• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which bookshelf speakers?

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
353
Hi, you may have seen my earlier thread in which I was asking some pretty stupid questions, and I have more stupid questions but decided it would be better to start a new thread.

Im trying to pick some bookshelf speakers to hook up to my computer and I have it narrowed down to a couple. Not knowing anything about speakers I dont know which ones are worth the money and which ones arent. So, I would appreciate it if you could rank the following speakers in order from best to worst, not based on the quality of the ebay item, but of the quality of the item in its new state. In other words, just pretend its new and im not buying it off of ebay. Heres the speakers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-301-Series...ewItem?hash=item180029411516#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-PRIMUS...ewItem?hash=item130027504536#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-E30-2-way-B...381QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150035184228

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-2500-BOOKSH...ewItem?hash=item270028249682#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bose-201-Series...ewItem?hash=item130025867253#ebayphotohosting

I should mention that these will be hooked up to a reciever/amp, but a very small one with only 25wpc. So I would appreciate it if you could help me out by ranking those speakers. Thanks a ton.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Primus 150s
JBL E30s
JBL 2500s

The Infinity's sound great for the money--they're a terrific value. Please stay away from the Bose--they represent a very poor value. Second (in my opinion) to the Primus' would be the E30s. I think the JBL sound signature is fun to listen to--perhaps not the most "accurate", but they're fairly forgiving.

EDIT---
Have you considered picking up some Insignia's from BB? They are a terrific value.
See here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1080124
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=690556
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184546
 
bah, 18 inches is too tall. I have a small space and 15 inches high is about the limit. Thats why I sort of like the Bose's: they're small. Still, you have to remember Im going to be using a cheapy reciever from 1985.
 
Dont always discount old recievers as crap. i have an ancient yamaha that blows away my new one for music in 2 ch. personally i have yet to find a better sounding reciever without spending $600+

but personally i would make room for the infinitys they will easily spank the boses and will be better than the JBL's

When it comes to comparing the infinitys to the JBL's its akin to comparing cadilacs and buics. they are made by the same company both are very nice but the infinitys are just a step above.

I believe bose is overrated for the most part and for the money you can always do better.
 
Get some old school monkey casket speakers. Something with a 12" or 15" woofer. That'll make sure you get the room shaking volume you know you want all with a low price. They are usually pretty sensitive so you don't need much to power them. My buddy had an old school pioneer stereo powering a couple old and really shitty speakers and they still sounded great.

Seriously man, dont waste your money on newish speakers hooked up to only 25w. They have to be really sensitive to make any appreciable noise. Not to mention all those speakers will have a huge lack of bass frequency response.
 
I recommend the Insignia's from BB for the best value, which SysteX posted about. Lots of great reviews, and only $42.49 + tax new with their current sale (if you order online and pick up in the store). Their sensitivity is rated at 90 dB, so they should be fairly easy to drive. I have a 50 wpc receiver from HK (DPR 1001) that gets them decently loud in my 12'x15' room when I have it set to -20 dB. I've never had to go louder than this for music.

They are only 13-14" tall, I just measured. Also they look very nice with their shiny black front (the BB pictures don't do them justice).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...shelf&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1138085354138
 
why not look on ebay for a pair of B&W bookshelfs, or wharfedale... you can get an awesome deal. Try Paradigm and PSB as well, equally good deals
 
I have some KEF Qcompacts that sound good... believe retail was $160-180 range, maybe Q1... both sounded good to me. (not overly bassy, they made good rear channels.)
www.kef.com
I'd atleast go to a few stores and find a brand that has a sound you like, accross a few different speakers. Kinda hard to pick w/o a demo.
 
strikeout said:
no bose, do a search. Not alot of big fans of bose around here.



:rolleyes:



The 301s and the 201s are probably the best speakers Bose have ever made, aside from the 601s and the 901s - the 901s are now discontinued.



301s are alot more bass heavy than the 201s, and sound pretty damn decent. If I were to choose, I'd pick the 301's over the JBL E30. I haven't heard the JBL 2500's, but from what I hear from other people, they are pretty decent.


Go to Best Buy and listen to the 301s and then the 50 dollar pair of Insignias, and see which one you like better. Obviously the Insignias have a better price point but it's all a matter of personal preference.


BTW, if you choose to go with the Bose 301s, dont get them from a store, buy them online.
 
Back
Top