which access point to use?

bob

2[H]4U
Im tired of connecting to my ISP with a tin can and an 802.11b/g network card. I have to be near a wall, adjust the thing constantly, and hope that nothing is in my way.

I want to get an access point. Toss it in a plastic box, put in a real directional antenna, then run ethernet cable wherever.

My isp basically has a few fancy access point made by proxim, sitting on their roof, with a few parabolic dishes. Its 802.11b, they use mac adress filtering, nothing special. Anyone with ANY kind of 802.11b device can connect to it, just cant get internet. So I wont need any special router.

I need an access point that will always connect to the isp's AP and not anything else. Windows , using my PCI card, seems to try and connect to anything and everything. I want it to always connect to the one AP. It also needs to work with a static IP that I set.

I see some access points on ebay for cheap. Im looking to spend about $50.00, no more. What AP should I be looking for?

A few AP's I found on ebay:

Proxim Wavelan

WAP11

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
AP won't connect to their AP's. Even something like a linksys AP that does have a workgroup bridge mode would not likely associate to thier hardware. Bridging and workgroup bridging isn't part of any Wi-Fi certification. You could talk to them about getting a proxim bridge that will work. As far as an IP, that's not relevant except for configuation. You just want it to bridge anyway so the data will be passed on transparently. IP's don't play a role in that. I'd talk to your ISP and see what they recommend. Getting a real antenna, a decent yagi with a narrow beamwidth pointed at their antenna infrastructure. I'd have to see their setup but something is odd if they are actually using dishes. They typically would use omni's not directionals when broadcasting to a wide area base.

an access point/router that they recommended is $180.00.

If its going to cost this much, I will just buy a second computer and stick it outside.

Wouldn't be an access point or a router. If it is a proxim product it is a workgroup bridge or a dedicated bridge. From that quote I'd guess workgroup bridge. I'd need more information about what hardware they're using to say with 100% certainty but it's fairly likely what they are suggesting is your only option short of getting a real antenna. I'd probably opt for that choice in the first place. Get a decent yagi.

Netstumbler says Proxim Orinoco "AP". I googled it, and its a fancy high dollar AP that looks more like a desktop pc.

See, for 180$ I could buy one of those Mini-Itx boards, stick my 802.11b card on it, seal it all up and be done with it, and have a much more configurable AP.

Proxim's Orinoco

The rangelan2 on ebay is about as cheap as its going to get for something by proxim.

I'm fully aware of Proxim's product line, trust me. The device you hit may be an AP. You wouldn't in turn buy an AP to associate to it. It would be a bridge, a workgroup bridge to be precise.

I am in the same situation as you. My ISP has there equipment on the water tower in my town. I went through the same situation trying to find a good way to connect. What i ended up getting was a 15db antenna and a senao 2611 cb3. This bridge is great easy to configure and works awesome. You can find them on ebay for about 100 dollars. I have mine mounted to the side of my house with ethernet running to my basement and into my router, then to my switch.

Something to consider with that solution. It may not work. Bridging does not have to adhere to any Wi-Fi certification/compatibility standard. Might associate, might not. Could be a 100 dollar mistake getting it off Ebay. Not saying it definitely won't work, just saying there is no guarantee and the likelihood is actually probably below 50%.

This guy needs to bridge however. AP mode would do him no good in the scenario as presented.

Hmm. Well, I found a PII-400 in a dumpster, with 2 pci slots. I threw out the case. If I can figure out how to install a driver under linux, I might try this thing.

Where my computer will be moved to, it wouldnt matter what kind of antenna I will have. I would have to run about 60 feet of antenna cable to get the antenna high enough to clear the trees.

I will keep looking on ebay for workgroup bridges, and keep messing with this crappy dell. One way or another, im getting internet.

60 foot of cable would require VERY expensive cable. LMR-600 from Times Microwave. 60 foot of 600 with connectors would be in the hundreds of dollars possibly, depending on the vendor you deal with. Couple of hundred bucks easily. Then you need the lightening arrestor with pigtail and so on. What your suggesting cannot be done correctly, cheaply.

ktwebb said:
60 foot of cable would require VERY expensive cable. LMR-600 from Times Microwave. 60 foot of 600 with connectors would be in the hundreds of dollars possibly, depending on the vendor you deal with. Couple of hundred bucks easily. Then you need the lightening arrestor with pigtail and so on. What your suggesting cannot be done correctly, cheaply.

I wasnt suggesting anything, aside from me not being able to simply use a better antenna. This is why I need either a second computer stuck somewhere, or a workgroup bridge. Then, I could run ethernet cable for as long as I like.

Back