Which 23/24" panel?

The Real Zardoz

Weaksauce
As per title.

I currently use a Sony G520. I had a Dell 2405FPW for a short while - I noticed the lag straight out of the box, so it went back to Dell for a full refund. I liked the size, but found the screen a bit bright for me, plus I could feel the heat it was belting out in my face!

I have always liked the Apple Cinema displays - especially the 30" (I reckon the 30 has it all over the 23 for colour). I do perfer the S-IPS panels as well.

I owned a BenQ FP202W for a few days until my brother decided he wanted it to replace his failing Sony G400. I loved that screen - although the colours needed a bit of fiddling due to the brownish tinge the white had, but side-by-side to my CRT, I reckon the panel was nicer to look at. Bit of viewing angle botheration up/down but side/side was fine unlike the Dell.... response time was perfect to me. The BenQ was too small, though.

I had a look at a Dell 2405 the other day - despite the lag, I love the colour range and contrast that panel had. However.. lag puts that out of the running.

I understand the BenQ is of a newer generation S-IPS panel than the 23" LG-Philips offerings. I am considering an HP L2335 although I am worried about the older gen panel.

Is there a newer gen 23" panel out by LG-Philips? I'd go the 30" Dell (I understand these are S-IPS, too) but they're a bit pricey and lack a second input as I tend to use multiple inputs on my screens at the moment (including VGA).

Graphics card is a 7800GTX. I run at 1600x1200 on my G520 at 100Hz.

How about the 24" Acer AL2416WD, considering its around $700 and it's quite new. I heard only good things about it. It uses a P-MVA panel different from the 2405FPW so you may not see the lag and the low viewing angle as experienced on certain Samsung panels.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQ07GA/ref=nosim/102-3831580-9080111?n=172282

The HP L2335 is nice, but it is quite an old model as you said so it may not be as good for gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure the Acer is any better than the Dell...

The major specs read identical: 1000:1 contrast, 500 brightness, 178 degree viewing angle, 0.27mm pixel pitch. Also matching the 2405's specs is the astronomically overpriced Samsung 244t.

I agree. PVA and MVA both have quite poor viewing angles and will be similar. I would go for the 2335 even though it is older. Since it has a S-IPS panel.

Back