Which 30" display?

What about the Lg W3000-H, its 1150 on newegg. I don't ever see much information on that monitor.

What about the Lg W3000-H, its 1150 on newegg. I don't ever see much information on that monitor.
It's got the same IPS panel as my 3008WFP. A few people on [H] have it. If you search the Displays forum, you should be able to find some pics.

I've had my 3008 for a few weeks now and agree with Wolf. I got mine off of dell outlet for $1099 with a free 3 year warranty and zero dead pixel policy. Yes, its a little more than some other 30" out there, but the peace-of-mind is totally worth the premium.

I can understand that it may be a little scary buying something refurbished, but mine has zero dead pixels and zero backlight bleed...so I'm very happy!

It also has more inputs than any other 30" out there....so its very versatile.

My one and only complaint is that the stand seems a little cheap...it looks cool, but feels cheap. I preferred the stand on the 3007 series better, but this is just a small thing.

do you notice any input lag with the 3008?

Short answer: NO

I know it exists, but I have played Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, etc...and cannot see or notice any lag.

Again, some say they can tell, but I've only noticed improvement in my gaming since going 30"

Then again, that they have the same panel doesn't mean that much in the end.

And why would you want that?

Compatibility with newer graphics cards, smaller cable, etc.

I don't know, but at this price it's better to have more than you need rather than not enough.

True, but DVI will not be "not enough" in ages...
Just as VGA is still supported, more than 10 years after DVI was introduced (and VGA will be supported in many more years to come). Note that it is to my knowledge impossible to buy a graphic card that doesn't have analogue out even, so it's not that you have to limit yourself to some low-end or expensive hardware to get it - you can't get rid of it even if you wanted.

It feels a bit odd to base the decision for a 30" monitor today, on the fact that in 10 years you might have to buy an adapter if you want to continue using DVI.

Displayport has some neat uses though, problem is that the displayport used in the 3008WFP is already old, and thats when theres barely any displayport products on the market so I wouldn't be surprised if there were compability issues and limitations if you wanted the 3008WFP to be a part of a linked series for instance, and the bandwidth for the old displayport might also be a limiting factor for that.

Personally I bought the 3008WFP partly because of the multiple inputs. I've always had monitors that had multiple inputs since 1999 and gotten used to it, seemed odd that the most expensive one I'd buy were the only one without it - seemed quite cheap.
The best thing about the displayport is that it. with the other two DVI inputs, allows for three inputs in native resolution, but I wouldn't care if the displayport would have been a DVI input instead.

My advice would be to not factor in displayport in the decision of buying a 30" display today. Then again, if you want multiple inputs the choices are limitied. Theres only the HP 3065, Dell 3008WFP (and the Gateway - but that one isn't even available here) unless you get up to the price range of the NEC 3090 etc.

True, but DVI will not be "not enough" in ages...
Just as VGA is still supported, more than 10 years after DVI was introduced (and VGA will be supported in many more years to come). Note that it is to my knowledge impossible to buy a graphic card that doesn't have analogue out even, so it's not that you have to limit yourself to some low-end or expensive hardware to get it - you can't get rid of it even if you wanted.

It feels a bit odd to base the decision for a 30" monitor today, on the fact that in 10 years you might have to buy an adapter if you want to continue using DVI.

Displayport has some neat uses though, problem is that the displayport used in the 3008WFP is already old, and thats when theres barely any displayport products on the market so I wouldn't be surprised if there were compability issues and limitations if you wanted the 3008WFP to be a part of a linked series for instance, and the bandwidth for the old displayport might also be a limiting factor for that.

Personally I bought the 3008WFP partly because of the multiple inputs. I've always had monitors that had multiple inputs since 1999 and gotten used to it, seemed odd that the most expensive one I'd buy were the only one without it - seemed quite cheap.
The best thing about the displayport is that it. with the other two DVI inputs, allows for three inputs in native resolution, but I wouldn't care if the displayport would have been a DVI input instead.

My advice would be to not factor in displayport in the decision of buying a 30" display today. Then again, if you want multiple inputs the choices are limitied. Theres only the HP 3065, Dell 3008WFP (and the Gateway - but that one isn't even available here) unless you get up to the price range of the NEC 3090 etc.

Fair enough. How are the colors and black levels on the 3007 and 3008?

I bought my 3008WFP from dell outlet on the 10th (Sunday). On Monday, as soon as they saw the order placed, they delayed it. I am assuming because they were out of stock. This does not make any sense to me because they clearly list the number of 3008WFP for sale as refurbished items on dell outlet. So why list it if you dont actually have it?

They delayed the expected arrival date to the 22nd, this friday.

Has anyone else who has recently bought one of these experienced this same issue?

If you don't care about Displayport (I do), my preference would be the 305T over the 3008 because the black levels are far better on the 305T as well as the contrast, because of the black level being so low again. Check some reviews and you'll see that the contrast level on the 3008 is about 750:1 where the 305T gets around 990:1. You know what a difference contrast can make in the HDTV world, so my thought is why skimp on that when choosing a 30" monitor? The 3008 will have slightly better color reproduction but unless you are an imaging pro, and are going to buy a calibration system, you will find the colors on the 305T better out of the box.

If you don't care about Displayport (I do), my preference would be the 305T over the 3008 because the black levels are far better on the 305T as well as the contrast, because of the black level being so low again. Check some reviews and you'll see that the contrast level on the 3008 is about 750:1 where the 305T gets around 990:1. You know what a difference contrast can make in the HDTV world, so my thought is why skimp on that when choosing a 30" monitor? The 3008 will have slightly better color reproduction but unless you are an imaging pro, and are going to buy a calibration system, you will find the colors on the 305T better out of the box.

I didn't care for my last samsung (245BW), so I don't know. I'm leaning towards Dell because of their support and because I get a 10% discount.

Still don't know why they jacked the price of the 3008 way up.

Well, graduation's coming up, and I need to make a choice.

Other than the lower input lag (not really a deal breaker for me), are there any benefits to the 3007 over the 3008? I believe I get a 10% discount only through the normal store, so it looks as if refurbs are out of the question, and the current pricing of the 3008s is pretty ridiculous.

Anyone know what's up with the 3008s pricing as of late?

If you don't mind getting one via Dell Outlet

I got mine via outlet and it has zero dead pixels and zero backlight bleed problems.

Dell Outlet also offers complete 3 year warranty and zero dead pixel policy.

i cant afford a 30in right now (have to save money), but if i had the cash, i would go with the dell. i have a question for you all, do you make your desktop icons and text bigger using those 30inches??!?

i cant afford a 30in right now (have to save money), but if i had the cash, i would go with the dell. i have a question for you all, do you make your desktop icons and text bigger using those 30inches??!?

You can, but there is not much point if your sitting 1-2 feet away from it.

I've had my 3008 for a few weeks now and agree with Wolf. I got mine off of dell outlet for $1099 with a free 3 year warranty and zero dead pixel policy. Yes, its a little more than some other 30" out there, but the peace-of-mind is totally worth the premium.

I can understand that it may be a little scary buying something refurbished, but mine has zero dead pixels and zero backlight bleed...so I'm very happy!

It also has more inputs than any other 30" out there....so its very versatile.

My one and only complaint is that the stand seems a little cheap...it looks cool, but feels cheap. I preferred the stand on the 3007 series better, but this is just a small thing.

Exact same here. I almost started typing the same thing. Got it refurbished, have had it for a few weeks, works perfectly, no dead pixels or back light bleeding and I agree that the stand is a bit weak.

Just found my Samsung 305t for 729.00 shipped.
Sold both of my Dell 3007WFP-HC monitors only because I didnt like the heavy anti-glare coating they use.

If you don't mind getting one via Dell Outlet

I got mine via outlet and it has zero dead pixels and zero backlight bleed problems.

Dell Outlet also offers complete 3 year warranty and zero dead pixel policy.

That's what I meant by refurbs. I'm not sure the discount applies to Dell Outlet purchases.

Basically, I think I'll get the refurbed 3008 if the discount works, and the new 3007 if it doesn't.

Or if I find some crazy good deal on another brand, I may go with that.

Recently, Dell's been screwing around with their pricing. The cheapest place to get a 3007WFP-HC is Costco for $999, but I don't get the 10% discount there.

After taxes, the 3007WFP-HC comes to $1082.49.
After the 10% discount, the 3008WFP comes to $1259.10. I don't think I have to pay taxes on an online purchase (I live in Texas).

Is the 3008WFP worth the extra $176.61 over the 3007WFP-HC?

Someone on another forum suggested an HP. Is there any reason to go with HP over Dell?

Recently, Dell's been screwing around with their pricing. The cheapest place to get a 3007WFP-HC is Costco for $999, but I don't get the 10% discount there.

After taxes, the 3007WFP-HC comes to $1082.49.
After the 10% discount, the 3008WFP comes to $1259.10. I don't think I have to pay taxes on an online purchase (I live in Texas).

Is the 3008WFP worth the extra $176.61 over the 3007WFP-HC?

Someone on another forum suggested an HP. Is there any reason to go with HP over Dell?

The 3007WFP-HC and the HP seems to be pretty much the same thing only that the HP has three inputs and the dell only one. For that reason I'd choose the HP (and since the 3007WFP-HC isn't available where I live it made the comparison even easier ;)).
Since HP upped the price about $400 where I live, which made the price point pretty much the same as with the 3008WFP I choosed Dell.

Whether the 3008WFP is worth it depends on your preferences. The 3008WFP seems to have (from posts I've read here) less aggressive coating and it comes with tons of inputs and a scaler. It has a newer H-IPS panel but whether that would make it worth it seems to be debatable. The main drawback (besides the price) is perhaps the input lag.

But people will give different answers depending on their experiences. I've read that the 3008WFP is by far the better display and I've read that there is basically no difference between it and the 3007WFP-HC so...

In my opinion the 3008 is the safer bet if you don't think the input lag will bother you. I can't say if it's worth it and input lag alone is a tough topic for some so that makes it harder.
Another post (and thread) about the 3008 and input lag.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033727674&postcount=80

Decided to go with the 3007WFP-HC from Costco. Their return policy is pretty good, so if I change my mind, I can switch to a 2008WFP pretty easily.

Just found my Samsung 305t for 729.00 shipped.
Sold both of my Dell 3007WFP-HC monitors only because I didnt like the heavy anti-glare coating they use.

Just a followup to my own post to anyone who is interested.

I did receive the Samsung 305t today and everything works perfect with no dead or bad pixels.

Although not as heavy as the Dell 3007WFP-HC I still can see the sparkle effect because of the anti-glare coating. Not as bad as the 3007 but it is still there.

Another thing that I was noticing. I was comparing it next to my Planar PX2611 with different solid colors and I noticed that the Planar with the IPS screen does have more of a color shift than the 305t if you look at it from the side. As an example with solid blue it stays the same blue if you look from the side on the Samsung 305 but with the Planar it turns almost purple. Yes I know about the purple glow with IPS type screens but I still would consider it a color shift.

Also on the Planar you do not see the sparkle of the anti-glare coating. Just wish I could find a 30 inch the same way.

Awesome. Got my 3007WFP-HC in the mail this morning. Sams Club said to expect 7 to 10 days processing, then some additional shipping time. I ordered on Saturday night, so I'm pretty pleased with the 4 days it took.

Hi,

I have the 3007WFP-HC and have used the 3007WFP and the Apple Cinema Displays (20, 23, 30).

Long story short, the HC seems to have a yellowing backlight and the colours are very strong. The colours are a side-effect of it being a wide-gamut display however the backlight is not; I've seen the HC displays at LAN events where the backlight is a properly balanced neutral white.

What's strange is this display is the second one - I'm in the process of sending back my other 3007WFP-HC for a different issue.

Comparing this to a much older Apple Cinema Display 20", the ACD is FAR nicer to look at - backlight is more white, colours just seem more natural. I'm not going to pick on the colour as the gamut is completely different between these displays. The original 3007WFP didn't seem to have this problem.

What's strange is the HP LP2475W panels I have at work are fine in the backlight department.

Thoughts?

The state of 30" panels is dismal. I'm trying to replace my original 3007WFP and from what I can tell, I might just as well wait for a new gen of panels at this point. The comments on what is left of the current crop (which are few models still out there) are pretty lame. I hope the wait is not too much longer. The new thin TV panels coming out look great, but computer monitors seem to be stuck in the dark ages. I don't really get it.

So far I'm really liking the 3007WFP-HC. Just need to figure out how to calibrate it. I did notice a yellow tint toward the bottom of the screen -- either it wore off or I got used to it. It has 2 stuck pixels that won't fix, so I'll probably have to get it replaced.

would a 3007 30in work with my video card?

Last edited:
Looking to get a 30 incher to replace dual 24, lots of people recommends Dell, how about the LG 30in IPS?

Back