Which are the best 2.1 speakers available in BLACK?

PinchyCM said:
if you knew anything about audio, wattage is no way to measure about anthing. :eek:

I never said wattage is a measure of sound quality or whatever. I said bookshelf speakers are better value compared to the Klipsch 2.0.

30 watts into my ELT LRS speakers is enough to make me want to leave my room. For nearfield listening, wattage is really not important.

ycchan said:
I never said wattage is a measure of sound quality or whatever. I said bookshelf speakers are better value compared to the Klipsch 2.0.

well, that was definitely inferred, intentional or not. either way, a good set of bookshelves are a few hundred dollars. add a reciever, and optical cables, and you easily have 5x the price of a set of pm2.0s.

PinchyCM said:
well, that was definitely inferred, intentional or not. either way, a good set of bookshelves are a few hundred dollars. add a reciever, and optical cables, and you easily have 5x the price of a set of pm2.0s.

Double the price I'd say, for a decent pair of bookshelves, and perhaps a used stereo.

GodsMadClown said:
30 watts into my ELT LRS speakers is enough to make me want to leave my room. For nearfield listening, wattage is really not important.

It isn't enough if you plan to go deaf... which i think that some people are actually interested in doing, judging by how loud some people want to play their music.

How about Cambridge Soundworks PC Works? They sell completely refurbished units(everything as new) for 24.99 with free shipping.You can get one in black or white at www.bestspeakerdeals.com I own 2 pair and everyone in my family has a pair for their computers.My nephew uses a pair for his mp3 player and they rock.

EDIT: Looks like they are sold-out on the refurbed units, but they have them brand new for 39.99 and if you use the coupon code 15offspkr you get and additional 6.00 off making the total 33.00 free shipping still applies www.cambridgesoundworks.com

I am gonna hvae to vote for the Klipsch 2.1's I have the 4.1 set up and it is simply the clearest and well rounded computer sound system that I have heard....you know what you must do...

Here's a head-up on what seems to be a decent deal on a pair of (black) passive studio monitors... I know nothing about them and have not heard them, but they seem to my casual glance to be a decent deal...

Go to Accessories4less.com, search for "FOS-FA51.0/PR" or "FOS-FA61.0/PR". They are $180 and $200/pair, respectively. The FA5 seems to be the Fosgate analogs of the "Hafler M5 Two-Way Closefield Monitors", and the FA6 is supposedly similar, with a larger woofer. Obviosly, for $20 extra, I'd go for the larger woofer. Both companies are under the same parent organization.

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FA51_0.asp

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FA61_0.asp

Reviews of their studio counterparts are ...

http://www.hafler.com/reviews/reviews_detail.asp?ArticleID=2

http://www.hafler.com/reviews/reviews_detail.asp?ArticleID=1

These are hosted on the hafler website, so it would be worthwhile to go look for others if you are interested.

What makes the deal even more hot is this promotion for %20 off all speakers that I got in my e-mail today...
Company Logo here

Hello Electronics Fan,

It's March Madness month at Accessories4less.com...we are giving you, our preferred customers, the chance to save 20% off all speakers in stock! Some brands also include FREE UPS ground shipping too! Accessories4less features some of the best brands; Mordaunt Short, NHT, Fosgate Audionics, Canton, and more! We have speakers in every category; Subwoofers, In-wall speakers, Surround/rear speakers, Center channel, Towers, Bookshelf, Outdoor...every type and brand of speakers we sell is reduced 20% off our everyday low price! Please feel free to share this coupon with a friend or relative too!

Call Today to order 800-657-0195 or online www.accessories4less.com

*You must first log into your account with your email address and password before applying the coupon to your order. The code that is required is; MARCHMADNESS . Coupon will expire on 3/31/05 and can not be combined. With any other offer.

*All prices, discounts, and coupons are subject to change without notice. Stock limited and may sell out quickly. May not be used with prior purchases, open box, or demos.

$144 or $160 before shipping for the small and large woofer version,s respectively.

p.s. I apologize in advance for their hardcore website suckage

p.p.s. You also might want to toss on a few of their decent deals on interconnects while you're paying for shipping (~$20). Of particular note are $5 3' RCA ("ATS-SAC3"), $7 subwoofer cables (like "ATS-GACT20S" but there are several in the 17-20' range), $9 3' component video cables ("IXOS-1531-100"), and a $5 coax digital cable ("REC-ADC501").

Cambridge audio is Garbridge audio. The HK's are actually good, even with that funky looking clear design. I wouldn't buy fosgate anything either, if thats the same fosgate as in rockford fosgate.

rather than spend 150 on something these speakers http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r21258.htm EV SONIC XS 2.1 really do kick it. I got them for 50 bucks at compusa a while back.

here's the specs:
drivers(per satellite); one 4", magnetically shielded woofer and one 1" horn tweeter
Driver (subwoofer): One 6" long throw
freq. response: 45hz to 20khz
60 watts per channel with 1%thd@1khz (30watts RMS)
sub: 125watts with 1% thd@50hz (60watts rms)
sound pressure leve: 105db SPL @1 meter, 1khz, 1%thd

they are quite large but for $50 from $200 i think thats pretty good, plus its EV the company that makes all the speakers for concert halls, and the like.

http://www.reztek.com/xs24rev.php <--better review
http://cat559928.electronics.24bestbuy.com/itemB00006HXMK/HARDCORE_POWERED_MULTIMEDIA.html
rather these speakers are not widely owned since they are under the radar, but just take a look at it, test it out at least. you will not find a better 2.1. you can literally here the vibration of the bass when these things are cranking.

what bout this

HTML:
http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=CyG2SrzpMJpdqGR2PjQQhQK1Jy8P1WGGCcy51mYLwK2Whm6WVBjh!-2040064277!578602458?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=companion3_computer_index&pageName=/home_entertainment/computer_gaming/index.jsp

EchoMatrix said:
what bout this

HTML:
http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=CyG2SrzpMJpdqGR2PjQQhQK1Jy8P1WGGCcy51mYLwK2Whm6WVBjh!-2040064277!578602458?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=companion3_computer_index&pageName=/home_entertainment/computer_gaming/index.jsp

that bose post made me throw up a little in my mouth..

EchoMatrix said:
what bout this

HTML:

Bose is not exactly known for their great sound quality. They market products mostly towards trendy-type people who care more for design aesthetic than sound. Their speakers are generally overpriced and under-powered, and they have a disturbing trend of not publishing any specs of any sort for their products. Note how their speakers don't even include a tweeter, and have plastic enclosures. For that price, one would be better served with a pair of bookshelves and a used receiver.

Am I the only one who thinks that shopping for speakers based entirely on their color and their accsesories is ridiculous?

Edit: I just saw that someone recommended Bose. ??? What are you smoking?

Bose LICKS balls, it sounds like crap, for the price you pay you would expect it you play any anything with a flat frequency respons, this is not the case, instead of having a flat response you are missing an entire freq range for most of their home theatres. the midrange for their systems is absolute junk. they dont even HAVE midrage

$@#%#$ $4000+ CDN for the hometheatre packages when 800 dollar ones sound better (onkyo comes to mind) you get absolute sh*t that was scraped up from the gutter, dont even concider bose.

Bose car audio.. worse than home audio. its a total joke.

2.1's at that price category lick balls. 2.1's that size in general lick balls. Event TR-5's which are close to that price, or other small monitors at about 200-250 are going to be better than separates and an amp at that price too.

Trying to follow a discussion where everyone states everything licks balls....licks balls :rolleyes:

The Klipsch promedia 2.1's are enough for small office and home use, but I would say that if nobody's around you, and if you turn them up, the sub's bass is a little lacking. Maybe it could be supplemented with the 8'' SWS subwoofer addon if possible. Otherwise at low to medium volume, its good, but if you blast it, the bass just won't keep up. The bass is there, but its sounds sloppy. Obviously the sub is only 6.5'', so I can't expect much... spend a little more if you want better, deeper bass.

Another thing I frowned on with these was the issue with moving the rear connecters on each speaker. If you move the minijack wire a bit, the sound will be cut off and you gotta tweak them in the right position to get them working again. Its not the biggest deal, but it can get annoying at some times.

I have found that the quality of Klipsch [computer] speakers aren't that great. However, I don't think this is unique, it's just a charateristic inherent in products of this price range and target audience. I've had 4 different sets of Klipsch's between my brother and I, and 3 have had problems.

Klipsch is a good starter set. Before you know it, you will end up craving something better, then you realize that you just hit what is pretty much the limit for multimedia speakers... and you upgrade to real speakers.

You will follow the same route as I did, if you care about audio.

I don't what the deal is with people getting all high and mighty about just how amazing their ability to distinguish sibilance and how 'present and warm' voices are, but don't listen to these condescending twits and listen to your own ears instead. A good piece of advice is to buy from a company who makes speakers - Klipsch are a good example. I bought a 2.1 pair of Boston Acoustics a few years back and while they won't disturb my neighbours, they sound clean and neutral - perfect for music and movies. From what I've heard of Logitech's at stores, the sats are great but the subs to tend to get a bit boomy. Still, that often depends on placements and room acoustics. So yeah, Klipsch away if you've got the dough.

MooCow said:
The Klipsch promedia 2.1's are enough for small office and home use, but I would say that if nobody's around you, and if you turn them up, the sub's bass is a little lacking. Maybe it could be supplemented with the 8'' SWS subwoofer addon if possible. Otherwise at low to medium volume, its good, but if you blast it, the bass just won't keep up. The bass is there, but its sounds sloppy. Obviously the sub is only 6.5'', so I can't expect much... spend a little more if you want better, deeper bass.

Another thing I frowned on with these was the issue with moving the rear connecters on each speaker. If you move the minijack wire a bit, the sound will be cut off and you gotta tweak them in the right position to get them working again. Its not the biggest deal, but it can get annoying at some times.

I'm not sure how you would define as "lacking bass", but the pm2.1 is probably the bassier of the 2.1 MM sets. take a look at the altec lanscing mx5021 as well, it's a superb mm option. the sws would would be a fine addition - but they're really hard to come by these days. they go for aboug 200-225+ shipping on ebay and in f/s threads. if you're willing to pay for it, it's a great addition to any system. (i have one, let me know if ya want it, hehe).

anyways, off to spring break for me!

navsimpson said:
I don't what the deal is with people getting all high and mighty about just how amazing their ability to distinguish sibilance and how 'present and warm' voices are

Wow, 2nd post and already feisty.

I have Klipsch's Promedia 2.1's and they rock hard!!! Er, I mean [H]ard!!! Bar none the best 2.1 speakers I've ever heard. I do listent to other 2.1's whenever I get the chance, and have never heard any that sounded better. In fact they blow Bose's $249 2.1 system out of the water! You may even be able to find refurbished speakers at www.klipsch.com. I got some refurb 5.1 GMX's for $124.xx with shipping for a friend of mine and he loves them!

navsimpson said:
I don't what the deal is with people getting all high and mighty about just how amazing their ability to distinguish sibilance and how 'present and warm' voices are, but don't listen to these condescending twits and listen to your own ears instead. A good piece of advice is to buy from a company who makes speakers - Klipsch are a good example. I bought a 2.1 pair of Boston Acoustics a few years back and while they won't disturb my neighbours, they sound clean and neutral - perfect for music and movies. From what I've heard of Logitech's at stores, the sats are great but the subs to tend to get a bit boomy. Still, that often depends on placements and room acoustics. So yeah, Klipsch away if you've got the dough.

I don't think that anyone is trying to be condescending, we are simply giving people other options. If somebody was interested in video compression and everyone was recommending Athlon 64's, somebody chiming in to recommend a p4 wouldn't be simply being a jerk, they are simply better. Obviously, not everyon have huge piles of money to spend on audio gear, and that's totally fine. However, most people haven't even considered going for bookshelf speakers and a receiver, and it's a perfectly viable route, even in the 250$ price range.

Pinipig523 said:
Klipsch is a good starter set. Before you know it, you will end up craving something better, then you realize that you just hit what is pretty much the limit for multimedia speakers... and you upgrade to real speakers.

Yeah... exactly... I'm already wanting a new amp for my car sub :)

MooCow said:

I mean wow, the promedia 2.1 really pump it out, and you still find them lacking? jezzz. I know they are not a full blown out home system, but for computer speakers they put out the sound. how big of room you in anyways?

Pinipig523 said:

Yeah, i used to have the klipsch ultras, until i upgraded to what i have in my signature. it took exactly 1 month from the time i got the klipsch until the time i craved more.

Subjective critique from listening to both sets @ work & home:

Logitech Z-2300's: Muddy mid's & diminished high's due to a single driver. Better bass response than Klipsch due to larger subwoofer driver. Volume control was smooth & equally adjustable across the entire spectrum. Simple connections to the subwoofer (RCA jacks).

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's: Better mid's & high's thanks to Klipsch's MicroTractrix Horn design implementation of a seperate tweeter. Bass response lacks @ higher volumes, but keeps up at mid & low volumes. The punch just doesn't seem to be there to keep up with the volume being output by the satellites, but only at higher volumes.

Again, subjective, but it's been the pro's & cons of both sets as I have seen during the time I used them.

Personally, I've got a set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's (not the V2-400's, but 2nd generation ones) that I've had to replace once due to a faulty BASH amplifier in the sub that induced a nasty crackle & hiss anytime I used them. I love these speakers to death, however the next step up is the replacement of the entire system with a receiver and a proper 5.1 or 7.1 system that's not made by Bose.

If that appeals to you, the investment in a mid-range set of bookshelf speakers & a mid-range receiver will make a great foundation for a system from which to expand upon at a later date.

Zardoz said:
I mean wow, the promedia 2.1 really pump it out, and you still find them lacking? jezzz. I know they are not a full blown out home system, but for computer speakers they put out the sound. how big of room you in anyways?
They still pump out good in low to medium volumes, but yeah, my criticism was a bit harsh cause I'm too used to cranking it to near max in my car :) A 12'' in a ported box is a completely different story heh. But what I am saying what I would really like is a sub that can produce even lower frequencies even at medium volume. Which is why the logitechs can probably do that due to an 8'' sub...

I am crazy.

I bought the paradigm atoms and that sonic impact t-amp as the ultimate budget soundsystem for personal listening in a bedroom.

I also have the klipsch 2.1

When I first listened to klipsch 2.1, I was like "wow."

I am not impressed at all with the atoms or the sonic impact t-amp. Sounds smooth but the singer's voice and everything seems muffled, distant, like it's not busting through.

Klipsch 2.1's make everything so crystal clear as a bell.

I am keeping Klipsch 2.1, weird, I know, but I just don't think the atoms are better.

The best speakers I have ever heard are B&W nautilus 800 series, like $2500 per pair? THAT was flat out awesome, and while the Klipsch won't be accused of that sound, it's FAR closer to me than the paradigm atoms.

What is wrong with me? What am I doing wrong?

With headphones, I loved the Grado sr-225. Bought Sennheiser hd-650 on faith that it was that awesome, and it too sounded veiled, muffled, subdued, and the singer's voice was distant.

The emu-0404 soundcard was a NICE upgrade. Everything sounded much, much better.

So some things I can tell the difference, but not with speakers. Why? Do I just have weird tastes?

pufftissue said:
I am crazy.
Why? Do I just have weird tastes?

Sounds to me that you are just a fan of brighter speakers. If you like Klipsch, B&W, and Grado, that pretty much seals the deal =] All are known for a very forward presentation. Some people are a big fan of that, such as you. Others can't seem to stand to listen to them for more than 5 minutes. I like slightly bright speakers, but I guess I'd prefer something a little bit more laidback than Grado or Klipsch myself, but it's all personal opinion. After all, if nobody liked those speakers/cans, they certainly wouldn't still be in business!

I would be inclined to think that is has more to do with the choise of amp there then the speakers.
I am not a fan of those T class amps at all

that t-amp probably isn't doing those atoms justice. the atoms are so much better than the klipsch sats it's not even funny. this is comin' from a guy who owns them. :) wait, no the titans. but same diff....RITE? RITE?

Well thank you guys. I guess I now know the type of sound that I like: forward & bright.
I can sense the atoms are probably a nice piece of work. BUT, are they bright and forward? I keep hearing the atoms are so much better than the klipsch 2.1 and really anything in the $200 bookshelf speaker range. So what should I do? Get a new amp? Will that make the atoms sound bright and forward?

Thank you very much. I just want the best bang for the buck system out there that is "forward and bright sounding", which until now I thought were Atoms and T-amp.....Suggestions would be appreciated.

Actually I'd better not hi-jack this thread....I will ask it in a separate one.

MooCow said:

Thats not true if you changed the sub driver to a JL 6W0 ;) :D

Back