Which 55" LED is better?

Neither. LED back-lighting is just a marketing gimmick....

Which is what most people don't understand. It is NOT and LED TV. The display is an LCD but the backlight is white LEDs - lots of them! The LEDs have a longer life and lower power (sort of) than the CCFL. If you want "LED", then you need to look at OLED, active matrix - and plan on spending lots and lots and lots of money for a so-so image.
 
Which is what most people don't understand. It is NOT and LED TV. The display is an LCD but the backlight is white LEDs - lots of them! The LEDs have a longer life and lower power (sort of) than the CCFL. If you want "LED", then you need to look at OLED, active matrix - and plan on spending lots and lots and lots of money for a so-so image.

Sorry for being a n00b, but what's the deal with plasma? Last time I looked into it (too long ago) there was burn in or what ever.
 
Read the review links I posted to find out what the "deal," with plasma is.
 
IIRC, plasma burn in is not as bad a problem as it used to be. You're only likely to get it gaming and it'll go away after a few days.
I'm pretty sure you don't want OLED, you won't get a 55" OLED screen. They might be released next year according to Google, but they will be very very expensive.
 
Sorry for being a n00b, but what's the deal with plasma? Last time I looked into it (too long ago) there was burn in or what ever.

No worries.. I work with display technology all day long. I giggle (as an engineer mind you) when someone wants an LED tv. They really don't exist ;)

From what I understand, today's plasma's really don't have the burn in issue as they once did. For larger displays, word on the street they are better. Listen to other's here - they know more about the actual TV's than I do, I just know the tech behind them.

OLEDs are expensive, and will be for a long time. They are really cool tech, if you are into that sort of thing. We work with OMOLEDs here at work - they are all small displays. Downside is "run time" at this point. OLED tech has com a long way in the past couple years, but the hours of life are still less than 10,000. We have a ways to go...
 
I love my panasonic plasma, best tv I've had so far. I also have an edge lit samsung (living room, wife wanted slender) and an older samsung lcd. Picture quality follows in that order (panasonic best). Plasma's seem to have the least ghosting, and look the best when on standard def. The edge lit is nice, but samsungs have some weird edge enhancements (yes you can turn it off in menus, still looks different than any other tv), i'd suggest you spend some time watching one before you buy.

LCD ghosts horribly, but looks the best in direct sunlight. Plasma's usually have the highest refresh rate, so they look great with action movies and sports. Best LED I ever saw was made by a company called NuVision. They took Samsung panels and redid all the electronics/scaler/video boards, etc. Amazing LED, unfortunately went bankrupt. They were almost as expensive as Runco tv's! Also pissed that Samsung dropped their back lit "LED" tv's, the 8500 series was actually pretty nice.

IMO... Buy a plasma for anything 46" and up. Get an edge lit if you're picky with aesthetics and don't mind the look of them. I'd avoid LCD's at this point, much better options. OLED is a future thing, saw the Sony and it was cool but 15" :p

p.s. Plasma's have had auto pixel shifting for quite some time. Burn in is NOT an issue anymore. Even if you left GTA on their for 3 days, they have burn in features designed to get rid of it. You can also set up timers to turn it off with no use after 3 hours, etc.
 
Thanks guys! Went ahead and got the Panasonic plasma, pretty good deal on Amazon for $1400.
 
Neither. LED back-lighting is just a marketing gimmick.

I think that's being overly dramatic.

Not saying that plasmas aren't the way to go right now, but your generalization makes it sound like anyone who purchases an LED backlit TV is getting an inferior product. High end local dimming LED backlit sets easily rival high end plasmas.

LED backlighting is just that - LED backlit. I don't understand how that's a marketing gimmick. People may misinterpret - but LED backlighting simply means it doesn't use older CCFL bulbs.

And the higher end LCDs are great. Full array, local dimming sets are amazing. Edge lit LCDs have the advantage of being extremely thin and light and low power.

There are tradeoffs between both plasma and LCD technologies and there isn't a need to completely disregard one or the other at the current point in time.
 
Last edited:
the UN55D8000 HANDS DOWN! It's the best looking and aesthetically pleasing tv out today.

I went through this, when I was buying my tv... plasmas have more realistic color reproduction. BUT they're half as bright, and colors are less vibrant, partly due to the brightness.
You shouldn't have a problem finding both of these tvs in a store. Don't take my word for it.

I play mostly video games, and watch blurays, and honestly plasma's didn't impress me.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top