Which 5870

200mg

Limp Gawd
So, I talked my gf into dropping $400 on a 5870 for me. Looking at the asus and the xfx.

I have been brand loyal to evga for several years, but since they're not in the radeon market I am forced to look elsewhere.

I am leaning toward the xfx because I think I have heard they have a similar warranty/return policy to Evga's lifetime warranty. But on the other hand I have used Asus mobo's in the past and they have never failed me, however I have no personal experience with either of these brands for video cards.

These cards are identical, the only difference is the sticker on the cooler....Which would you guys go with...

Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=5870_cypress_xt-_-14-150-443-_-ProductAsus

or

XFX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=5870_cypress_xt-_-14-150-443-_-Product

TIA for any replies

I just installed an XFX 5870 today.

Works perfectly with my EVGA P55 motherboard and thr 10.1 hotfix drivers.

XFX. Better warranty support just in case anything goes wrong.

XFX. Better warranty support just in case anything goes wrong.

yeah...thats what I went with...they have double lifetime as long as you register the card...pretty cool

yeah i'd say xfx since its the same card as the asus with a lifetime warantee...

However, i'm a little sad that my experience may be to test that warantee as I just got my 8970 from newegg, and I cant get it to post at all...

might be testing that warantee tomorrow.

I have the XFX (two actually)...............advantage.......US based support, and "double lifetime" warranty as long as you register the product.
Which means, if you sell the card when you upgrade, the person you sell it to merely registers the card online and they also get the lifetime warranty.

Phone support is available or support tickets can be done online.

Downside............regardless of the vendor..........ATIs driver support is rough...........they insist on following a once per month release schedule (occassionally they release a 'hotfix") and can be forever addressing problems.
Foe instance, the 5870s were released in October and Crossfire support for EyeFinity is still MIA as is any bezel management.

You just have to suck it up when you get an ATI product...........unfortunately something nvidia does very well that ATI does not.

make sure and get one that has a co that will work with you on repairs.
A LOT of them are big rip offs.

This is not just ATI cards but any cards build by these co's. They will tell you they have to ship them
back to china or other bullshit and charge out the A for any so called warranty work.

make sure and get one that has a co that will work with you on repairs.
A LOT of them are big rip offs.

This is not just ATI cards but any cards build by these co's. They will tell you they have to ship them
back to china or other bullshit and charge out the A for any so called warranty work.

Sapphire has been notorious for this in the past, but now works with the original retailer instead of sending the card to Taiwan to be replaced.

Any US vendor is pretty safe.....XFX,VisionTek,and Diamond are all based in the US for warranty and support.

As I said above, I've used XFX for both nvidia and ATI and find their support to be quite good and responsive........unfortunately I've not seen any of these companies use cross-shipping or Trade-ups like evga or BFG.

Warranty length is one thing but the time and charges for their warranty is another.
Has anyone seen a compiled list of exactly what a co charges and how long it takes?
Some people (me) flame diamond as one to NEVER buy. But I have talked to a few that
said if you call and get someone to issue an RMA it cost $40 and 2 weeks min to get it back.
That to me is bs. So people if you are thinking of buying a card find someone that is fast and cheaper on warranty instead of saving $10 at the front end, and pray that you don't ever need the warranty.

Warranty length is one thing but the time and charges for their warranty is another.
Has anyone seen a compiled list of exactly what a co charges and how long it takes?
Some people (me) flame diamond as one to NEVER buy. But I have talked to a few that
said if you call and get someone to issue an RMA it cost $40 and 2 weeks min to get it back.
That to me is bs. So people if you are thinking of buying a card find someone that is fast and cheaper on warranty instead of saving $10 at the front end, and pray that you don't ever need the warranty.

Here's Diamond's warranty page......it says nothing about a fee for warranty work: http://www.diamondmm.com/warranty.php

RMA typically requires a person to pay for shipping to the RMA center, but if under warranty, that work should be covered unless the user damaged the card via an OC or third party heatsink or something not covered by warranty.

As I said, sometimes Sapphire charges for warranty work if you have to send a card back to Taiwan.....but that is generally a card that has gone beyond EOL.

i went with the Asus 5870. was $30 cheaper and looked nicer lol. asus has a 3yr warranty. i know xfx is supposed to have a lifetime warranty but been reading around apparently getting them to honour it is a pita, although im sure asus wouldnt be that much easier. alot of other manufacturers are only giving the standard ati 1 yr warranty which should be criminal in this day and age.

Here's Diamond's warranty page......it says nothing about a fee for warranty work: http://www.diamondmm.com/warranty.php

RMA typically requires a person to pay for shipping to the RMA center, but if under warranty, that work should be covered unless the user damaged the card via an OC or third party heatsink or something not covered by warranty.

As I said, sometimes Sapphire charges for warranty work if you have to send a card back to Taiwan.....but that is generally a card that has gone beyond EOL.

Do not I repeat DO NOT buy Diamond brand , they are horrible at support. First off my 4870X2 recently broke and I've been trying to get ahold of them for 2+ week straight , called everyday , put in 3 online tickets and 5 emails. I have gotten ZERO response back and basicly I'm screwed with a card that is under warranty. Diamond has basicly zero support staff and even there supposed online chat system has been down according to other posters for about the last 4 months. AVOID THIS BRAND.

After my card died I went with a XFX for 350 bucks at microcenter and love it (after I got the right driver install going) XFX has the best ATI branded warranty (only EVGA provide better video card warrant service). Again I say this to save you a huge possible headache AVOID DIAMOND branded products.

Edit : Glad you didn't buy Diamond , enjoy your new card.

i have to say asus.they seem to be putting together some nice cards.i run the 5850 and love it.and it seems like xfx is cheaping out on there cards.

MSI 5870 Lightning when it comes out

othl5e.jpg

signature.img

Last edited:
Sure then he can convince his girlfriend that he really does need a 100+ pound container of Liquid Nitro :p

Seriously though thats nuts.

Sure then he can convince his girlfriend that he really does need a 100+ pound container of Liquid Nitro

trust me the $400 took ALOT of talking...er..begging...lol..putting her tax refund to work for a truly worthy cause...60fps in BF:BC2

So, I talked my gf into dropping $400 on a 5870 for me. Looking at the asus and the xfx.

I have been brand loyal to evga for several years, but since they're not in the radeon market I am forced to look elsewhere.

I am leaning toward the xfx because I think I have heard they have a similar warranty/return policy to Evga's lifetime warranty. But on the other hand I have used Asus mobo's in the past and they have never failed me, however I have no personal experience with either of these brands for video cards.

These cards are identical, the only difference is the sticker on the cooler....Which would you guys go with...

Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=5870_cypress_xt-_-14-150-443-_-ProductAsus

or

XFX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=5870_cypress_xt-_-14-150-443-_-Product

TIA for any replies

The difference is not just the sticker on the cooler. It's the cooler itself. There's another XFX model with what I think is a superior cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476&cm_re=5870-_-14-150-476-_-Product

This is my own preference.

That's interesting, I haven't seen that one before. I like how they moved the connectors to the rear of the card. It makes for a cleaner looking install.

The airflow in the cooler is from back to front. Putting the connectors in the rear effectively blocks out one entire air input.....I can't see how that is a good thing???

The airflow in the cooler is from back to front. Putting the connectors in the rear effectively blocks out one entire air input.....I can't see how that is a good thing???

The airflow in that cooler is top to back and front, not back to front. The input is on top. Exhaust is both sides.

The difference is not just the sticker on the cooler. It's the cooler itself. There's another XFX model with what I think is a superior cooler.

I just meant spec wise they are the same, when I invest in high-end gfx cards I always put an aftermarket cooler on them, my current 8800gtx has a thermaltake duo-orb, and this 5870 is gonna get a Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro

i have both for my CF setup. i had to put the scythe scvsg-1000 on both of them because the stock coolers caused the top card to over heat due to insufficient air flow. both cards otherwise have never given me a spot of trouble. and the original xfx before all of the aftermarket cooling solutions, the ati coolers were the same. but if you're wanting to know who to go with it's a simple solution. XFX allows double lifetime, which is useless if you don't sell your cards. Asus has been manufacturing products for forever. look at the aftermarket cooling solutions and make sure where ever the power connectors are at allow proper room in your case lest you want to invest in a hack saw. the 5870s are exceptionally long cards. take this into consideration.

the 5870s are exceptionally long cards. take this into consideration.

Yeah, my 8800gtx is 10.6" and the 5870's are 11.1" I think my case (Antec P182) will be ok, i have removed the middle tray to allow for more room for the 8800gtx. I hadn't thought about the card power connector placement in relation to the AM cooler, may have to research that..

Back