Which 6800 GT?

exilio

n00b
Hey all,

I am looking at replacing my 9800 pro w/ 128 for a new 6800 GT, but I am unsure as to what 3rd party to go with...there are so many and I don't know how to tell the diff. Is there a diff?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, I just ordered a Leadtek. It has the best stock cooler, but it doesnt come with much, Prince of Pursia and Splinter Cell. But thats ok cause I have Doom III sitting right here. So I would say get the leadtek, it has the best cooler, but not so good software. What more important to you? And mine was $416 shipped.

I have a PNY 6800GT and it runs like a champ. 401/1100 and I can only tell a one degree temp difference from its stock settings. It only takes up one slot, so that's good. It IS a little loud. At least mine is, but I haven't heard any of the other brands, so me saying that means little without a point of reference. An Arctic Cooling Silencer would fix that anyways, though. ;)

I ordered Leadtek a400gt also. It has a better cooling quieter cooler than stock. Not sure about the new Gigabyte, although that looks like a good option also. Unfortunately, I just sold my 9700pro and have to use a radeon 7000 until my new card comes in. It's $389 shipped from gameve.com.

shakes head :rolleyes:

This gets asked almost every week.

but I like my BFG 6800GT OC, if that even helps...

I see those when I'm at Best Buy hehe...If I wasn't waiting 6 months to buy another video card, I'd probably go with one of those. High rated, and lotsa bang for the buck.

BFG 6800GT, they recently switched back to the reference cooler. Overclocked out of the box and lifetime warranty.

So it seems as though there is no CLEAR choice.

Personally, I don't care about Doom 3 or that I can OC.

I just want a great card, that is fast, reliable, and quiet.

If you DO NOT want to overclock, and want a quiet card, then the Leadtek Winfast 6800GT is exactly what you want...it runs a little warmer than the stock cooler does, but it does run MUCH more quiet...my GF3 is a winfast and it overclocks and runs solid, so that's what I would recommend :) I plan on going evga because i like to OC, but that's me.

So wait...the eVGA overclocks best? With stock cooling? Which overclocks best with stock cooling?

I am really interested in what cards are better for what. Like what is the quitest? overclocks best? etc.. I ma planning on buying a 6800GT and I am going to overclock it so I want something that will overclock realy good.

I have an XFX GT. Runs beautiful @ 455 / 1210 with the stock cooler and has dual dvi and came with doom3 :cool:

I love my card...at stock speeds it chews up and spits out DOOM]I[ @ 83FPS !!! I o/c'd it a tad and am now hitting a solid 93-95FPS. One thing though be shure you have a proc that can feed it!

I got my PNY 6800 GT @ 430/1.15 at Fry's 2 weeks ago. The better part of the deal was the $369 price.

For me, it's XFX vs. PNY vs. BFG vs. MSI.
Leadtek is out of the question...poor overclocker, lots of dust. Which is the best of these 4? I like the MSI--huge bundle, NICE COOLER, excellent overclocker, and my TI was an MSI. Ownly downside is it's over $400, seated at $405 at Game VE (w/ shipping).

However, reviews don't seem to be widely available.

I WANT THE BEST OVERCLOCKER!

What should I do?

Well, my XFXis an excellent overclocker and comes with dual dvi if thats any worth to you. Seen quite a few people get good results from xfx cards.

i've got a BFG (picked it up at best buy for a cool 400)

overclocks like mad... it also has 2 blue led lit fans... but u can't see those any way...

relatively quiet, i can't tell tho because i have a fan in my case that is a monster (loud)

cools good... i like my BFG...

but, if u own the card, obviously you'll like it, eh?

if u want convience go to Best Buy and pick up the BFG 6800 GT... oc'd out of the box too... no shipping charge either

it's a tad big tho.... but all of the 6800 GT's are :D

Overclocking isn't guarenteed at all...differs from card to card.

And if you get a card with nVidia's reference cooler (evga has reference) then all companies cards should be about the same...it's a shot in the dark reguardless. Customer support and the package contents are the only things that differ. The reason I said eVga for overclocking because the reference cooler runs COOLER than the leadtek cooler...leadtek's is more silent but runs warmer because of it.

Once again, overclocking is a shot in the dark....but a reference design is a good way to go...but I've heard promising things of the Gigabyte 6800GT which has a big ass heatsink with the fan on the oppisite side...check it out

Back