Which 30" Monitor ?

cugine

Weaksauce
Hi,

It was my birthday yesterday and I'm going to buy myself a new monitor. I'm a gamer and I want the best possible monitor I can buy strictly for gaming purposes. Also, money is not a concern. I care *most* about picture quality.

I have seen 30"'s out there from a few brands:

- Dell
* UltraSharp 3008WFP

- EIZO
* FlexScan SX3031W

- HP
* LP 3065

- Samsung
* SyncMaster 305T

I'm leaning towards the Dell however, the EIZO seems to have my attention. I'm sure there are others that I am missing from my list. Feel free to point them out if they are worthy.

Thanks,
cugine

Dell 3008WFP
8ms G2G
30"WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM300WQ5)

Eizo SX3031W
6ms G2G
30"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM300M1)

The HP has a
30 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-IPS panel, from LG Phillips I don't have the model number sadly

I don't have anything on the Samsung SyncMaster 305T

I can't recommend my LP3065 enough. Though the Dell is a great choice too if you don't need the 3 dvi-d inputs of the HP

My advice: go see some 30s in store and try them out if you can

if the Eizo is in your price range why not also take a look at the NEC 3090WQXi?

I'm using 2 x Samsung 305T+. It's very good. The 2nd monitor is hotter than the 1st. But I don't turn that secondary monitor on all the time. I only use it to do multiple application work, so it doesn't bother me.

It looks like the NEC3090WQXI uses an H-IPS panel, a newer IPS tech that improves upon S-IPS. I'm having a tough time deciding. I wish one stood out amongst the pack.

If you don't need tons of inputs go for the HP, i'm very happy with mine, like others have said great monitor:D

overlooked that you stated gaming as primary use.
my vote also goes to the LP 3065 in this case (low lag)
the 30'' LG W3000H would also be an option.

(the monitors won't work for game consoles since they are lacking a scaler. If that's important get the NEC or Eizo... or a HDTV-set in addition to the HP or LG)

I went through the same decision a few months ago and decided on the Gateway XHD3000. Been very happy with it. IIRC, it uses the same panel as the Samsung 305T.

I just picked up a refurb 3008WFP and it's the cat's ass. Brilliant colors, super sharp text. If you ever think you'll need more than DVI connections, this is the one to get.

Plus the panel frame/stand is just gorgeous. Did I mention a built-in card reader? Nice little bonus.

I wanted a 30" with multiple inputs, so I tried the Gateway. I returned it after the PSU fried itself within 3 weeks. That unpleasantness along with the Gateway's 1 year warranty prevented me from buying another.

Next, I considered the HP and Dell 3008. The Dell had more inputs and looked a lot sexier, so it won. I bought a 3008 refurb and am thrilled with it. Razor sharp clarity, brilliant colors, great build and appearance, no lag, 3 year warranty (I upped it to 5). Gaming is unbelievable on it, too. My recommendation goes to the 3008.

Which stores have 30 inch monitors on display? Best Buy and Fry's don't seem to have any.

Some frys used to have the gateway xhd3000 and some hp whose model number I don't recall.

We haven't got any new models recently with the recession, 30 inch monitors are so 2007/2008. It is no longer a want and more of a need for the people who buy them.

I've got the 3007wfp-hc and love it. The 3008 would have been more my choice if I had the scratch for it.

Dell also has a killer warranty deal (albeit sucky CSRs).

My vote's on the Dell.

What is with you people? The 3008 has horrendous input lag! The OP said "I want the best possible monitor I can buy strictly for gaming", and getting a screen that's delayed by 50ms is insane.

If you have to deal with Dell as a company you'll regret making the purchase.

What is with you people? The 3008 has horrendous input lag! The OP said "I want the best possible monitor I can buy strictly for gaming", and getting a screen that's delayed by 50ms is insane.
The words of one who has read too many reviews and never actually
used a 3008. It's an excellent gaming LCD, FPS included.

If you have to deal with Dell as a company you'll regret making the purchase.
Not my experience. After I bought a new 3007, Dell cross-shipped replacements 3 times for me at their expense. That's far beyond what I'd expect from a company.

The words of one who has read too many reviews and never actually used a 3008. It's an excellent gaming LCD, FPS included.
You think it is because you're insensitive to the lag. If the lag number is real (and different sources have verified it), it's not necessary for me to use one in person. Even RTS's are affected, since the cursor feels all loose from the delayed feedback.

And aside from being "sensitive" to it, it physically effectively adds 50ms to your ping, and serious FPS gamers know that's serious.

the 3008 has had a drop in price. Our we expecting a 3009 soon? there are already trivkling out the **09 models. Any insider scoops here?

You think it is because you're insensitive to the lag. If the lag number is real (and different sources have verified it), it's not necessary for me to use one in person. Even RTS's are affected, since the cursor feels all loose from the delayed feedback.

And aside from being "sensitive" to it, it physically effectively adds 50ms to your ping, and serious FPS gamers know that's serious.
Fine. You read the reviews, break out the timers and calculators, and follow what others say. I'll be enjoying COD4, Dead Space, L4D and every other game on my 3008. ;)

Not my experience. After I bought a new 3007, Dell cross-shipped replacements 3 times for me at their expense. That's far beyond what I'd expect from a company.

Honoring a warranty is a legal obligation. But if you're telling me you had seemless customer support I would not believe you.

Dell used to be superb when it came to customer service - not even 2-3 years ago... but my how things have changed.

I'm on my 5th 3007wfp-HC. They do exchanges. But doing these 4 exchanges has totaled over 13 hours of call time to their CSR's. They won't take returns after 21 days, which for me was how long it took me to get my first monitor! (snow and holiday season).

As to the claim that the 3008 doesn't have lag - I guess ignorance to fact and data persists in all places when it comes to subjective evaluation.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=413&p1=3936&ma2=88&ph=12

Honoring a warranty is a legal obligation. But if you're telling me you had seemless customer support I would not believe you.

Dell used to be superb when it came to customer service - not even 2-3 years ago... but my how things have changed.

I'm on my 5th 3007wfp-HC. They do exchanges. But doing these 4 exchanges has totaled over 13 hours of call time to their CSR's. They won't take returns after 21 days, which for me was how long it took me to get my first monitor! (snow and holiday season).

As to the claim that the 3008 doesn't have lag - I guess ignorance to fact and data persists in all places when it comes to subjective evaluation.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=413&p1=3936&ma2=88&ph=12

What qualifies as a warranty issue? I feel with you, but theres nothing saying that you are right when it's debatable whether it even is a warranty issue (I don't know anything about your case so that might be off). Where I live you start count the days after the monitor has been delivered.
Also, Dell isn't obligated to pay shipping costs both ways.

That input lag test is most likely done at a non-native resolution. Also latest findings suggest that the A02 revision isn't as bad...

Is there hard evidence about the Ao2 revision like on digitalversus? Also is there a way to do a lag test on native resolution? Don't they always compare it to CRT which won't go that high? And if that's the case how did digital versus do the 3007?

I'd probably take a 305T personally even though it would have the black crush being VA. It says 29ms input lag for it on digital versus which is bearable and they are currently going for $999 whereas the IPS are like $1200.

The reason I would choose that is the black level is probably a lot better than the 30inch IPS. Monitors that can't get a .2 or lower black level are really annoying to me and I don't imagine a 30inch IPS can come close to that (but 24 and smaller can) and I'm not even sure if the 305T can do it.

The black crush effect of VA panels is the 3rd most annoying problem with them, the first is blurry text (which I've only seen on MVA panels not S-PVA), and Input lag (which this one has pretty low for a VA panel).

Where I live you start count the days after the monitor has been delivered.

Well, unfortunately Dell doesn't go by that system anywhere. In fact, most retailers don't. I'd be a bit careful about that assumption. Plenty of people receive things outside of the 21 days during weather and holidays. Something to watch out for...

Would recommend the Samsung 305T+, used an Apple Cinema 30" for many years and DELL 3007WFP-HC for a bit, but settled on getting the 305T+.

I would still prefer a S-IPS panel over S-PVA, but with all the problems with the new S-IPS panels have right now the best 30" would be the samsung S-PVA panel, yes there is black crush.. input lag on average 29ms, but the contrast and blacks are very good and better than an S-IPS making the games look a whole lot nicer, yes there is some lag but you get used to it real fast. Plus the response time of 6 ms G2G is pretty good, other advantage is the white is a higher temperature on this PVA versus the DELL 3007WFP-HC which was so low the whites look kinda reddish.. my whites on the PVA look very white.... the last good advantage is that the PVA panel has very little sparkle effect, yes there is anti glare coating but it is very little compared to the IPS panels..

this is all based on my experiences im sure others would argue, but as for me, if they made the perfect IPS panel.. with no sparkle effect.. white .. whites... and low input lag and fast response time then for sure ill get IPS over PVA anyday!

Yea, the only reason I would choose the Dell over Samsung is if you do photo editing. A PVA is even worse than TN for photo editing imo. That black crush effect makes it so you can never tell if you have the gamma set properly for anything so it will match up on another monitor.

Blah, I don't like your sig Pkirk:

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!! "

The phrase "support your troops" is the same thing as saying "support your government" because the troops don't make decisions, they take orders...from the govt. So your cute little catch phrase is basically saying "never question the chain of command no matter what kind of psycho gets to the top of it, just obey". Do you see how blatantly irresponsible and ridiculous posting that is? If people took your advice, we would probably still be fighting the Japanese and Germans...

Any slogan blatantly telling you "Do not use your brain under any circumstances" is probably a bad fucking idea.

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!! "

The phrase "support your troops" is the same thing as saying "support your government" because the troops don't make decisions, they take orders...from the govt. So your cute little catch phrase is basically saying "never question the chain of command no matter what kind of psycho gets to the top of it, just obey". Do you see how blatantly irresponsible and ridiculous posting that is? If people took your advice, we would probably still be fighting the Japanese and Germans...

Any slogan blatantly telling you "Do not use your brain under any circumstances" is probably a bad fucking idea.

LOL, you're gonna argue with a 20 year retired army vet? GL.

There is a big difference between supporting the troops and supporting the mission!

If you don't agree with the mission you can protest against the politicians, but you should still support the troops.

Why the off-topic rants? If you don't like someone's sig send them a personal message. Why derail the thread?

Now back to topic - what are the advantages of the Gateway 30" over the Dell (some posters indicated they think the Gateway has some advantages)?

My dad sells photography equipment, and, considering that photography equipment now includes computers, he also sells Eizo monitors. If you can afford the Eizo, go for it. They are the most beautiful monitors I have ever seen. I've seen Dells, I've seen Samsungs, I've seen Apples, but the Eizo blows them out of the water. I haven't heard of any major problems with them quality wise, and you've probably got a lot less chance of getting a lemon than you do with a Dell or other mass-produced one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

just checked out eizo. way too rich for my blood. i'll stick with a dell or gateway.

to the person who asked where you can see them live, if you have a microcenter near you, take a look. the one by me has the dell 3007HC and the gateway xhd3000. Pretty swanky.

Back