Which agp card?

Johnnygs

n00b
Thinking of upgrading my 9700 Pro AIW card in my P4 rig (3.0 [email protected])

The Question is what? Would a 800xt aiw be a big improvement? Is a 800gto agp modable? I want to build a new AMD rig to replace my socket a box (xp2400m @2.4) but it is not in the budget right now and probably waiting for socket M2 anyway since it is so close.

So many ATI choices or a 6800GT or 6800nu and unlock pipes?WTF? I have a Winfast xp2000 tv card (sux) I could use if I don't go with the AIW.

What do you think?

Noobie posting to this forum, but been an avid [H] reader for 4 years.

Thankx

X800 XT AIW would be your best bet. However if you are looking for a stop gap arrangement, a 6600GT retailing below 150$ is a good deal too...

wait till a good card like the x800gto or the X800 XT AIW is availble at a really good price (like $150 or less) and it won't really matter that much if it is moddable cause the card is already a big improvement over your 9700

I wouldn't get the 6600gt cause it seems like you would only notice the differences in opengl games

Since both ATI and Nvidia have seemingly abandoned agp, IMO, prices may not drop that much, for awhile atleast, and availability for an agp x800/850 or agp 6800 series cards is prolly only going to go down from here on out as the mfgs. move more and more over to pci-e.. People seem to forget just how many high end agp systems there are still out there.. Systems that can still run the fastest cpus available..

If I were in your situation, if I intended to keep that rig for another 1.5 to 2 years, I would buy a X850 or 6800 series agp card sooner rather than later.. If you intend to only keep it a year or less a 6600gt would be a good, nicely priced, stopgap, as needmorecarnitine already stated, to get you through to your next big upgrade..

Thanks for helping me make up my mind... It's what I was thinking, just needed a little nudge.

Bought a x800xt aiw off the forums... can't wait for it to arrive and see if it'll OC and Fire up Q4! oh ya, probably have to look for a new cooler too :eek:

Damn, I'm too late, shame though, I was reading this and about to ask you what game/games you want to run. I was afraid you were gonna say something like Quake 4. I was gonna suggest a 6800GT OC. It would run quake 4 better. :confused:

Lord_Exodia said:
Damn, I'm too late, shame though, I was reading this and about to ask you what game/games you want to run. I was afraid you were gonna say something like Quake 4. I was gonna suggest a 6800GT OC. It would run quake 4 better. :confused:

meh....i wouldn't worry about that too much. yeah, the nVidia will run Q4 a bit better, but not really enough to worry about. the x800xt will be just fine. i have an old GeForce FX 5900Ultra that gets fairly playable framerates in Q4 (1280x1024, my LCD's native res.), so an x800xt will be just fine.

and the ATI card has HDTV outputs (which may not be important to some, but it is to me)

I'm not sure what you should buy, but don't get a 6600GT. I don't think the difference between a 9700pro and a 6600GT will be significant enough to justify purchasing a new card....

heliotrope said:
I'm not sure what you should buy, but don't get a 6600GT. I don't think the difference between a 9700pro and a 6600GT will be significant enough to justify purchasing a new card....

unless i'm mistaken, a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (which is what i have) > 9700pro (i think the 9800pro is more in line with the GF5900U), and we all know a 6600GT > GF5900U so therefore:

6600GT > GF5900U > 9700pro

if that holds true, then i don't see why it wouldn't be a "worthy" upgrade.....but then again, it's up to each person to decide what's "worthy", and what's not.....

the way i see it, is that if someone was wanting to upgrade to be able to play badass games for the next year or two, then no, it would not be a worthy upgrade. but in this case, seeing as how his only goal is to tide him over until he upgrades his whole system, i don't see why it wouldn't be........

but having said all that, i'd still personally go with an x800- or x850-flavored card (GTO/XL/XT) on the ATI side, or a 6800 nu/gt on the nVidia front.

and one other point to make to the OP: if i were you, i'd stop buying the AIW cards, even if you use the TV Tuner/Time Shifting functions a lot....instead, i'd purchase a seperate TV Tuner/Time Shifting card, then buy a seperate video card. this way, when it comes time to upgrade your video card again, you don't have to buy that TV Tuner all over again. not to mention, seperate components that are dedicated to doing one (or just a few) things generally tend to do their job better than an All-In-One solution, and if any one part of an A-I-O solution breaks, you often have to replace the whole thing.........

is it worth the upgrade for 100$ to get a small increase in frames.. thast the question

He said 6800, not 6600. IMO, going from a 9x00 series card to a 6800 GT is well worth it. I made the jump last year.

I have been quite impressed by my jump from a 9700Pro to a X800XL. The X800XL delivers 1280x1024x32 w/ high Iq much more consistently and in mnay more games than the 9700 did.

Well I got me an X800XT AIW at CompUSSR last night (I know retail $, but meh..) and swapped out my good'ole 9800Pro, and my 3Dmark05 score went up from ~2700 to 5800+.. I was gonna get the X850XT but it was sold out everywhere I went, and after seeing some benches out there I realized I can get 800xt, OC it and get the same performance as 850XT AND still have all the toys you get with AIW...
BTW, I saw newegg had x800xt-AIW for $306 last night...
Either way, AGP still has some life in it and this card should last you a while.

Mike S.

DougLite said:
I have been quite impressed by my jump from a 9700Pro to a X800XL. The X800XL delivers 1280x1024x32 w/ high Iq much more consistently and in mnay more games than the 9700 did.
AMEN, I love my x800xl, runs everything awesome.

I think the 6800GT would have made him happier overall. he can get it for roughly the same price and it's more suited for what he's doing. That's all I was saying. Either card will make him happier, but GT would probably have been better suited for Quake 4.

and one other point to make to the OP: if i were you, i'd stop buying the AIW cards, even if you use the TV Tuner/Time Shifting functions a lot....instead, i'd purchase a seperate TV Tuner/Time Shifting card, then buy a seperate video card. this way, when it comes time to upgrade your video card again, you don't have to buy that TV Tuner all over again. not to mention, seperate components that are dedicated to doing one (or just a few) things generally tend to do their job better than an All-In-One solution, and if any one part of an A-I-O solution breaks, you often have to replace the whole thing.........

Not in this case, an AIW X800XT is cheaper then the normal X800XT hence a better buy, in any case a much better option would be to wait and upgrade to PCIE the 7800 GT at 320$ gives a much better performance....

Ok hold up, from what I'm getting is the X800 series is better than the 6800 series? So should I get a X800 GTO instead of a 6800 OC? Both are about the same price and I found a GTO for $200. I guess the GTO would be better because it does come with 256mb instead of the 6800 OC that has 128. So what is better in the end?

ricetek said:
is it worth the upgrade for 100$ to get a small increase in frames.. thast the question

thats right

I play mostly Enemy Territory and my lcd is 1280x768 so my 9800Pro can handle that well. I just started trying it with 6X AA and 16X AF and it still runs well in lots of spots but gets down to about the low 20s in some others. So I don't think newer cards would be worth the $100 or so for really good fps (I can probaly turn down the aa somewhat and get better than I am getting now)

but I like FarCry also and there will probably be new games that I will like that stress it so I'm thinking maybe wait up to six months or so for an upgrade...

Back