Which 2.1 Speakers should I keep?

Potatocodone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
4,859
So I have two choices of speakers to keep and past the other set to my family.

-Logitech Z-2300 THX 2.1 (roughly 2 years old)
-Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1 (roughly 5 years old?)

I believe both are roughly 200 watt. I'm coming from an older Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers 500 watt dual sub (No idea how old... maybe 9 years old?). I'm no audio expert but I do like quality.
 
I'm no audio expert but I do like quality.

Then you are really looking in the wrong place. Cheap plastic computer speakers are the complete opposite of quality. We'll point you in the right direction if you are willing to let them both go.

Budget?
 
I would keep the Klipsch Promedia's and give the Logitech's to the family. Promedia's are more likely to go, but also are supposed to sound a little better so you could keep them and then upgrade to real speakers when they blow. And then the fam would have a pair of decently reliable speakers and not think of you as the one who just tosses them their old half-broken crap. ;)

Like criccio though, based on your former setup, you'll probably think the Promedia's are a step down (Logitech's would be worse) so you might want to just pass off both of those to family and friends and then buy some higher quality speakers. The good thing is that real speakers made with better construction and decent components tend to last longer.
 
Well I didn't really have budget plan out. Just so happens I have these speakers sitting around. One thing lead to another and they just suddenly appear in my life.

But if I was to lay down some budget and plan out to buy some speakers... I guess $150~ range?
 
Last edited:
For $150 you can *easily* beat the options you listed. Light-years better is no exaggeration.
 
Thanks guys. My friend is also wants to jump off the Logitech boat (hes on the X-230 or something).

What would you guys recommend for under $100? "Farther away from $100 the better" he says.
 
The options for $100 and under are pretty slim. I'd tell your friend to wait and save enough $$ for either the Samson or M-Audio monitors that criccio listed.
 
Under $100...

Used amp/receiver + used bookshelf speakers (even low-end stuff from Polk and Infinity will blow away x-230's)
 
Thanks guys. My friend is also wants to jump off the Logitech boat (hes on the X-230 or something).

What would you guys recommend for under $100? "Farther away from $100 the better" he says.

I would recommend the Boston Acoustic mm226 in mist if you can find them, but they appear to be OOS. They were selling on amazon for $70 or less for a long while, but they appear OOS now. You could also try something from thespeakercompany and find a used stereo receiver on ebay.
 
Back
Top