up a Conroe for a Pentium D 805 and a crappy video card.


X1600pro gets about 220 PPD.
 
chemist_slime said:
X1600pro gets about 220 PPD.

something pretty low like that. C2D will out score that most every day.
 
Whatever option allows me to beat you. ;)

I'm feeling another round of upgrades coming on.
 
Back
Top