• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

which 9800 pros can u mod to xt's?

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,650
which versions of the 9800 pros are the kind you can mod to xt's? im going to get one soon and want to at least have a shot at it.
 
The first requirement is that you must have 256mb 9800 Pro.

A 128mb 9800 Pro can NEVER be flashed to have 256mb !! :D
 
Yeah. Only way is to get the $249 Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card. It's the only one that flashes to be an XT.

You can do the trade up program with ATI and get the card for that price ($249) if you have a cheap older ATI card. I'll be doing the 9800 Pro 256MB trade up with my Radeon 7500 that I got for $10.

Unless I find a better deal somewhere else which might very well be the case.
 
my only problem is that about $400 is my limit for my new vid card, a 160 gb sata hdd, and a new mobo. and i promised my radeon 7000 to someone already when i got a new one :( so i cant trade it in. so my max range for a vid card will be somewhere from $215-$225, depending on which mobo i get.
 
Then you're looking at a 9800 Pro 128mb if that's the case. Because Newegg sells their 9800 256MB card for $266 Retail.
 
yea i was basically wondering if you could mod a 9800 pro with 128mb ram into an xt. since you cant do that, whats the best brand? sorry to be noobish :p
 
yes u can if your 9800 pro 128mb card has the r360 core.
The only way to positivly identify it is by taking off the heatsinkandfan and looking at the core numbers.

and you would need better cooling that just stock.
best brand would be built by ati.. or just by sapphire their preety much teh same jsut becareful dont buy the 128bit memory bandwidth version.. buy the 256 bit
 
Thermite Paste said:
which versions of the 9800 pros are the kind you can mod to xt's? im going to get one soon and want to at least have a shot at it.

Just about all the Sapphire 9800's and MSI 9800's have the R360 core nowadays. Both can be bought at newegg for under $200. If you get the MSI, do not attempt to flash it with any XT BIOS, it will already be identified by Windows as an XT with the new Catalyst drivers.
 
Ok, technically YES you can mod a 9800 to have XT speeds. But like what was mentioned, you won't have the extra 128MB of ram to make 256MB.

You'd probably need to get the VGA silencer from Newegg to keep the heat down when you flash the bios.

I just purchased one to have around should I get the 256MB model and go XT with it. Or just to have around anyways.
 
ShepsCrook said:
Ok, technically YES you can mod a 9800 to have XT speeds. But like what was mentioned, you won't have the extra 128MB of ram to make 256MB.

You'd probably need to get the VGA silencer from Newegg to keep the heat down when you flash the bios.

I just purchased one to have around should I get the 256MB model and go XT with it. Or just to have around anyways.
256MB of RAM has a negative impact anyway, so it would be a ridiculous waste of money. They go for about the same price as the XTs anyway!
 
Ati sells their XTs at like $400 whereas their 256MB models go for $249
 
Thermite Paste said:
my only problem is that about $400 is my limit for my new vid card, a 160 gb sata hdd, and a new mobo. and i promised my radeon 7000 to someone already when i got a new one :( so i cant trade it in. so my max range for a vid card will be somewhere from $215-$225, depending on which mobo i get.

Like on of the other posters said you can modify the 9800pro if it has the 360 chipset. Here is a link to how to do it. The part for your question is at the end of the write up. It has pictures of the cards that can upgraded.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0
 
ok thanks guys ill probably order a sapphire radeon 9800 pro for $211 from newegg later tonite.
 
and if you're an unlucky bastard like me stuck with the r350... let's just hope it overclocks well... :)
 
ShepsCrook, that is the oem version, i want all the cables and cd's that come with it. that is the exact product im looking at to buy though.
 
Thermite Paste said:
ShepsCrook, that is the oem version, i want all the cables and cd's that come with it. that is the exact product im looking at to buy though.

ya don't need the cables. and you wont' be using the cd drivers (if you're [H] anyways) when i got mine it was very spare, (not even in it's own box, just wrapped in bubble wrap... lots and lots of bubble wrap)
 
Thermite Paste said:
i want teh box so i can frame it and mount it up on my wall :D


if that's the case. come into my store. we're having a 25% off coupon for custom framing!

<--- works at a framing store.
 
Ok, I was just posting it to save you some cash. I figured since you were going to be trying to overclock it. You wouldn't need all the fluff that comes with it.
 
Saphire 9800pro's with the heatpipes on them have the r360 core and the hynix(or something like that) memory. Or atleast the one i ordered off newegg did and it flashed to an XT flawlessly... put out alot more heat though. Only disappointment was it doesn't have the temp diode... :/
 
Where can I check the temps for video cards? I have a 9800pro 128mb that I am going to flash. I want to do a before and after temp comparison...
 
I have good news and bad news...

Bad news - I have a R350.

Good news - I found out that ATITool tells you what chip type you have, and unfortunately it told me I had a R350.


Conclusion - I think this is the easiest way to find out your chip type instead of removing your HS and such...

My card was a retail Sapphire 128mb with Hynix memory BTW...
 
Hi,
I'm planning to get an HIS Radeon 9800PRO 128 MB DDR IceQ Platinum, but I've also been reading Rojak's article (great work btw) and I was wondering, since R360 cores are needed in order to flash the 9800Pro to an XT and the videocard comes with an R360 Core, and it is successfully flashed into a 9800XT. If the temperature diode isnt enabled, is it because the card manufactured (MSI, HIS, etc.) didnt implement it, or is because of the Bios applied? Sorry I'm not accustomed to flashing the bios on video cards...
Also speaking of the IceQ is it possible to flash it successfully with all the features (I couldnt find the right reference picture on Rojak's article), it already has one of those Arctic Cooling VGA Coolers so I'm betting HIS wanted their customers to experiment...

Thanks

Nick
 
Back
Top